Quantcast
Studer a80 or the Ampex atr 102? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer a80 or the Ampex atr 102?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Studer a80 or the Ampex atr 102?

It's 2014 and I am ready to make my first 2track R2R purchase. I have read a lot on both of these decks but keep on going back and forth on choosing. I do not have much experience with either of these decks but I would like a pro deck at my studio and wonder if anyone could share some insight on which they would choose over the other and why? Both of these are currently available to me at a comparable price. It would be used as a mix down deck, and my main criteria is a great sounding machine then yes reliability. Musical styles span folk, jazz, pop, rock, hip hop to dance.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Since you're in LA I would choose a tape machine that is in perfect working condition.. whatever it is.. studers are relatively "clean" (while the a80 has its sound though), also some parts for the a80 might be expensive and difficult to find (especially true if you're in the US), just keep that in mind.. that said...studers are really great and solid machines.. incredibly well built..

Btw I suggest to get in touch with Chris Mara in Nashville (nobraineraudio), he refurbs the mci JH machines.. in this case you get basically a new machine in 2014.. they're quite stable, since he passes through them and bringing them back better than what they were when new.. (I got an MCI JH 24 16 tracks on to 2").
I really like the mci sound.. they sound fat and ballsy.. instant tape vibe imho.. if this is good for you I can't tell.. but I like it. I believe VK sells them too..you might want to check that out.

I own a perfectly reconditioned Studer C37 stereo 1/4", which beside being from 1961, it's rather "hi-fi" sounding with a tube godness going on... it's amazing what it does to the depth and wideness of a record.. really nice!

It doesn't really matter which tape machine you get, get one that works perfectly and that is not an hassle, even if that might cost you more at first. Of course they do sound different to one from another (different make/models)...

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Will you be 1/4" or 1/2" ?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Obtain the machine from a dealer and never from Ebay. Don't buy a used up broadcast machine. Decide to buy the machine based on how easy it is to get it serviced in your locale. That would be the Studer.

Don't buy a worn out machine.

Go to a Tape Camp weekend to learn how to set up your tape recorder. Don't screw around. Using a tape recorder involves active participation in the sound and in the maintenance.

I think that starting off with a Mara machine is a pretty good suggestion.

Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Since you're in LA I would choose a tape machine that is in perfect working condition.. whatever it is.. studers are relatively "clean" (while the a80 has its sound though), also some parts for the a80 might be expensive and difficult to find (especially true if you're in the US), just keep that in mind.. that said...studers are really great and solid machines.. incredibly well built..

Btw I suggest to get in touch with Chris Mara in Nashville (nobraineraudio), he refurbs the mci JH machines.. in this case you get basically a new machine in 2014.. they're quite stable, since he passes through them and bringing them better than what they were when new.. (I got an MCI JH 24 16 tracks on to 2").
I really like the mci sound.. they sound fat and ballsy.. instant tape vibe imho.. if this is good for you I can't tell.. but I like it. I believe VK sells them too..you might want to check that out.

I own a perfectly reconditioned Studer C37 stereo 1/4", which beside being from 1961, it's rather "hi-fi" sounding with a tube godness going on... it's amazing what it does to the depth and wideness of a record.. really nice!

It doesn't really matter which tape machine you get, get one that works perfectly and that is not an hassle, even if that might cost you more at first. Of course they do sound different to one from another (different make/models)...

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Thanks for that. I will look into the mci machine. The studer a80 actually comes from a technician and is 1/2". The ampex has the metal capstan and the tech looked at it and said it needs a new one, a rubber one because tape is slipping a bit. I'm seeing fully serviced machines for around $6-7000, and ones in lesser shape around $3000.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS ➡️
Will you be 1/4" or 1/2" ?

The ampex needing the capstan is a 1/4". The studer is 1/2".
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Obtain the machine from a dealer and never from Ebay. Don't buy a used up broadcast machine. Decide to buy the machine based on how easy it is to get it serviced in your locale. That would be the Studer.

Go to a Tape Camp weekend to learn how to set up your tape recorder. Don't screw around. Using a tape recorder involves active participation in the sound and in the maintenance.

I think that starting off with a Mara machine is a pretty good suggestion.

Thanks guys for taking the time to advise. I will definitely try to find a Tape Camp here in Los Angeles. I am willing to take on the responsibility of owning a deck.

