Quantcast
Rubert Neve Interview - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rubert Neve Interview
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rubert Neve Interview

In a Rubert Neve Interview he mentioned that there were many preamps out there today that are better than his 1073. which preamps do you feel are better than the 1073 gearslutz users?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Better is obviously subjective, but tons of great gear exists.

RND: Portico II Channel and the 5052
DW Fearn: VT-1/2
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tubetech MP1a With that said the 1073 is a classic for a reason
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Gordon and Forssell preamps are light years better preamps in terms of dynamic, resolution, noise floor, natural transients and sound stage respresentation.
It doesn't mean that your grandma's 1073 is not usable in recording process these days, as well.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I interviewed Rupert Neve last TUES nite, February 25, 2014. He was a guest at our Chicago EARS (Engineering And Recording Society) meeting.

Each time I have met Rupert and I tell him about the gear I'm using that he designed, he tells me that something much better is about to come out. He asks me to "be patient" because soon he will bring out some new designs that correct the deficiencies of the prior gear.

And each time he has done it.

The 1073, even with its gritty sound is a classic. But it's not a high performance mic amp compared to Gordon, Pueblo Audio, Rupert Neve Designs 5012 or Portico recording channel, or a Fearn VT-1.

Besides, dealers price fix on new AMS-Neve clones and boost up the prices on used Neve gear to ridiculous prices.

I have owned AMS-Neve 1073 modules and sold them because of their rough and gritty sound and also because Vintage King has built a rack for them that was full of grounding problems.

1073 is FAR away from being king.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
I interviewed Rupert Neve last TUES nite, February 25, 2014. He was a guest at our Chicago EARS (Engineering And Recording Society) meeting.

Each time I have met Rupert and I tell him about the gear I'm using that he designed, he tells me that something much better is about to come out. He asks me to "be patient" because soon he will bring out some new designs that correct the deficiencies of the prior gear.
Ruppie knows the marketing, as well
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Not marketing, Sir Russian.

He did it each time

Focusrite ISA 110
Amek 9098
RND Texas 5012, Master Buss Processor, Portico channel

Each of them better than what came before.

He delivers.
I buy.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
Not marketing, Sir Russian.

He did it each time

Focusrite ISA 110
Amek 9098
RND Texas 5012, Master Buss Processor, Portico channel

Each of them better than what came before.

He delivers.
I buy.
Part of that is he knows what he builds is by the standards of live music is a compromise, and given time and technology he can do better. He isn't happy even if his early work is copied and held as the standard. He has the drive to still wow us.

Rupert also knows he can't do it alone and builds a team of those who could be very successful on their own.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rupert is the man. I know I love my RND 5052. I knew it would be a great unit, but I was blown away once I used it in a session.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can't believe that AMS Neve doesn't reissue the original 80 series consoles. Sure it would be pricey, but not any more than Rupert's current line. People would come out of the woodwork to buy a new 8078 or 8014. Doesn't either one of them smell money?
πŸ“ Reply