Genelec 8050b or Event Opal - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8050b or Event Opal
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Genelec 8050b or Event Opal

Hello guys,

I currently have the Mackie 824mk2 and I was going to upgrade to the Genelec 8050b but the guy at the local store advised me to get the Event Opal instead. The Event Opal are out of stock and can get them only by a special order, so I wont be able to listen to them unless I buy them. Can someone advise me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
In my opinion either the 8050 or the Opals will be an improvement over the Mackies you're dealing with. I've used those Makies, and while I had no problem with working with them they were not my favorites.

With speakers it largely depends on your aural preferences, and your needs. Usually I buy the speakers I'm interested in, and audition them within their return policy. When I don't like them I send them back. I liked what I heard when I auditioned the Opals. They are great for critical listening, in my opinion. But, given the person you ask, you might find a different opinion. Only you can know what will work for your purposes.

If you want the truth for your situation you might have to pay for one of the sets you're interested in and evaluate things over a couple weeks, and return them if it doesn't work for you. The upside to this process is that it will tell you more than you can figure out through asking around.

I do know that Genelec is a respectable brand that provides a good value for the money. Even if you don't want to bother with purchasing the Opals and returning them you will likely not be in bad shape with the Genelecs. I haven't used the 8050 but I wouldn't expect that Genelecs at that price point are in any way a bad deal. Your experience might vary.
📝 Reply