Quantcast
Best mic and recording chain for classical flute recording - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mic and recording chain for classical flute recording
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum ➡️
i have a question about using the 121 (great mic- I have a pair) for "the 'side' information". doesn't the fact that the R121's response isn't symmetrical argue against using it as the side mic?
It is tonally asymmetrical. The 'badge' side of the microphone is darker sounding. The 'plain' side is often referred to as 'the bright side'.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ribbons sound like a good bet in this case...

I'd also try ldc's like an 87 and a pre with a nice smooth top...in my case a Manley dual mono...

I'd also be tempted to use LA2A-style compression...in my case an elop.
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Something else to consider my be the very condenser-like large diaphragm condensers by Heil or even something like a Shure ksm32...
Old 11th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle ➡️
Go do a search in the remote forum here. You will see posts by a ton of respected classical engineers. In general, though...

1. Don't use close mics (which means stay away from dynamic mics). Ribbons can be ok in the right situation.
2. If it is solo, mic in stereo. Only use mono if it is a spot mic in a larger system of mics.
3. As mentioned earlier, classical is about micing a source in a space. Room is important. No... Critical.
Ben gave good advice. You should be looking at a pair of mics, not just a single mic.

Here is a flute audition, recorded with Sennheiser MKH TWINS.

Color, bright v. dark, direct v. room, etc, will depend on the repertoire, context, and vision of the artist/engineer. Adjust and adapt.
Old 11th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
km184 > GML8303 - m66 (med release) high and roomy

or for vibe i go
royer121 > mercure m76m > la2a
Old 12th June 2014 | Show parent
mixmixmix
How bright is the flute you will be recording. Listen to it in the recording space, then try at least 2 contrasting mics. Then you may want to play with preamp choice. Beware of some flutes being excessively bright.
Old 12th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuyuk ➡️
I need recommendation, best mic and recording chain for classical flute recording. Thanks...
i once had very nice results with a 441 over a v76 pre.. but that was the best chain i could get together..really dont know if thats the "best" but found my condensors to sharp and getting to much room onto the recording.

however the 441 was defintly smoothening the result without compromising the freq response, and the v76 is golden on classical instruments anyway..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- Mic: Neumann U67, KM 86 or KM 84........... Also good is a Sony C38B.

- Pre amp: Any high quality mic amp will do. Here it would be a Neve 34128.

- Compressor: Urei LA 3A.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental ➡️
SNIP (Mic)
SNIP (Preamp)
- Compressor: Urei LA 3A.
Really? for classical flute as requested by the OP?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Really? for classical flute as requested by the OP?
yes, really.

every tried it??

I BARELY use the compression, but sometimes it is nice to have it in the chain.
Old 13th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluerental ➡️
yes, really.

every tried it??

I BARELY use the compression, but sometimes it is nice to have it in the chain.
I have never considered using an LA3a on flute as it usually imparts a bit of 'grind' to the sound, which I like a lot of rock vocals and especially guitars... but WTH, I'll try anything!
Old 16th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you very much for your thought on the subject, Woodwindy, nnajar, Ward Pike, Petrus, & Unit7. It gives me much more to go on.

AP

Last edited by aperey; 16th June 2014 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: superfluity on my part
Old 16th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperey ➡️
Thank you very much for your thought on the subject, Woodwindy, nnajar, Ward Pike, Petrus, & Unit7. It gives me much more to go on.

AP
You are very welcome! A good question deserves good answers!
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

Your gear is not the problem, odds are your mic placement is.

If you are trying to get a classical sound, this is done by recording in a good room at a distance. Use either a near-coincident stereo setup like ORTF, or an AB spaced pair with your Neumann mics. There are many threads about how to set up such a session in the "Remote Possibilities" section.

If you are trying to get a close mic'd sound, this is a hard thing to butcher. But you must keep in mind that just setting up and going is not an adequate enough approach. The 184 has a bit of a treble bump on top, which can make instruments like flute, or my instrument, the trumpet, sound harsher than we'd like, especially when captured up close.

So one thing you do to counter this is to play into the mic slightly off-axis to get a more rolled-off sound.