Anyway to describe these machines in comparison sonically?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mind ➡️
It's 2014 and I am ready to make my first 2track R2R purchase. I have read a lot on both of these decks but keep on going back and forth on choosing. I do not have much experience with either of these decks but I would like a pro deck at my studio and wonder if anyone could share some insight on which they would choose over the other and why? Both of these are currently available to me at a comparable price. It would be used as a mix down deck, and my main criteria is a great sounding machine then yes reliability. Musical styles span folk, jazz, pop, rock, hip hop to dance.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would buy a ampex ATR102. They are great machines, (maybe the best ever made) great value today and still parts are not too expensive.. Be careful studor parts can be very pricey and hard to optain.. I own 2 , 1 is a back-up.. Make sure you buy the one with 4 speed pagnet, it has phase compensation electronics and sounds really good.. better than the 2 speed pagnet version.. It almost passes a perfect square wave.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ATR. Best sounding machine in stock form. There are guys in LA that service them no problem (Scott Holderman, Charlie Bolis, etc.). Parts will be available in the near to mid term, unlike the Studers where the techs are already starting to shy away from working on them bc of parts availability. The Studer is great if you are handling historic transfers b/c of the very gentle tape handling but other than that the ATR is a better all around deck…
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The machine I've used most is a 1/2" 102 and it sounds amazing...at both 15 and 30 ips. Then again, I've heard engineers who prefer the 1/2" A80. My cousin just got one...will have to check it out soon. The only way to tell is to try both...depends on your "tape aesthetic"!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer ➡️
ATR. Best sounding machine in stock form. There are guys in LA that service them no problem (Scott Holderman, Charlie Bolis, etc.). Parts will be available in the near to mid term, unlike the Studers where the techs are already starting to shy away from working on them bc of parts availability. The Studer is great if you are handling historic transfers b/c of the very gentle tape handling but other than that the ATR is a better all around deck…

Awesome thanks guys!
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks guys for taking the time to advise. I will definitely try to find a Tape Camp here in Los Angeles. I am willing to take on the responsibility of owning a deck.

Anyway to describe these machines in comparison sonically?
I never used an atr myself, so i can't tell..I heard very good things about it, but never in person..so I can't help there..
..but I used/heard several studers (including the a80), and the mci jh series (jh24 and jh110) that Chris Mara refurbishes..
If you're looking for the "tape sound" I'd go with the Mara machines, as I said they're fat, ballsy, they do really sound good (I actually prefer the ones without xformers)..and they're reliable after Chris went through them.. they're very nice imho.

Studers are great machines and they do sound great too, depending on the model but generally speaking even an a80 (which has a character) are relatively clean.. Studer wanted cleanliness and perfect audio so they didn't look for vibe but for correct presentation (at least as much as it was possible back then, using tape).. the mechanical parts of a Studer are a work of art, they're incredibly well built, all quality parts, that's why they were so freaking expensive..plus they were made in Switzerland, which is not a cheap country to manufacture or live.. by any means..

In 2014 if I want a clean sound I could look into converters and digital technology which is really great if you think about it.. especially dsd..it does sound great to me..(and if you check my posts you know how do I love working with analog stuff in general)..

so if I have to choose tape in 2014, I'm looking for the "benefits" of it.. the sound, the vibe, the "colour", the tipical compression, the wideness, the depth.. not that the studers doesn't deliver part of that (actually the C37 is pretty amazing) but the mci is just pure fatness to me.. so it gives a very nice and warm hug to the music.. a very distinct classic american sound.. I do like it..a lot.

Unless you work with classic music and like the "clean" presentation of the Studers, mci would be pretty awesome..

Also Chris does some tape camps in Nashville usually but he might do something in LA too.. give him a call.. very nice guy!

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have an a80r that came out of Media Sound by way of Nashville Masters and Ronnie Milsap. It's a lovely sounding deck. A friend who works at one of the more known studios in Chicago that has several ATR 102. He also has an a80r and thought he "needed" to get himself an ATR 102 like the room where he worked. He told me that he wished he hadn't spent the money on the 102 because his a80 sounded great and he didn't gain all the much with the 102.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Great post, Cheu!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it's not an A80RC, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Imho, the only good A80's were the RC range. Otherwise, the transient response is crap. They're a "soft" sounding machine, and in this case, that's not good. I'm a huge fan of the ATR 102's. I've owned probably about 5 of them--1/4" and 1/2". The great thing about Ampex's is that most of the bearings are easy to get--they're American. Everything on a Studer is from Europe. They're are a couple of companies that specialize in 102's in the US--ATR Services is just one of them. On another note, I did a shootout with Allen Sides once, comparing Studer D827 vs. Sony 3348 (I was using the Studer in this case, but it was a DASH machine). Anyway, Allen says, "Let's A/B the machines using an analog source." I say, "Sure, what are we gonna use?" He says, "I'll bring in a 102 with some mixes that I've done." He brings in a 1/4" (we are at Oceanway, btw., circa 1995-96). I say, "You mix to 1/4" with all these 1/2" 102's lying around?" He says, "I believe 1/4" to be superior..."

