The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum....
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi all,

I just posted a review on my nascent blog;

Gyratec G21 Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum review | Bob Macc's Blog

I don't come here a lot these days, so I'll be slow to get back to any replies here, but I hope this helps explain more about it.

Cheers all!
Old 25th May 2014
Deleted 691ca21
Thank macc that's great, just what I was looking for!
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc ➡️
Hi all,

I don't come here a lot these days, so I'll be slow to get back to any replies here, but I hope this helps explain more about it.

Cheers all!
Great, many thanks! Being the author of the SOS review I found it very enjoyable to read another person's take on the unit!
Old 5th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Gyratec X

Anybody has Gyratec X service manual?

Thank you!
Old 7th June 2014 | Show parent
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwave ➡️
Anybody has Gyratec X service manual?

Thank you!
You should try contacting Jakob.

Contact

Gustav
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
thank you macc !
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
'to Infundibulum and beyond!'
Old 15th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers all!
Bob, this is the best, most honest, and well written review of any piece of gear I have ever read. Ever. I would so love to see your reviews in more, um, mainstream magazines. I've been curious about the G21 since it was announced and not having access to trying it out have been scouring the Net for reviews that could help. Yours nails it. Thank you for writing, and looking forward to reading many more such reviews.
Old 13th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"In this regard, I tend to think of it a bit like a woman (please note that this is intended as a lighthearted stereotype rather than being deliberately misogynistic!). That is, it will be absolutely fine the majority of the time, and then go completely bonkers and scream at you for apparently no reason. There’s no point arguing, there’s no point trying to reason with it, you just have to accept that it isn’t happy about something, and move on."

I larghed outloud, SO true

Well done, its a very usefull and detailed review indeed, now I need to try this beasty by myself
Old 26th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers all!
Great review of the G21, Bob.

Are you still using it, and liking it?

Old 27th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy ➡️
Great review of the G21, Bob.

Are you still using it, and liking it?

Hey hey

I love the box more now. It's utterly fantastic, and it completely beats me why it's not being raved about all over the place. If anything it (possibly, this is speculation) suffers for a) being so unusual in its name and design (a clipper with a 'wacky' name can't be a transparent device, surely?) and b) being so subtle in its work until it gives itself away. But I couldn't live without it now. It's wonderful. I can't help feeling that if they'd called it the 'invisible audio shaver' or 'better-than-tape tape simulation' or something like that, they'd have sold twice as many units. The name and openness about it being a clipper maybe scare people off, I don't know.

Got to say that a major flaw in my review was related to how I used/positioned the box in my chain. It's made to be last, no question. So the slight concerns I said about in the review are really down to me not fully knowing/understanding it. Using it at the end of the chain and being even more gentle than I thought I was being have taken my work up another notch.

I am going to write an addendum/follow up to the review to reflect this, when I get time. While what I said about it is true, when you have it set right and in its originally-intended position (ie, last) it's way way less of a concern.

So yeah, I actually like it more now than I did then. Maybe not for everyone, but it's bloody brilliant.
Old 26th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Follow-up:

https://bobmaccsblog.wordpress.com/2...ddendumupdate/

Jakob E.
Old 1st August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey hey

I love the box more now. It's utterly fantastic, and it completely beats me why it's not being raved about all over the place. If anything it (possibly, this is speculation) suffers for a) being so unusual in its name and design (a clipper with a 'wacky' name can't be a transparent device, surely?) and b) being so subtle in its work until it gives itself away. But I couldn't live without it now. It's wonderful. I can't help feeling that if they'd called it the 'invisible audio shaver' or 'better-than-tape tape simulation' or something like that, they'd have sold twice as many units. The name and openness about it being a clipper maybe scare people off, I don't know.

Got to say that a major flaw in my review was related to how I used/positioned the box in my chain. It's made to be last, no question. So the slight concerns I said about in the review are really down to me not fully knowing/understanding it. Using it at the end of the chain and being even more gentle than I thought I was being have taken my work up another notch.

I am going to write an addendum/follow up to the review to reflect this, when I get time. While what I said about it is true, when you have it set right and in its originally-intended position (ie, last) it's way way less of a concern.

So yeah, I actually like it more now than I did then. Maybe not for everyone, but it's bloody brilliant.
After reading your comments here and your review there I really cant get this unit out of my head...
One thing you mentioned is its behaviour with Rhode Piano etc, where sometimes obvious distortion can ocurr in some cases. Do you think the G21 is better working with electronic music, rock, pop and might be to obvious sonding with puristic acoustic stuff, piano intros and such?
Do you have regularly used (software) clippers, like the one in Limitless, within your chain before you get the G21?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ ➡️
After reading your comments here and your review there I really cant get this unit out of my head...
One thing you mentioned is its behaviour with Rhode Piano etc, where sometimes obvious distortion can ocurr in some cases. Do you think the G21 is better working with electronic music, rock, pop and might be to obvious sonding with puristic acoustic stuff, piano intros and such?
Do you have regularly used (software) clippers, like the one in Limitless, within your chain before you get the G21?
First thing: It doesn't sound anything like the clipper/s in Limitless etc. Although you could possibly make it sound like that I suppose, but it's way more invisible. How/why etc I don't really care tbh. I don't think of it in the same way as those at all. I'm hesitant to say this, but I think of it rather more like tape, but that only applies to the full band clipper. The individual band clippers I think of as (essentially) dynamic-eq-without-eq.

