The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
$2000 US to spend..Trakker? Fatso?
Old 27th September 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
$2000 US to spend..Trakker? Fatso?

I'm thinking about the Trakker...I was thinking about a Fatso but with all the good reviews on the Trakker... hmm. Torn between something for mixdown vs. something for vocals and tracking.

Anything else I should be considering?

Help me make up my mind you slutz!!

jho

Old 27th September 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Trakker. More flexible.
Old 27th September 2002
Founder

If distorted rock gtr / acc gtr sounds are 'fizzing' or the steely / scratchy top end is annoying you and your digital system... well, sounds digital and pisses you off, get a Fatso. Otherwise get the trackker..

My Fatso went on the fritz this week.. sent it off for repair..

I think I 'cooked it' on top of another piece of very hot gear..

Jules
Old 28th September 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yeah I've been looking at one for a while (fatso). Just picked up some distressors recently and love em.

I can hear the bits in digital music...like bits of glass...if that makes any sense at all. So will the fatty take care of that?

Sorry bout your fried fatty.
Old 28th September 2002
Founder

Yes fatty removes the glass granules.

Very comprehensive at 'rounding' off the sounds so that they pass through converters & come out the other end, sounding... Like you were used to back in the old 'tape days'.

Old 28th September 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Im thinking thinking the Cranesong tape plug plus the Sony analog channel thingy should take care of my warming needs.

Jules you have both the Fatso and the Hedd correct? How does the Hedd Tape effect compare to the Fatso?

Hopefully Sony will be demoing their dsp effect at AES next week
Old 28th September 2002
Founder

I use

Fatso

Into

Either Prism Dream ADA converters

or a Cranesong Hedd

When I use the Hedd I often tweak in some of the Tape and a fraction of the Pentode.

---------

IMHO - The Hedd really shines as an awesome converter with subtle tape emulation during tracking and at the end of a production acts as an indespencable 1/2" tape simulator, that saves the day on Pro Tools mixes.

IMHO - The Fatso really shines as a tracking / overdub tape simulator that saves all your in-going sounds and makes digitally converterted signals bearable to listen to.

----------

I have the Sony "Warmth generator" beta but have only tried it briefly (good!), I move into a mix phase in a week or so and aim to give it a full road test then. It will be available for a listen at AES LA.
Old 28th September 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks for the 411 Jules!

I don't live in LA anymore so I won't be at AES...

I've been looking forward more to this AES than any in years...so many new toys...err I mean tools..

Jules it would be kewl if you could download the Analog Channel demo and compare it.

It's also interesting that Sony isn't taking GM's path of making HD only plug-ins...this is why my feeling is that the GM EQ/compressor will be the next step above in quality

Old 28th September 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have analog channel HD...

That's not going to come close to the fatty is it? I mean, I like it...it's a good plug...but...

Also, I checked out the cranesong website, no mention of a plug in...? Is this a rumor or is something really coming?
Old 30th September 2002
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hey Jules,
What is the "Sony "Warmth generator" ? Is it a plug in?

By the way, Gearslutz is my favorite site on the web, keep up the good work.
Old 30th September 2002
Founder

Cheers man! Glad you are digging it!

Yes! The Sony 'warmth thing' (doen't have a name yet) is a PT plug in for Mix & HD systems.

Old 30th September 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
huh so if i name it maybe Sony will give me a freebee like Moog did with the "voyager?"

ok Jules.... click HERE!
πŸ“ Reply