After that scenario, I went back and re-evaluated my beliefs system. The next time I had the luxury of A/Bing 1/4" vs. 1/2", I chose the 1/4". Turns out, 1/2" 2-track didn't evolve until about 1980. So, many of our favorite records were mixed to 1/4". Just something to think about. Thanks.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I never used an atr myself, so i can't tell..I heard very good things about it, but never in person..so I can't help there..
..but I used/heard several studers (including the a80), and the mci jh series (jh24 and jh110) that Chris Mara refurbishes..
If you're looking for the "tape sound" I'd go with the Mara machines, as I said they're fat, ballsy, they do really sound good (I actually prefer the ones without xformers)..and they're reliable after Chris went through them.. they're very nice imho.

Studers are great machines and they do sound great too, depending on the model but generally speaking even an a80 (which has a character) are relatively clean.. Studer wanted cleanliness and perfect audio so they didn't look for vibe but for correct presentation (at least as much as it was possible back then, using tape).. the mechanical parts of a Studer are a work of art, they're incredibly well built, all quality parts, that's why they were so freaking expensive..plus they were made in Switzerland, which is not a cheap country to manufacture or live.. by any means..

In 2014 if I want a clean sound I could look into converters and digital technology which is really great if you think about it.. especially dsd..it does sound great to me..(and if you check my posts you know how do I love working with analog stuff in general)..

so if I have to choose tape in 2014, I'm looking for the "benefits" of it.. the sound, the vibe, the "colour", the tipical compression, the wideness, the depth.. not that the studers doesn't deliver part of that (actually the C37 is pretty amazing) but the mci is just pure fatness to me.. so it gives a very nice and warm hug to the music.. a very distinct classic american sound.. I do like it..a lot.

Unless you work with classic music and like the "clean" presentation of the Studers, mci would be pretty awesome..

Also Chris does some tape camps in Nashville usually but he might do something in LA too.. give him a call.. very nice guy!

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Cheu,

Thank you very much for all you share. I really appreciate all the insight from everyone responding. All this info absolutely helps with setting me in the right direction!!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
I have an a80r that came out of Media Sound by way of Nashville Masters and Ronnie Milsap. It's a lovely sounding deck. A friend who works at one of the more known studios in Chicago that has several ATR 102. He also has an a80r and thought he "needed" to get himself an ATR 102 like the room where he worked. He told me that he wished he hadn't spent the money on the 102 because his a80 sounded great and he didn't gain all the much with the 102.

Do tape machines vary in sound the same way that the same two vintage microphones would vary in sound? So some people just have the lucky great sounding machines? Seems like there is so many factors from the recording process, the performance, the mix, the mastering, the instruments.....that a fav sounding record that was said to be recorded on a particular machine would sound just as good recorded on another well maintained 2TRk of a different make...

True???
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➡️
If it's not an A80RC, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Imho, the only good A80's were the RC range. Otherwise, the transient response is crap. They're a "soft" sounding machine, and in this case, that's not good. I'm a huge fan of the ATR 102's. I've owned probably about 5 of them--1/4" and 1/2". The great thing about Ampex's is that most of the bearings are easy to get--they're American. Everything on a Studer is from Europe. They're are a couple of companies that specialize in 102's in the US--ATR Services is just one of them. On another note, I did a shootout with Allen Sides once, comparing Studer D827 vs. Sony 3348 (I was using the Studer in this case, but it was a DASH machine). Anyway, Allen says, "Let's A/B the machines using an analog source." I say, "Sure, what are we gonna use?" He says, "I'll bring in a 102 with some mixes that I've done." He brings in a 1/4" (we are at Oceanway, btw., circa 1995-96). I say, "You mix to 1/4" with all these 1/2" 102's lying around?" He says, "I believe 1/4" to be superior..."

After that scenario, I went back and re-evaluated my beliefs system. The next time I had the luxury of A/Bing 1/4" vs. 1/2", I chose the 1/4". Turns out, 1/2" 2-track didn't evolve until about 1980. So, many of our favorite records were mixed to 1/4". Just something to think about. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing this experience! Just fantastic!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do tape machines vary in sound the same way that the same two vintage microphones would vary in sound? So some people just have the lucky great sounding machines? Seems like there is so many factors from the recording process, the performance, the mix, the mastering, the instruments.....that a fav sounding record that was said to be recorded on a particular machine would sound just as good recorded on another well maintained 2TRk of a different make...