Anyway, I basically don't ever use software clippers (<1% of the time). Make of that what you will.

As far as pianos/pure tones etc go, it's been less and less of a problem over the years as I've learned how to avoid it, or subconsciously just backed off when that stuff might be a problem. I've used it on all sorts of material btw, I do mostly electronic stuff but I've used it on pretty purist stuff...

Also very interesting is that Jakob (over some beers) told me you can send what is effectively a bias tone right up at say, 20kHz+ which fixes that if it does crop up. I've done that once and it worked fine, but mostly I don't even think about this issue any more. Very occasionally I double check to make sure if there is something that concerns me, but usually it's nothing. Could also be related to changing the analogue levels I'm running at a few times over the years too. Maybe Jakob can expand more if he sees this.

I have to also take the chance to reiterate (for the billionth time) how much I love the thing, still. I've said a few times that it's the one piece I will never sell, even when I go deaf.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Also got to stress what Jakob mentions earlier in this thread, about the unit feeding it. Lower impedance units fare MUCH better.

Same with the newer G24 compressor btw, for obvious reasons.
Old 2nd August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also got to stress what Jakob mentions earlier in this thread, about the unit feeding it. Lower impedance units fare MUCH better.

Same with the newer G24 compressor btw, for obvious reasons.
Thanks, makes sense.

Thanks also for your other post. Im not a clipping guy myself too, thats whats keep me away from that unit in the past thought. Whats makes this unit so intetesting is the band related processing, which I think can be really usefull to tame all kind of typical problems while mastering.
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Could someone tell me if this unit is 3ru or 4ru? It looks like 4 from the pictures, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, I'm guessing it has true bypass, considering the nature of the unit?
Old 18th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ ➡️
Whats makes this unit so intetesting is the band related processing, which I think can be really usefull to tame all kind of typical problems while mastering.
Missed this, sorry - but yes, that. It's magnificent (which is why I am still harping on after all these years, haha).
Old 18th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering ➡️
Could someone tell me if this unit is 3ru or 4ru? It looks like 4 from the pictures, but I'm not 100% sure.
4RU

Quote:
Also, I'm guessing it has true bypass, considering the nature of the unit?
Not quite. From the manual;

"The "bypass" function switch (19) bypasses the unit for reference.
This switch takes out all circuity, and leaves only an input load
to prevent levels from jumping wildly when disengaging."

If and when I bypass it, I use the Liaison to bypass it. But this doesn't happen often
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting. I'm considering this unit at some point in the future, but I've run out of inserts on my Crookwood console, so ideally it would just be strapped right before my line ins. I wonder if it would be possible to mod a true bypass into it...
Old 19th August 2017 | Show parent
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you true bypass it, they'll be a level rise when it's inactive. This is why Jakob has the load in place, so the insertion loss stays approximate in bypass. That way you can A/B at least with similar volumes.

If you can't compensate for the loss in your insert switcher, you could build a custom buffer box that makes up the loss from the unit when active and mod the bypass to a true passive bypass. You need 1-3dB of make-up gain I think...

It might not be worth the effort! It's a very cool sounding unit and totally voodoo!

-T
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

That's not the point, though - I'm not so concerned with A/Bing with and without, although that's obviously useful. I would just like the ability to completely bypass the unit if I don't want to use it on a project. Again, the inserts on my Crookwood are already all occupied and I don't really want to start putting more than one unit on an insert.
Old 20th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Most certainly not going to tell you how to work, but I have several inserts with two devices chained. As long as each has its own bypass (or in one case for me, they were just born to be together) then there's no real problem if you ask me.

Obviously it all depends on a zillion things, but, yeah.
Old 20th August 2017 | Show parent
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering ➡️
That's not the point, though - I'm not so concerned with A/Bing with and without, although that's obviously useful. I would just like the ability to completely bypass the unit if I don't want to use it on a project. Again, the inserts on my Crookwood are already all occupied and I don't really want to start putting more than one unit on an insert.
Well I'm sure in that case Jakob could build/modify you one without the bypass load... not sure if it just leaves the input connected in parallel and bypass the processor output, or actively switches to a true in-out bypass path with a load resistor, if it's the latter, it'd be easy to omit the resistor and build what you want. If it's the first option, it'd need more switch contacts and might not be an onboard option, so a more destructive mod.

Talk to Gyraf!
Old 22nd August 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
anyone else using this awesome box?

I wish i owned one.
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Still profoundly in love after all these years. The new G23-S solid state output pairs with the G21 so incredibly well that practically all my reservations aboutthe unit have gone without a trace.

SO good. Sorry. I can't help myself posting in here
Old 4th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vocal example

So, you may wonder how it would sound if you used massive doses of G21 while tracking vocals - and then hit it hard again in mastering..

Sky, a song by We Are The Way For The Cosmos To Know Itself on Spotify

Mix by Carsten Heller, Mastered by ET.

Jakob E.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm happy to say I just picked one up used at a good price. It feels wonderful to hold. I put it on the end of my mix chain and only vaguely knowing what I was doing I messed with some controls and thought "this is really subtle" then I bypassed it and the mix caved in and was so much thinner. Switched it back in and it sounded like vinyl again. Wow.
Having only used it once I know it's wizardry I'll be using permanently from now on.
Thanks Jakob!
📝 Reply