Using Aurora GTP-8 to color SSL X-desk - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Aurora GTP-8 to color SSL X-desk
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Using Aurora GTP-8 to color SSL X-desk

Hello.
I have the GTP-8 and love it, don't have the X-desk or I would just test this out... I've been looking into summing/monitoring options for some time now and have already considered the usual suspects (from the Folcrom to the Neve to the Manley). No one makes exactly what I want - I get it.

So I've been reading into the SSL xdesk which seems to have an abundance of great features except for one thing... The summed sound! People on here seem to be in agreement that it doesn't really impart that extra character that makes you want to drop a couple G's on it. (That being said, I have read the manual and it is a really clever little piece of gear for a lot of practical situations.)

My question is has anyone tried routing out to a colored 8ch pre like the gtp8 line level, then into the x desk (or similar) for mixing?

THANKS!
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi,

Not the GTP8, but I tried the GTQ2 a few times on the mix bus of my console. It works fine at line level. It has some weighty iron and imparts a sound.

I like the GT4-2 on the bus too.

My console has similar topology to the SSL.

Eric
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hello

Same here : GTQ2 on the output of my desk, great options for "color" on my mixs

Paul VIGUIER
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the replies! so on the xdesk id patch the mix bus out into two of my pres and back in etc? i dont have the xdesk yet. considering the purchase...
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
or is there a better/smarter signal path?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd say the reason to get the X-Desk is for routing, foldback mixes, tactile surface, ability to punch in outboard, no latency monitoring, etc. Workflow basically. If you just want to add some color, I'd lean towards putting a pre, comp, EQ and maybe VCC/VTM on master buss.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want some more color run the inputs at 2:00 and the output around 2:00. This helps the desk come alive. Problem is if you are using the alt returns they don't have gains. I have a x desk and x panda and find it sounds a little more ssl when I hit it harder.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks again. I agree with the comment about workflow. That is my main motivation. Im just wondering how you'd go about routing the master to the outboard pre's. I'd love to be able to send out to my Auroras APIs and Neves
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycodym ➑️
thanks again. I agree with the comment about workflow. That is my main motivation. Im just wondering how you'd go about routing the master to the outboard pre's. I'd love to be able to send out to my Auroras APIs and Neves
How about this: take the channel insert sends on the x-desk to the inputs of your gtp-8, then the outs of the GTP-8 back to the x-desk insert returns? Sounds like you have 24 channels of x-desk with the xpanda, so you'll have to choose wisely.

Or get another GTP-8 or two.....
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello.
I have the GTP-8 and love it, don't have the X-desk or I would just test this out... I've been looking into summing/monitoring options for some time now and have already considered the usual suspects (from the Folcrom to the Neve to the Manley). No one makes exactly what I want - I get it.

So I've been reading into the SSL xdesk which seems to have an abundance of great features except for one thing... The summed sound! People on here seem to be in agreement that it doesn't really impart that extra character that makes you want to drop a couple G's on it. (That being said, I have read the manual and it is a really clever little piece of gear for a lot of practical situations.)

My question is has anyone tried routing out to a colored 8ch pre like the gtp8 line level, then into the x desk (or similar) for mixing?

THANKS!
I used a SSL XDesk as a side car with my old colored board when recording acoustic music. I liked it so much I bought a Matrix and sold my colored board. Even though it doesn't color you can't beat its punch and maintenance of sound. The SSL let me hear all my outboard for the first time. I have a lot of pres/comps eqs.. which I use direct into the AD converter/computer and then monitor out from the computer DA to the Matrix/XDesk.... and route comps eqs and verbs through the Matrix as well the XDesk. They are exactly the same sonically right up to the SSL Duality. If you love even more color then first track with your Aurora. I have two channels of Aurora in my pre collection. You can still route it all after with a simple patchbay. Pull them off your inputs to the DAW (normalled) to the computer and put them on the inserts of the XDesk also at the patchbay....after. Along with your comps eqs whatever. They can be inserted at the patchbay. It really is an amazing little board. Its not colored but it is very high end with tons of headroom.
I just ran all the connections to a patchbay. There are dual inputs on the channels. The second ALT input sums to the cue buss which in turn flows to the stereo buss so you have 16 formal inputs on mixdown. 8 standard and 8 more through the cue buss. You could insert up to 8 Aurora units on drums if you like lets say. (the ALT channels dont have an insert) You also have a stereo insert on the mix buss of the XDesk if you want to do a 2 buss insert . It also has a sum add to that insert where you can add two more inputs of something..say a clean two track mix out of the computer to parallel compress or add clean from the computer and color from a pair of Aurora Neve whatever... to your liking. You can't lose. Really. All that with a center console for external audio say playback devices for your mixes, a talk cue for the talent if not just you with DIM, monitor controls times 2. and of course hardware sends to outboard.
Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
thanks for the replies! so on the xdesk id patch the mix bus out into two of my pres and back in etc? i dont have the xdesk yet. considering the purchase...
You have two options here...

Option 1 - Channels 1-8 of the X-Desk have Insert/Return. You could place the 8 channels of the Aurora GTP-8 on those 8 X-Desk channels while you mix. Channels 1-8 of the X-Desk each have an "INS" button that will send/return the signal.

Option 2 - The X-Desk mixbuss has an Insert/Return. Route two channels of the GTP-8 as you mentioned. Pressing the "Insert" button on the X-Desk will send the signal to the GTP and return it back to the mixbuss.
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk ➑️
You have two options here...

Option 1 - Channels 1-8 of the X-Desk have Insert/Return. You could place the 8 channels of the Aurora GTP-8 on those 8 X-Desk channels while you mix. Channels 1-8 of the X-Desk each have an "INS" button that will send/return the signal.

Option 2 - The X-Desk mixbuss has an Insert/Return. Route two channels of the GTP-8 as you mentioned. Pressing the "Insert" button on the X-Desk will send the signal to the GTP and return it back to the mixbuss.
Yeah there are many things you can do. Like I said. You can also run clean tracks from the computer in tandem and parallel the whole bunch so you don't have to dedicate just what the Auroras do on an insert. 16 inputs in total.
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➑️
16 inputs in total.
22 total if you utilize ST RET 1, ST RET 2, and the external stereo input on Center IN 3/4.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah 16 designed track and line inputs. I was never one to bring tracks into every orifice. haha. but yes its possible.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Shadow Hills Equinox - Dual-channel Microphone Preamplifier, 30-ch Summing Mixer, and Mastering-quality Monitor Controller, with Three Switchable Output Transformers
Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the helpful replies. Yeah I thought about inserting all 8 channels as well - guess I'll just have to play around
Old 20th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for the helpful replies. Yeah I thought about inserting all 8 channels as well - guess I'll just have to play around
Was thinking about a similar setup... Would you mind sharing your experience?
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I throw my ITB mixes through my Neve 1073 DPA's line inputs for color all the time. Love it when I need it.
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it would work really well. I have used to the GTP8/Gt4-8 EQs as channels with a Great River Mm20 and it was really colored, maybe too colored.
πŸ“ Reply