The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question About Genelec 1031's
Old 22nd October 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Question About Genelec 1031's

Went to a local GC to listen to monitors where they happened to have a used set of Genelec 1031 that blew me away. I heard details in the recordings I brought with me and know very well that I hadn't heard before; the stereo spread was wide and deep, the instruments felt like they were live and in space.

I also listened to a few others as well, Mackie, JBL (the usb one) and Dynaudio BM5A. The Genelecs sounded great and made each of the other speakers sound muffled in comparison but they wanted $2000 for them and wouldn't budge so I declined, not sure if they were priced high, as GC used stuff usually is.

Those who have experience in this area: was the $2000 high or not? Is there another speaker that I can check out that has what I heard from the genelecs--clarity, stereo spread and depth, and a nice bottom end? I admit that I haven't much experience with high end monitors but after listening to them anything less simply won't do, now, damn it.

Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2006
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I find the 1031's are nice to listen to..... maybe use for recording....

but they are too seductive ... everything sounds great....

my mixes wouldnt turn out bright enough if i was to mix on them..... (for what I do)

also a little tiring to listen to.

i prefer a less hi-fi speaker - so i have to work HARD to make things sound good....

YMMV

Old 22nd October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Good point, mixerguy. What monitors are you usin?

One additional question: do the 1031's sound similar to the current 1032. I see that Frontend has "1032AM" for $2500, I'm guessing for the set.

🎧 15 years
I'm using 1031a's for the last 6 years and love them, the thing i love about them is that my ears never get tired of a long sessions which sometimes is the most important thing, for reference i don't think there is one pair of speakers that will do, i also have a pair of NS-10's and I'm also buying Auratones (no room for main speakers in my studio) , i dunno , it took some time but I've learnt the Gene's and love to mix on them, they are absolutely great for recording also

🎧 15 years
1031's are good near fields, but you do have to look out for the fact that they are very bright, esp working with guitar bands - I tend to find that they really fatigue my ears over long sessions because of this.

Friends of mine love PMC's, and I really like mid sized ADAM's, but they might be a little too pricey.

Will.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the responses. The set I listened to instore had the dip switched for the highs set to -4 and there was still a lot of high end....

So is $2000 a good price for a used pair? I've been reading through the old threads here and the 8040a's seem to get recommended a lot and are the same price--as are a set of 8020s with sub. I don't know if anyone near me has them in-store to try out (I'm in Philly), so are these two monitors comparable? I know the 1031 is a bigger monitor. My room is 15 by 13 so I'm guessing the 8040's would be powerful enough.
Old 22nd October 2006

🎧 15 years
I've been using the 1031's for a few years now. They are bright, and when mixing you have to keep this in mind. But I love them for tracking, I can hear things much easier without having to crank them. The 1032's are also nice, they have 10" drivers instead of the 8" in the 1031As. $2000 is an ok price for used, you see them go for about that or maybe somewhat less (like $1800) on eBay. The only thing that I have personally heard that make me want to leave the Genelecs are the Barefoot MicroMain 27s. But they are considerably more money, and are really closer to a mid-field as far as size and power go.

🎧 15 years
I recently bought a used set of the classic 1031's for 1500.

🎧 15 years
I also use Gens for tracking. I like to mix on adams.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks again. I was thinking 1500-1700 would be a fair price, so I guess I wasn't too far off the mark. The salesman said that they had been "in the box" but who knows?

Does anyone have an opinion how the 8040's would compare? I'm hoping to check them out sometime this week and make a decision. Unfortunately no one in my area carries the Adams so I cannot compare them. Also, I have needs in other areas and I'm hoping to spend a nice chunk now so that I won't feel the need to upgrade my monitoring any time soon.
Old 23rd October 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I am using the 1032s since a few years now.
The only problem i am having with them is :
setting the fx levels and the low end.
I added a 1094 sub to em and the low end problem is gone.

For fx levels i switch a lot of times to the ns-10s.
I dig them a lot as well and love em for their punch.

I am more than happy with the 1032s.

In general i would judge em a lil washy.

The price youve mentioned is defenately a good deal for those speakers.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You mean $2000 is a good deal? And is that money better spent on the 1031's rather than a set of 8040's?

🎧 15 years
JBL LSR4300.... I have the Genlec 1031 and really like them. I love them for listening to anything. Yes they are bright. Often my final mix has too much bass when it leaves the studio. I recently picked up a JBL LSR4300 setup including the woofer and USB controlled room correction software. I was shocked to have the two side by side in my studio to realize only that I prefered the JBL for mixing and the Genlec for listening. It may be that my room has problems that the JBL's correct for. I have been in very few rooms that don't have a problem or two.

