Royer 121 or 122? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royer 121 or 122?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Royer 121 or 122?

Hi guys,

It has been for me, way over 10 years now, since I first wanted a Royer mic and I really want to get one now.

I have been using with great results, the Beyer M160 (own 2) on guitar amps, often coupled with a SM57/i5/421.

My question is the tone of the 121 vs 122. I know that the 122 is phantom powered and 15db louder, but my question is, would I be just fine with a 121 and my Cloudlifter pre, I can knock 15 db up on the 121 with phantom power from the Cloudlifter.

I want to be able to use this mic for acoustic guitar as well, but my first and most important application in the studio is the guitar amps, so I might not need that 122 sensitivity all the time?

What is the feeling around here between the 121 and 122 (and please don't say you need both!)

Thanks.
Old 8th March 2014

🎧 10 years
122v does something special. It's a bit 'deeper' and seems to somehow 'smooth' the audio.
Old 8th March 2014
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
122v does something special. It's a bit 'deeper' and seems to somehow 'smooth' the audio.
Thank for the link, that was very helpful!

Seems like the 121 may be the way to go for me.

Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
yeah
for amps 121!

cheaper also....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemeek ➑️
yeah
for amps 121!

cheaper also....
Agreed joemeek!

But I am wondering Royer owners, do you think I can get in the same ball park on lower volume material, like acoustic guitars and vocals with my Cloud lifter? The CL raises about 15db of phantom power that then goes to my preamps (API, Electrodyne 501, VP26.)

Here is the CL for those who have not seen one:

http://cloudmicrophones.com/cloud12/.../CL-1-500x.png
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I prefer the 122 over the 121 for electric guitars. Just sounds better/bigger to my ears.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
122 preferred for it's versatility ...must all electric guitars scream ?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Drooling for the 122 now.

I would think louder amps would like the 121 better.

I can see the 122 winning out on my Princeton based Vintage Sound 20 watt amplifier, as it is a smaller sounding (beautiful Black Face cleans) amp.

I wonder about the louder amps though.

Would the 121 be better suited for aggressive and loud guitar tones?
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad John ➑️

Would the 121 be better suited for aggressive and loud guitar tones?
Not necessarily in the way it sounds as compared to the 122. But for convenience sake, yes, because of its lower output. You can always pad the output of a 122 a bit (10-15db) with an xlr to xlr inline pad without much (or any detriment). It does sound big, and it often works better on acoustic (acoustic guitars, etc) instruments with the increased output of the mic. The 121 is a great mic too, it just depends on budget and what else you have in the locker. I know people who have both.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For me the difference came down to the other gear I had. The 122 was easier to get good results from run of the mill gear. Whether you had Mackie or Presonus mic pres or Neve, API the 122 was consistent. It sounded pretty similar with all those too. Not the same, but not different enough to have concerns over.
The 121 was different in that you needed a better preamp, but the preamp used had a much bigger impact on the sound. My Telefunkin 676a sounds very different the Trident with the 121.
I would think the 121 and cloud lifter may give the best of both worlds.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOL, so I pulled the trigger on the 121 after all.

I feel that with the make up gain of my Cloudlifter, going into an API 512C, VP26 , Electrodyn 501, 610 , I should be happy.

I will most likely get a 122 down the road.

Thank you everyone for the help and useful comments, I really appreciate your input.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Congrats! Please let us know what you think as you get to use it! Blackface cleans are the type of sounds I record regularly and I always have the 121 in my peripheral. I've been decided for a while on a pair of Coles to use for overheads when appropriate, but always hope they'd be just as nice on amps as well. I see people mention them for drum overheads far more often, and my only personal experience with them other than for overheads was in front of a bass amp, which was nice but a pretty specific sound.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you jgimbel!

I will let you guys know what I think for sure.

When I get the 121, I will put it through all the places I want to hear it.

Including:

Low watt amps
Loud amps
Bass amp
Overhead on drums
Acoustic guitars
Vocals and speaking voice
Bass Drum
Room application
Harmonica
Trumpet
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you jgimbel!

I will let you guys know what I think for sure.

When I get the 121, I will put it through all the places I want to hear it.

Including:

Low watt amps
Loud amps
Bass amp
Overhead on drums
Acoustic guitars
Vocals and speaking voice
Bass Drum
Room application
Harmonica
Trumpet
You're going to love anything Royer, but if you ever get a chance, especially on loud guitars, do yourself a favor and try an AEA r92. Cheaper than even a 121 and literally smiles in the face of a 100 watt half stack. I've alos fallen in love with it on hi-hat, trumpet, trombone and sax as well.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you Julian!
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you Julian!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Or an AEA R84.

I used to own a Royer 121 and to me the R84 is way better on electric guitar (especially clean electric guitar). The R-121 has a honky sound, with an unnatural top end, for a ribbon. My opinion, of course. You may actually end up loving it for your application.

Peace!
Old 10th March 2014
VIP

🎧 15 years
Congrats on the 121, you can't really go wrong with this. In my experience both mics (121 and 122) are great on electric guitar. To my ears the 121 sounds better with a mic-pre that has low impedance, like the Chandler TG-2 at 300 Ohm setting, which is my favorite mic-pre for electric guitars.

have fun...
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener ➑️
Congrats on the 121, you can't really go wrong with this. In my experience both mics (121 and 122) are great on electric guitar. To my ears the 121 sounds better with a mic-pre that has low impedance, like the Chandler TG-2 at 300 Ohm setting, which is my favorite mic-pre for electric guitars.

have fun...
You heard it from the man himself...well, at least he is to me(the king of tracking guitars), along with Baressi and Plotnikoff...and more times than not, I've heard the TG-2 with 121 is the way to go...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
You heard it from the man himself... the king of tracking guitars

R.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Julian, your Telefunken 676 and 121 are a great pairing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➑️
Julian, your Telefunken 676 and 121 are a great pairing.
Here it's v676 with sm7 or 421 and Burl B1 with AEA r92...I usually mic two cabs, a 4x12 with classic lead 80's and a 2x12 with v30's. The r92 goes on the v30's.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener ➑️

have fun...
Thank you so much Michael! I may be getting the mic today and I am excited to try her out!

I am hope my 512C & Electrodyne 501 work well with the 121! I do have a Cloudlifter for 25db of extra gain....I should be good with that.

Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi guys,

It has been for me, way over 10 years now, since I first wanted a Royer mic and I really want to get one now.

I have been using with great results, the Beyer M160 (own 2) on guitar amps, often coupled with a SM57/i5/421.

My question is the tone of the 121 vs 122. I know that the 122 is phantom powered and 15db louder, but my question is, would I be just fine with a 121 and my Cloudlifter pre, I can knock 15 db up on the 121 with phantom power from the Cloudlifter.

I want to be able to use this mic for acoustic guitar as well, but my first and most important application in the studio is the guitar amps, so I might not need that 122 sensitivity all the time?

What is the feeling around here between the 121 and 122 (and please don't say you need both!)

Thanks.
I would go the more cost effective route, unless you just have money to toss around. I've heard both. Both are great. I'm not saying that the 121 with a cloudlifter is the same as a 122, but both are really great sounding microphones. You won't lose either way. Best of luck with your purchase.
πŸ“ Reply