Quantcast
Benchmark Dac 1 As good as Apogee Symphony? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Benchmark Dac 1 As good as Apogee Symphony?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Benchmark Dac 1 As good as Apogee Symphony?

Ad conversion and everything else aside, how does the Dac 1 hold up to the symphony. I know the Dac 1 was extremely loved, but its a 12 year old converter and not sure if its as good as newer converters.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nobody has use both?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Probably not. I think you're mistaken in thinking something significant has changed in 12 years of digital audio--it hasn't. In fact, the companies that make converters (Cirrus etc) don't make their high end stuff anymore because no one buys it! It's all **** for phones now, that's where the money and the market is. So if anything, 12 year old digital is the sweet spot! The industry has been down the tubes since. Plus, the people now a days don't have analog skillz like the designers past--that will truly be a lost art in our lifetimes.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew ➑️
Probably not. I think you're mistaken in thinking something significant has changed in 12 years of digital audio--it hasn't. In fact, the companies that make converters (Cirrus etc) don't make their high end stuff anymore because no one buys it! It's all **** for phones now, that's where the money and the market is. So if anything, 12 year old digital is the sweet spot! The industry has been down the tubes since. Plus, the people now a days don't have analog skillz like the designers past--that will truly be a lost art in our lifetimes.
Yea I was just told to get the old Apogee AD 8000! They said I'd do very well with it. Its from the 90's as you said!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz ➑️
Yea I was just told to get the old Apogee AD 8000! They said I'd do very well with it. Its from the 90's as you said!
who told u that??? I can't cosign that recommendation. Even cheaper recent converters blow the ad 8000 out of the water.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Benchmark has moved the benchmark DAC-1 along...the DAC-2 is their new king.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I guess folks should understand that the main differences will be in the analog circuitry, not necessarily the converters. There will be differences in the analog paths that provide the usually subtle differences that CAN be heard between interfaces/converters. Also, benchmark dac1 is just a da. Symphony provides incredible I/O flexibility across both da and ad. So if all you want to do is monitor, then benchmark is more than worthy. Excellent da. I have one so I can write this. But although I don't have a symphony (have Roseeta 200 in my closet), apogee makes great converters and symphony is crazy flexible. So it really depends on what you need for your workflow. If only monitoring, benchmark is just fine. Nifty you need an all in one interface with multiple da and ad, the symphony might be a better choice, understanding that there are other alternatives as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaD ➑️
who told u that??? I can't cosign that recommendation. Even cheaper recent converters blow the ad 8000 out of the water.
Thank you!!!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you want a top quality DAC monitor controller, then the Grace m903 would be top of my list - also the DACS Clarity HeadMaster (at lower cost).
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Apogee AD8000SE is still sound good as today if you don't do any recording above 48k sampling rate you be fine with it. Cheap converter made today not going to blow it out of the water as poster above said. Good converter is still a good converter by designs not by technology. Older gear has more vibe than newer gear on mostly cheaper products...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IIRC the AD8000 had 8 AtoD converters...the Dto A was optional...either in 2 channel or 8 channel configuration
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude ➑️
Apogee AD8000SE is still sound good as today if you don't do any recording above 48k sampling rate you be fine with it. Cheap converter made today not going to blow it out of the water as poster above said. Good converter is still a good converter by designs not by technology. Older gear has more vibe than newer gear on mostly cheaper products...
I'm still using the Panasonic Ramsa DA7 and I just recently compared some newer converters against it. But as you said, my older converters were a little warmer with a round smooth vibe to them. I prefer that in this digital world.

So if I can get clean convertion with some warmth I'll be happy. Super clean isn't what I need, I like a little flavor...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The DAC-1 is going to be great for many years to come.
At times it can be a bit hard to not fall for all the marketing B.S.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad ➑️
The DAC-1 is going to be great for many years to come.
At times it can be a bit hard to not fall for all the marketing B.S.
Is that A/D as well?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, so i went and bought the benchmark. I hooked up the the OUT/Spdif of my echo audiofire interface to the IN/BNC of the benchmark, yet i am getting no sound. I set the front switch to Coaxial/BNC and the light is blue meaning i am receiving a signal, yet i am getting no sound. Any help hooking this up.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella ➑️
Hey guys, so i went and bought the benchmark. I hooked up the the OUT/Spdif of my echo audiofire interface to the IN/BNC of theand nchmark, yet i am getting no sound. I set the front switch to Coaxial/BNC and the light is blue meaning i am receiving a signal, yet i am getting no sound. Any help hooking this up.
see if you can lock it to spdif, most units have their own crystal clock to sync to. Make sure all sample rates match.

But also make sure your audio interface is routing the output to the spdif and not the analog output. Go to the control panel of your interface and make sure its not set to optical or adat...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
see if you can lock it to spdif, most units have their own crystal clock to sync to. Make sure all sample rates match.

But also make sure your audio interface is routing the output to the spdif and not the analog output. Go to the control panel of your interface and make sure its not set to optical or adat...
The Benchmark does not have spdif, only BNC, optical and AES, instead it comes with an Spdif to BNC adapter, I connected a spdif cable, one end with the adapter to the IN of the Benchmark and the other end spdif to the OUT of the Audiofire. In the audiofire software i have it set up to internal clock.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Benchmark does not have spdif, only BNC, optical and AES, instead it comes with an Spdif to BNC adapter, I connected a spdif cable, one end with the adapter to the IN of the Benchmark and the other end spdif to the OUT of the Audiofire. In the audiofire software i have it set up to internal clock.
yea that BNC is for clocking only, does your interface have optical? But it sound like you hooked up the word clock to the spdif. They're both digital, but spdif has the audio and BNC is word clock for syncing.

They both can use RCA cable, but it will not pass audio thru BNC. Try optical to optical.

Also many interface will allow to convert spdif to AES, but you'll need a little metal spdif to AES converter. If your interface does have optical, you'll need a coaxial to optical converter...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yea that BNC is for clocking only, does your interface have optical? But it sound like you hooked up the word clock to the spdif. They're both digital, but spdif has the audio and BNC is word clock for syncing.

They both can use RCA cable, but it will not pass audio thru BNC. Try optical to optical.

Also many interface will allow to convert spdif to AES, but you'll need a little metal spdif to AES converter. If your interface does have optical, you'll need a coaxial to optical converter...
I Got it. I forgot to set the output in my DAW to "SPDIF Out 1-2" . Now i just cant play regular music in my pc. Have to find where to set the out to spdif as well. Thanks
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK got everything up and running. This thing sounds Awsome!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I Got it. I forgot to set the output in my DAW to "SPDIF Out 1-2" . Now i just cant play regular music in my pc. Have to find where to set the out to spdif as well. Thanks
Yea thats tricky, windows will not let me set the pathway to the digital outs. You have to do that in the interface's control panel. I have templates I cycle thru, I also have mix tabs I can select to activate certain channels to blend with the main stereo outs. You gotta play around in your control panel.
πŸ“ Reply