Quantcast
Brass & strings in small room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brass & strings in small room
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Brass & strings in small room

Hi folks! So here's my question -- I'd be grateful for any advice.

I have a nice home studio with a live room that is large for a project studio -- over 900 sq. feet with 20' vaulted ceilings and a 6' divider semi-partitioning part of the room -- but of course I am cursed with ambitions too great for my means. I need to record an ensemble with piano, 5 strings, three woodwinds and 5 brass instruments.

I am planning to spot mix each section, but I'm very concerned that the brass will still be overpowering in the room, especially with regard to the strings. I could record the brass as an overdub, but that presents other problems with ensemble cohesion.

What do you think I should do? Any good tips for positioning the sections cleverly to minimize bleed? I've got access to just about any type of mic, and have a number of gobos (and can always build more.)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 6th March 2014

🎧 10 years
if you don't want to overdub you just need to think about using gobos and the nulls of ribbon mics to your advantage.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…