One other cool thing to try when close-mic'ing is to use a narrow AB pair, with the mics 8"-ish apart and parallel. This way you get a narrow, almost mono image, but it comes off as more natural. Be careful when trying to pan this setup, however, as comb filtering is a very real possibility.

I use this technique often both live and in the studio, and it works marvelously with all kinds of mics. But this complicates and slows down a "self-engineered" session, which is why as often as possible I try not to record myself. You can do it, but I find it difficult to be in the "subjective, relaxed" artist mind as well as in the "objective, hyper-intensity" engineering mind at the same time.
Old 21st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➡️
Back in March and now again, I wonder(ed) where our flute player Paul is hiding.

Well, he did release a CD recently, which came with nation wide promotion (Netherlands), so I gather he's sort of busy.

Anyway, he'll appear here sooner or later, no doubt.

Henk
Ha ha thanks Henk, here I am.
For my both albums I have used a ribbon and large diagram condensator mic.
You can take a listen at my website Fluitist Paul Smithuis

First album we used an AEA R84 with a Beesneez Mahalia and two DPA mics a room mics. The Ribbon went into the TRP preamp and for the Mahalia we've used a HCL Mirror pre.

My last album that was released in may I have used an original RCA44 ribbon mic together with the Mahalia. Both mics went directly into an SSL desk.

Greets, Paul
Old 22nd July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
so no one even asks if it's solo flute or with an ensemble?
Ya, different stuff obviously.

For solo flute, I've had great luck a few times with a TLM149 through a CL-1b with the attack and release turned to the slowest settings with no GR engaged. That mic / gain combo is super round. I've also done a c800g through an 1176, which is uber clean and punchy, but I was recording a flute doing a sort of serial percussion line and it worked real well.

I have zero experience tracking a flute ensemble.
Old 24th May 2019
I track our flautist for our triphop / progressive jazz project with a Rode NT2A to a LA610MKII with a touch of compression and the eq flat. Tested with other mics, including a specialized K&K Silver bullet and their pre + UA Unison SSL 4000 or the LA6A. The outboard LA610 makes all the difference in the world. We use an active room that has a lot of wood in it with great luck.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

There's a post on page 93 of the LTL Silver Bullet thread with a clip that sounded rather amazing. A stereo ribbon Samar VL373A was the only mic used. I think it could do well with a flute.

https://soundcloud.com/mintelligence/lmix/s-mAaFM
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Seems this thread might still be going! I am a professional classical flute player now getting into recording myself, especially during this COVID time when there’s not much else to do!

I first had a pair of KM184s which seemed like a good idea at the time but have since shown not to be the best for recording flute. I have been trying a few mics over the last few weeks: 414, TLM193, Coles 4038, R-121, R84 and AT4080 - my favourite so far has been R-121 but maaann is that a quiet mic (will have to upgrade my preamp if I go for that one!).

The reason I’m writing is to ask about blending different mic types. I originally thought I would have to find the “perfect” mic pair, but after scrolling through so many forum posts it might be that a combination is a better direction to go in. I‘m now feeling like a great combo might be a pair of SDC like Schoeps or DPA for detail and either one or another stereo pair of LDC or ribbon mics for sound and depth. What do you guys think about this? Would a combination like this be problematic? If I was to try these combinations, what kind of arrangement would be best? Any advice would be very welcome!

Last edited by Snake220; 23rd August 2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake220 ➡️
Seems this thread might still be going! I am a professional classical flute player now getting into recording myself [. . .]
I'm wondering what mics and techniques were mostly used for Sir James Galway's recordings?

Ray H.

Old 25th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
I'm wondering what mics and techniques were mostly used for Sir James Galway's recordings?

Ray H.
Hey Ray,
Here's a picture of James recording... Lauten?
https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.ne.../Sir-James.jpg
Old 25th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Hey Ray,
Here's a picture of James recording... Lauten?
https://mediad.publicbroadcasting.ne.../Sir-James.jpg
Nope. Clearly a Neumann BCM 104, originally intended for radio announcers.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Royer SF-2. Done.
📝 Reply