Question For SSL Matrix owners - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question For SSL Matrix owners
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Question For SSL Matrix owners

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from SSL Matrix owners about the recall of the motorized faders.

I currently have an Audient console that has motorised faders controlled via the DAW over midi.

When recalling a mix, and sending a test tone through the channel, it can be off by sometimes up to .5dB which, when added across the 16 channels means the mix sounds completely off. I have given up using it, and just do my automation ITB, and use a test tone to match levels on static faders, which really slows things down for me.

So my question to you is...

If you were to run a test tone through the channel with the fader at 0 and measure its output to the mix buss, save the setting via DAW, would it recall perfectly and measure the same dB of the test tone? For me, itd need to match within .1dB every single time.

If it is the case, an upgrade to the Matrix is on the cards.

Thanks for any help!

Oz
Old 28th February 2014
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Not sure what you're actually asking here...

Is it
"If I have my DAW controlling the level of the analogue faders on a Matrix will they come back to within 0.1dB each time?"

Or is it
"are the individual channels of the Matrix calibrated (or calibratable) to pass a test tone to Mix bus with no level loss between channels".

The actual level of the faders under midi recall should always come back to the same point. It should not be different on different days. However if the "same point" is actually "different points across different channels" then the question isn't about recall/automation but about channel-to-channel calibration if you see what I mean. If Ch2 is 0.5dB louder than Ch1 when both are set to the same automation value then it is the analogue circuit that is not matched, not the automation system.

If you want to know where to get your hands on one to give a good test drop me a PM.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Jim,

I'm sorry my question wasn't clear.

I'm asking about how accurately faders return to their positions.

For example;
Say I stemmed out to 8 stereo pairs on the matrix. I first pass a test tone out of each output, through the channel and measure the output at the mix bus so each stereo pair measures even to the daw output (ie each channel fader is at true unity). If I were to save this mix, then recall it, would I get the same db readings if I were to pass the tone back through each of the consoles channels?

I realise it shouldn't be different on different days, however I'm my current console, the faders aren't ever recalled completely perfect every time, so I have to move them to match the tones by hand, thus rendering the motorised faders kind of useless to me.

I'd love to demo a Matrix in the coming months, and am based in Kent.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump for any users input on this?
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy ➑️

I'm asking about how accurately faders return to their positions.

I realise it shouldn't be different on different days,
While I've not done the test myself, I see no reason why a properly designed piece of kit would be different on different days.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Audio does not travel through the fader on the Matrix, it's an MDAC gain element controlled by the CPU, as shown on the signal flow chart. Therefore it would be exactly the same every time when you use the recall facility of the console.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew ➑️
Audio does not travel through the fader on the Matrix, it's an MDAC gain element controlled by the CPU, as shown on the signal flow chart. Therefore it would be exactly the same every time when you use the recall facility of the console.
Perfect, thats what I wanted to hear!

thanks Brew!
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
While I've not done the test myself, I see no reason why a properly designed piece of kit would be different on different days.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for touching base etc. I really excited to demo the matrix.

The reason it is how I am describing on my console is (and I am assuming here) that the faders are recalled via a midi message to physically move an analog fader. As the midi message can only be from 0-127, the fader cant accurately be recalled to within .1dB. The faders jump to their positions, but not accurately enough for recalling a whole mix.

Now, as Brew said, the Matrix uses MDACs rather than a midi message sent to a motor that moves an analog fader, I am assuming that it recalls as it should.

I hope that makes it clearer!

Oz
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a chance to sit and play on the Matrix 2 today, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

Firstly, the faders are incredibly accurate (thanks to the MDACs), even linking the faders in analog mode they track PERFECTLY (within.1dB) all the way down to infinity.

Something that I've not really read anywhere is just how well build the Matrix is, all the buttons, faders and pots just feel so sturdy.

So to anyone interested in my original question, the answer is that the faders are very accurate for recall!

Oz
Old 19th March 2014
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Hope you had fun at the factory yesterday :-)
πŸ“ Reply