The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Custom API Sidecar 8x2x2 Steampunk Recording Mixer
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My Custom API Sidecar 8x2x2 Steampunk Recording Mixer

After a few months of design and moving gear I have finally finished my Custom API 8x2x2 Sidecar Mixer. My buddy Sid Sosa Did the amazing woodwork on the rack and brought our design to life. The solid Copper Inlay is just stunning against the wood. The Vintage Brass Embellishments also worked out well. 100% Wood, Copper & Brass.

After looking at the 8-10 channel mixer options and testing out various gear the past 6 months I decided to go with this configuration which is perfect for how I work.

The API Channels really act like console strips with the ability to come in and out of EVERY component on the strip. Attached to the 8200A I can route all 8 channels to a 2 buss out, have direct outs on each channel, the 2 sends can send out signal for parallel processing, I have meters for IN and OUT on every channel as well as console style mutes. The API Channels also have an Insert to put any other outboard gear in the chain PRE output fader.

In a mix situation, I can use this as an 8 channel summing console. Having the extra Insert on the 8200A, aside from patching more gear POST Fader, I can eventually hook up a Summation or Sigma for Automated VCA and mutes in my Protools Rig.

Another bonus that each L-R pair of channels are DC linked so I can use the 527 compressor section as 4 Stereo Compressors! This thing is highly functional. I use my GML EQ quite a bit so brought that up in the console as well as my API 5500.

Very happy it all worked out and sounds just as great as it looks. I'm a sucker for art so the rack was a labor of love and matches my new "Steampunk" Studio remodel that I just finished as well. Took a bit of DIY planning but it feels really great!

For me it's good news, but thought it was worthy of the High End section.

Old 27th September 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Super groovy!
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WOW!
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sexy time
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I dont know where to begin, but this might be one of my favorite DIY builds I've seen in a good while. Definitely up there with my all time favorites. I was a contractor for a good period of time and did a good few custom jobs so I really know the time this must have taken, and its hard not to respect that. What you've done definitely makes me want to revamp my studio which is pretty punk rock but without the steam You really showed the API's justice. I salute you sir. Job well done. It's beautiful.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Man! Yeah the rack took like 4 months from concept to finish. The Drawer handles were made by an artist in Bali and shipped here. The Ornament on top was made in the 50's and the Channel numbers are Solid Brass Vintage Window markers from the 1930's. I just remodeled the whole space in a steampunk feel with lot's of hand made vintage embellishments and Art. took about 5 months to find everything and finish it. Here are some shot's of the room.

Old 28th September 2013
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Stunning!
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Holy ****! Dude, really my jaw is on the floor. Way to take a concept to the next level, its absolutely inspiring. And I though the steampunk mod to my pc was gonna look good. Again, so Beautiful. So when you mix, do you put on a Bubba Fett outfit?
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Way cool! I love the steam punk theme.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very sick... !!!
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
That whole place looks great.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That's incredible looking!
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Eh. I give it a 6.5.

Kidding. It looks great. Very well done.
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
api

Awesome set up! with api you can have a lot of power packed into a very small footprint. I have a similar setup not as cool looking but very powerful.

Thanks for posting.
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Cheers!
Old 29th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Rob you are the "KING" Great JOB!
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
looks killer dude....congrats.
Old 29th September 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So cool!

Congrats Rob.
Old 29th September 2013
mixmixmix
One of the most creative designs ever. Congrats!!!!
Old 29th September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This made my eyes water. God.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice work. Do the drawers below the API stuff work? Storage?
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, the right side has all my tt cables for the patchbay and left side has DI's, 1/4" cables and accessories. Never have enough storage! a bottle of 18yr Glenlivit fits nicely as well. The drawer liner is all copper as well.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very cool idea..

Has the API summer replaced a console in the room ?
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't had a console in a very long time, just a control surface as it is more conducive to my workflow between post and music. Really love the sound of API but didn't need the features of a full blown 1608 as I only record up to 6 mic's really at any given time for amps, horns etc.. If I need to do drums I record else where. I just have a large Booth and a mix room. Really needed something to do sub mixing/ blending and possible stem mixing, plus I like building esoteric functional shit.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lovely!

Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I LOVE IT!!!! Amazingly well done, congrats and thanks so much for sharing!

I also have a small API rack with a 3124mb+, two 8200A's, a 5500 and a 2500. That beautiful wood rack with inlays is very inspiring!

Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
like this!! like out of that movie 'dune'!
Old 30th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W ➑️
like out of that movie 'dune'!
"Ye who controls the spice......"
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, the room looks great! How are you liking the Tango controllers? They have been out for years, and the design is what the Slate Raven should have been, hardware faders!
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rob, the rack and the room look awesome. Now you just need an Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina for talkback. That would add a nice finishing touch to the steampunk decor.

Stu
πŸ“ Reply