Quantcast
What Amp for passive ATC SCM 50SL ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Amp for passive ATC SCM 50SL ?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What Amp for passive ATC SCM 50SL ?

I just got a pair of passive ATC SCM 50SL and have a feeling my current Amps will not cut it.

Any recommendations?

I'm currently thinking of the Moon W3 or Bryston 4B ST
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bryston, Hypex or Adcom Gfa series 1 would all work fine. It comes down to what you like .
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brew ➡️
I just got a pair of passive ATC SCM 50SL and have a feeling my current Amps will not cut it.

Any recommendations?

I'm currently thinking of the Moon W3 or Bryston 4B ST
A little patience will soon see a new ATC P2 PRO power amp with 300W/ch. A used Bryston 4B or larger recapped would probably be the least expensive solution.

Brad
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reccomendations,

Have you used the ATC P1 yet, if so how would that compare to the active SCM50 SL ?
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reccomendations,

Have you used the ATC P1 yet, if so how would that compare to the active SCM50 SL ?
I have, it sounds quite good, but under powered for pro applications. For home, it would work. 150W per channel.

Brad
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info!

So would you recommend saving up for the ATC P2 Pro Amp or the ATC Active Amp Packs? The Passives I'm referring to are around 4 years old.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
MC2 Audio MC1250 or MC750
I have MC450 amplifiers on my ATC SCM11

Stéphane
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

So would you recommend saving up for the ATC P2 Pro Amp or the ATC Active Amp Packs? The Passives I'm referring to are around 4 years old.
The amp packs would be the best way for sure.
I see you are in Brooklyn, Audio Power Tools can help you get this ordered, it can be ordered anytime, nothing new going on in amp packs. You are ordering three amps in one pack, plus crossover and limiters.

The trick is calibrating it once installed, but they come preset and are very close to correct out of the box. So a tech of some sort needs to install and calibrate it. But it can be done.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde ➡️
I see you are in Brooklyn, Audio Power Tools can help you get this ordered, it can be ordered anytime, nothing new going on in amp packs. You are ordering three amps in one pack, plus crossover and limiters.

The trick is calibrating it once installed, but they come preset and are very close to correct out of the box. So a tech of some sort needs to install and calibrate it. But it can be done.

Brad
Do you know if it is possible to order the amp packs if I haven't bought a "finished" speaker from them ? I ordered a pair of ATC mids and bass woofer for a custom build and was looking forward to use some hypex amps.
If it's possible, I would consider the amp packs even if the price is higher.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde ➡️

Brad
Great info, I will contact Audio Power Tools
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane092 ➡️
MC2 Audio MC1250 or MC750
I have MC450 amplifiers on my ATC SCM11

Stéphane
Thanks, never heard of those, I'll look into them
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The amp packs are by far the best option sonically, probably one of the more affordable routes too...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bet they would sound fantastic with some well built Hypex amps. I have done a good amount of testing and really like the Hypex stuff.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just saw the working beta of the new upcoming ATC PRO P2, 300W per channel, massive power transformers. Heard it too, rack mount, front panel power switch, sounded really good but I and no comparison available. I expect first units to arrive in May.

Brad
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➡️
I bet they would sound fantastic with some well built Hypex amps. I have done a good amount of testing and really like the Hypex stuff.
Dan knows what's up

I had some Hypex UCD 700's on our ATC 50 passives for a while and really liked the combo.

When we brought the hypex Ncore rig over and set it up on our Dynaudios the Brystons destroyed it, so I couldn't call the Hypex an end-all solution, but for the price they're fantastic, and I can personally vouch that they pair well with the ATCs.
Old 25th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet ➡️
Dan knows what's up

I had some Hypex UCD 700's on our ATC 50 passives for a while and really liked the combo.

When we brought the hypex Ncore rig over and set it up on our Dynaudios the Brystons destroyed it, so I couldn't call the Hypex an end-all solution, but for the price they're fantastic, and I can personally vouch that they pair well with the ATCs.
Have you also tried the ncore with the SCM50s ?
You said that you had the UCD 700. What did you use after them ?
📝 Reply