True???
No, not really... but especially with tape machines you have wear.. and despite the % of remaining heads, you have the alignment, tape formulations and bias, speed, that plays a big role in the sound... so it's not really like comparing the same mics.. there are several variables that could led to a different sound (for the good or the bad)..

What tekis said (about 1/4" vs 1/2") is true and also backed up by Eric Valentine as well, he wrote it also somewhere here on GS speaking about his tape machines.. even if I believe that is rather subtle after all, but noticeable if you pay attention. (But it won't make a good mix sound ****ty of course..).

Try to find the article about the last Daft Punk record (there are some links here on GS too, I believe it's the SOS article), they really took the time and the commitment to check different speeds, how far pushing the mix, going analog, going digital.. choosing the best for every song...(they used 3 atr's at Capitol) they really worked hard for getting the best results.. they totally deserved what they got imho.

So which tape formulation is best, which bias, etc etc.. it's a matter of taste, what music do you record, what are your goals etc.. but let's say that a well maintained mci jh110 will sound like an mci jh110, a well maintained a80 will sound as an a80 or an atr like an atr.. you get my point, right?
There might be some small differences due to the age and wear, but are usually too small to make a REAL noticeable difference IF the machine is well maintained.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

True???
I think what Cheu says makes sense.
Quote:
but let's say that a well maintained mci jh110 will sound like an mci jh110, a well maintained a80 will sound as an a80 or an atr like an atr.. you get my point, right?
There might be some small differences due to the age and wear, but are usually too small to make a REAL noticeable difference IF the machine is well maintained.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
To the Op, sorry slight digression but could help all the same!

@ Drumsound.

Hey man, I recall you posting in older threads you had an M79 multitrack.. wondering if you could help,
I've got a 1/4" RC I'm rebuilding for mixdowns + stems etc.. so I have yet to hear it. Basically I have the oppurtunity to buy a 2 track M79, and I absolutely love the tone of records tracked to them, amazing bold.. 'projection' if ye like.
Thing is I'm wondering if as a mixdown deck it would be inferior to the A80RC..?, since like Cheu says the RC is pretty clean, and for the 2 bus I would have thought this is better... What are your findings on the difference in sound/depth etc??

I'm aware the 79's arent nearly as reliable, but that aside I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➡️

You are so right with 1/4 vs 1/2 inch.. 1/4" is totally amazing, After so much comparasions, I felt 1/4 had better image, vibe, center phase, fidelity, etc..
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great thread!

After owning and using most models of machines out there...
I found that the Studer C37 is still amazing! (I own 2)
There are so many flavours, solidstate: Scully, Ampex and 3M for "fatness",
Studer A80/A807 for
"clear and clean", the MCI's are somewhere inbetween...
Studer transports (when adjusted) are a work of art...

I think 1/2" is abit overrated, the 1/4" extra is abit meeh...
But if you want to have a "new" machine, go with Mara or AudioVillage refurb Ampex 440c should be the least hassle...
But like other posters have said, there are alot of variables...
Tapeformulations, bias, Nab/Iecc, speed etc.

I favor ATR tape 1/4", 15ips, Iecc, 320nwpermeter...

But everyone has their own favorites, it's all good!

Go for it, and:
Good luck!

Best,
Tom
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think what Cheu says makes sense.
Drumsound where art thou!?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter ➡️
To the Op, sorry slight digression but could help all the same!

@ Drumsound.

Hey man, I recall you posting in older threads you had an M79 multitrack.. wondering if you could help,
I've got a 1/4" RC I'm rebuilding for mixdowns + stems etc.. so I have yet to hear it. Basically I have the oppurtunity to buy a 2 track M79, and I absolutely love the tone of records tracked to them, amazing bold.. 'projection' if ye like.
Thing is I'm wondering if as a mixdown deck it would be inferior to the A80RC..?, since like Cheu says the RC is pretty clean, and for the 2 bus I would have thought this is better... What are your findings on the difference in sound/depth etc??

I'm aware the 79's arent nearly as reliable, but that aside I appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartHunter ➡️
Drumsound where art thou!?
I'm here, man. This is an interesting question. At the time I bought my Studer there was also an M79 2-track available. My reason for getting the Studer in part was reliability, but also I was trying to help someone I thought was a friend, by buying from him. That was a mistake because I had to put a lot of money into the Studer, and the 3M was ready to go. I haven't actually mixed to a M79, but I have heard things mixed to them. I think at that stage of things either deck is going to sound good. My M79 is modded and sounds amazing, and I would have the same mods done to a 2-track. The M79 is a little rounder sounding, I would say than a Studer. They are both cool decks for sure.