As far as cost, I wouldn't part with my Genlec 1031 for 2000 dollars. Sure you could find a better deal if you find someone who wants to sell more than you want to buy. If the Genlecs are right for you thay are worth it. I suggest checking out a set of JBL 4300 where you can see what the calibration software can do for a room.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the price/value relationship, but I'm wondering if the 2000 would be better spent on the 8040s.

I did listen to the JBL's and found them fatiguing, although they sounded really nice.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun ➑️
JBL LSR4300.... I have the Genlec 1031 and really like them. I love them for listening to anything. Yes they are bright. Often my final mix has too much bass when it leaves the studio. I recently picked up a JBL LSR4300 setup including the woofer and USB controlled room correction software. I was shocked to have the two side by side in my studio to realize only that I prefered the JBL for mixing and the Genlec for listening. It may be that my room has problems that the JBL's correct for. I have been in very few rooms that don't have a problem or two.

As far as cost, I wouldn't part with my Genlec 1031 for 2000 dollars. Sure you could find a better deal if you find someone who wants to sell more than you want to buy. If the Genlecs are right for you thay are worth it. I suggest checking out a set of JBL 4300 where you can see what the calibration software can do for a room.
I noticed that my mixes came out bass heavy and a little dull sounding, too. Some mastered albums are also painful to listen to on them.

🎧 15 years
I sold my 1031s about a year ago for $2200, so $2000 seems resonable. If you can get it for less, go for it.

🎧 15 years
I have them, I like them. Are there better monitors? Probably, but I know them (which is the most important part IMO) and the labels/clients like my mixes so far
Old 24th October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic ➑️
I also use Gens for tracking. I like to mix on adams.
Same here.

Genelecs help make a great vibe in the room while recording, which is inspiring and can pull better performances from musicians. For mixing though I'd rather have the truth, which Adams provide.

If you're set on the 1031s then $2000 is fair, not great, and that's assuming that they're in very good condition.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
They seemed to be in good condition and, according to the salesman, received little use.

I've read through the threads here and have seen so many good things said about the 8040's--anyone compare them directly to the 1031's?

Re: Adams, no one in Philly sells them. Would love to listen to Genelecs side by side with the Adams. I'm a hobbyist and record myself and friends. I have really horrible monitors now that I still cannot gauge a mix by. And I'm recording more and more acoustic instruments, like drums, and want a set that will allow me to hear spread and depth.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both 1031s and 1032s and have made professional recordings on them for about 10 years (had other brands before that). I'd say the $2000. price would be fair to high assuming they are in great shape and are not too old.

However, if you're not planning on having to carry them around, I'd snap up the 1032s for $2500. 1031s are great for me in that they make me work hard to get a good sound / mix and present lots of detail. The same is true for the 1032's but augmented by a few degrees and they are more natural sounding tonally. I haven't found that either one makes everything sound good personally - just the opposite - that bad stuff sounds really awful and really good stuff sounds really good.

IMO you'd have to spend a lot more to get something better these days.

-Silas

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpony ➑️
They seemed to be in good condition and, according to the salesman, received little use.

I've read through the threads here and have seen so many good things said about the 8040's--anyone compare them directly to the 1031's?

Re: Adams, no one in Philly sells them. Would love to listen to Genelecs side by side with the Adams. I'm a hobbyist and record myself and friends. I have really horrible monitors now that I still cannot gauge a mix by. And I'm recording more and more acoustic instruments, like drums, and want a set that will allow me to hear spread and depth.

Thanks again to everyone who posted.
Hi redpony,

I've used the 1031a's for years great monitor but it took me about 6 months to feel comfortable enough to mix on them.

Though I havent used the 8040s, I have used the 8030s and they are nothing like the 1031a. The 80 series is a completely different line of speaker.

Charlie
Old 25th October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I picked up the 1031's. My wife, in an unusual move, forced the purchase, since it was clear that I really enjoyed them and my rational decision making regarding the 8040's wasn't being made with my ears. If they are a little hyped, well, maybe I'll just enjoy making music that much more.

Right now I'm listening to Chris Whitely's Perfect Day, which was recorded straight to 2-track, and I'm loving it. Now on to bigger and better (and more expensive) purchases....
Old 28th November 2006 | Show parent
SL_

🎧 15 years
lots of people talked here that they prefer ADAMs more for mixing.Could someone specify a particular model of ADAMs? A7 by any chance?
Old 28th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
After too much years, the question exists.
Do you think that 1500$ is a good price for Genelec's 1031?
Do you think that today there are better monitors in the price range until 2500$? And which are they?
πŸ“ Reply