Quested H108 vs VH2108 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quested H108 vs VH2108
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quested H108 vs VH2108

Hi everybody!
I'm considering upgrading my monitoring system from Adam A7s to one of these Quested products.
I had the chance to listen to H108s, and I really liked their midrange clarity and detail. They were paired to a subwoofer, so I wasn't able to properly judge their bass response, but I know that the majority of peoples who know them recommend the use of a sub (or two).
At the moment I don't have the budget for both the H108s and a suitable subwoofer, so I started considering VH2108s.
I've never heard them, but I know that their extended bass response is obtained at the expense of some midrange accuracy and detail.
Considering that I work mostly with jazz, improvised and classical music, and that the monitors will be installed in a partially acoustically treated 5x4 meters control room, what do you think will be the best compromise? The H108s used w/o a sub for some months, or the VH2108s used as fullrange speakers with their less detailed midrange?
The amplifier will be in both cases a BGW 750f.
Thank you very much for your advice and excuse my sloppy english.
Jacopo
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2108 is a 108 with a bigger cabinet, it goes lower, but the H108 has tighter.
I wouldn't go with the BGW, not as much detail as the Quested's like think Hypex, Adcom, Bryston MC2.
I have found the 208s really like the Lowend of an old Bryston 4b.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi ddageek, what about the difference in midrange detail between the two models?
I know that the BGW isn't the best amplifier in the world, but I can have it really cheaply.
Thank you very much!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've used for many years H108 without subs,first with adcom,then hypex,buy a better amp before the subs(U can work without them)
They're great speakers.
I've never like the 2108
I was looking for h208 to upgrade,but choosed pmc ib1s(good deal),this many years ago,but work for more than 10 years with the h108 only.
Luca
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ciao Luca, thank you for your advice. What do you dislike about the 2108?
Is the BGW 750f really that bad?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Malu, H108 and 2108
Same Custom volt 8, same Morrel Tweeter and I believe same crossover it's all about the bass loading.
The story is Hans Zimmer liked the H108 but it didn't go low enough So Roger spent the weekend playing with a larger cabinet.
Some will say the H108 is more mid focused, but listening and measurements showed except for a very, very, very, very slight addition breakup in the Mids because of the driver going lower in the 2108s it was all about the additional bass!
I have built Diy copies of the 108 with the Standard Volt and the Morrell and solen has a kit very similar with a different tweet both come very close!
If you want the Mids step up to the 3 ways!
There is a Pair on the GC used page!
A slow amp like a BGW is just no fun with the Volts, bass just hangs there for ever, it almost feels like your missing a beat on the Kick and the highs and Mids just feel smeared!
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also Remember I have spent lots of Time with Questeds I grew up with the Both Danny and Brian who proceeded Studio Systems as the US distributors, Danny office was Just down the street from Full Co and I would Barrow Questeds for Demos and Clinics all the time as well as demo at home in addition to the F11a's and 208s that I own.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ddageek, thank you for the explanation!
Unfortunately my budget is too tight for both the H108s and a better amplifier, so I need to reach a compromise.
Do you have any experience with the Quested S8R? Are they in the same quality level as the H108?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
S7 is the star if the S series. Best Vocal sound of any of Rogers speakers S8 more Lowend but that vocal sound just isn't there.
Adcom 545s can be found for $200 or less and work fine,
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ddageek, thank you for your valuable advice. I decided to go with the H108.
As soon as possible I will upgrade the amplifier.
Best regards,
Jacopo
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you will be very happy for a long time once you get a decent amp!
Just remember the Tweeters are the Stock Morrel so you can buy new Diaphragms for most speaker suppliers if you blow or damage them!
Old 20th March 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➑️
S7 is the star if the S series. Best Vocal sound of any of Rogers speakers S8 more Lowend but that vocal sound just isn't there.
Adcom 545s can be found for $200 or less and work fine,
Hi,ddageek,how bad is the S8r compare S7r?I have S6r,I get the vocal sound,and I love the way S6r play everything so flat on you face,great for strings or orchestra writing and mixing.but have not lowend,I am looking for upgrade to S8r or S6 with sb10 sub.any suggestion?Thank you!
πŸ“ Reply