Wanna buy my 24-track?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tom ➡️
Great thread!

After owning and using most models of machines out there...
I found that the Studer C37 is still amazing! (I own 2)
There are so many flavours, solidstate: Scully, Ampex and 3M for "fatness",
Studer A80/A807 for
"clear and clean", the MCI's are somewhere inbetween...
Studer transports (when adjusted) are a work of art...

I think 1/2" is abit overrated, the 1/4" extra is abit meeh...
But if you want to have a "new" machine, go with Mara or AudioVillage refurb Ampex 440c should be the least hassle...
But like other posters have said, there are alot of variables...
Tapeformulations, bias, Nab/Iecc, speed etc.

I favor ATR tape 1/4", 15ips, Iecc, 320nwpermeter...

But everyone has their own favorites, it's all good!

Go for it, and:
Good luck!

Best,
Tom

I was talking with a respected technician today regarding the "sound" of the atr 102 and the a80... He said that the studer has more vibe and the 102 is a more sterile sounding machine in comparison, also stating that both machines sound great. We also talked about the point that a lot of different people have their favorites. He also attended a listening session at ocean way comparing 1/4", 1/2", and digital... Blind listening. He said no one chose digital, 2 preferred 1/4", and the rest chose 1/2" in the blind.

What I am starting to gather from all this reading is if you heard a great sounding mix it would be difficult to say ahhhhh... That was recorded on a studer or that was on an ampex, 1/2" or 1/4", and call it out. Maybe some might... Great records came from many different machines and formats. Seems like just get a pro 2TK R2R in great condition, know a great tech, win the lotto to support it, and record music. Many great songs are sonically stomped on by crappy ones.

Again thank you to everyone for all of your insight.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm here, man. This is an interesting question. At the time I bought my Studer there was also an M79 2-track available. My reason for getting the Studer in part was reliability, but also I was trying to help someone I thought was a friend, by buying from him. That was a mistake because I had to put a lot of money into the Studer, and the 3M was ready to go. I haven't actually mixed to a M79, but I have heard things mixed to them. I think at that stage of things either deck is going to sound good. My M79 is modded and sounds amazing, and I would have the same mods done to a 2-track. The M79 is a little rounder sounding, I would say than a Studer. They are both cool decks for sure.

Wanna buy my 24-track?
Brilliant! cheers mate, ahh not only can I not a afford (money or time) to buy your 24.. I have a really small studio here, and just want the best 2 track I can find for stems n mixdown. I'm actually more a musician than engineer n I reckon aligning 2 tracks is my limit before losing creative steam..
hmm interesting, well I need to check the condition myself. I realise theres only a handful of chaps worldwide who really know the 3M's properly, luckily Clive K's only an hour from me here. Well I think my best bet is to try my RC when aligned and ready, if it doesn't excite me too much I'll probably go with the 79 as looking for some extra tone for drums/bass etc. For my two track I'm lookin for max vibe for stems, but also workable to a pretty faithful and clean mix recorder... actually had a cool idea and that was if JRF can do extended heads for 79's at 30ips. That would be perfect as then I could play with 15ips and certain tape for driving certain sounds as an effect.., and then 30ips for mixdown with good master tape without losing the lowend.
We'll see , cheers
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted User
I owned a Studer (A820 1/2"), amazing sounding machine.. I now for the past few years have an ATR 1/2".
I chose this for reliable studio use, far easier for me to keep running.
Sound wise I liked both for different reasons, either is fine by me..
The speaker in the Studer was really handy..
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
while are are talking tape machine comparisons.......

has anyone here ever compared a Studer A80 to a B67?

just curious what the differences are functionally and sonically.

i have a B67 here that i feel is an under rated deck when you restore and recap it.
had it next to an Ampex 440C and a Studer A810 for a while.........
the Ampex sounded a little bigger than the B67 but i liked the sound of the B67 better than the A810. the Ampex transport was too much of a raucous beast for me to deal with so i stuck with the B67 as it seemed liked the best combo of tape handling + sound of the 3.

also, does anyone know of any B67 audio card mods that can further improve the sound??
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
My M79 is modded and sounds amazing, and I would have the same mods done to a 2-track.
X-formerless and new op amps?
📝 Reply