The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
who tried the Smart research C1LA ??
Old 12th August 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
who tried the Smart research C1LA ??

hello i'm looking for a master compressor SSL like... , the obsidian was first on the list but this new one showed up !!

any toughts ?

thanks
Old 15th August 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
Honestly what is all this enthusiasm about the Smart Research 500 Series C1??

Why people did not have the same enthusiasm with the original C1?

Most got all excited and bought the C2...and I would say that 80% of the badass mixers that owned both says the C1 was fatter and truer to what could be a SSL style of bus compressor...

Now C2 fever is gone and now is coming the fever for the C1LA??
why?? because is 500 series and really look great???

mmmm....I guess is the color of the season..

---I own a C1
Old 15th August 2013
  #3
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
thanks for the comments , my guess is the 500 series format is more convenient for some people ( like me ) , the price is attractive too, it's all marketing but smart research is a serious brand i just want to be sure it worth it.
i want something permanently on my 2 buss , i used a phoenix for this task and i need it for others applications.
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
owensands's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL ➑️
Honestly what is all this enthusiasm about the Smart Research 500 Series C1??

Why people did not have the same enthusiasm with the original C1?

Most got all excited and bought the C2...and I would say that 80% of the badass mixers that owned both says the C1 was fatter and truer to what could be a SSL style of bus compressor...

Now C2 fever is gone and now is coming the fever for the C1LA??
why?? because is 500 series and really look great???

mmmm....I guess is the color of the season..

---I own a C1
Well I've never owned a C1 for comparison but on the front of the C1LA it says "all switches out = c1". So I am assuming that if I do that, its exactly like the c1. But then it adds several more features that the c1 and c2 dont have. And they are very usefull features I am finding so far. That and its a small 500 footprint and its much cheaper then a c1 or c2 or SSL or Obsidian or a 2500. Maybe a clone on the cheap is just as good i dont know but so far its sounding great to me. Ive only owned an Obsidian and a 2500 for 2 bus comparison though. One thing it doesn't have though is the crush feature from C2.
Old 16th August 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
The thing with some 500 Series units is like a collectible Item.

Why if the C1LA is like a C1 plus more features cost less... that I do not know.

So how do you compare the C1LA vs the Obsidian?
Old 16th August 2013 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
owensands's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL ➑️
The thing with some 500 Series units is like a collectible Item.

Why if the C1LA is like a C1 plus more features cost less... that I do not know.

So how do you compare the C1LA vs the Obsidian?
Well they have less overhead on the production due to less physical parts. No big 19" case, nuetrik xlr ins and outs power etc. that keeps cost down a bit I'm sure. As for how it compares to the obsidian. It sounds great. Maybe a tad less 3d and hifi as the obsidian but extremely close. Very subtle difference if you actually hear it. I don't have the 500 obsidian though so it's not really a direct comparison. Also the c1la can be a slight bit punchier I think but again it's super subtle and I'm not comparing apples to apples with only the one sc filter setting on the rack version of the dramastic.
Old 28th August 2013
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Frenchie Smith's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themixbedroom ➑️
hello i'm looking for a master compressor SSL like... , the obsidian was first on the list but this new one showed up !!

any toughts ?

thanks
Like mix asked...
Who's used this...
Looks really cool...
Old 31st August 2013
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
Frenchie Smith's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Buzzzz....
Alarm clock going off.
No one has used this?
GS is amazing and useless
Old 1st September 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ELI-173's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hey all,

I had one of these on demo from my beloved VKLA last week. I'll start by saying that I really really dig it. I spent a lot of time comparing it to the VCA section of my SHMC. Of course the SHMC has the output transformers, but still, I was curious as to how they would compare. A few trusted engineer friends came by and we listened. I wish I could post our blind tests, but we used current sessions from clients that won't allow it. Sorry about that.

To summarize, the SHMC has a bit more interesting width and a rounder sound, the C1LA is a bit more in your face with that classic quad smack. The new features are fantastic. Built in sidechain settings were perfect. Also love the two stereo linking options.

I know the VCA section of the SHMC is similar to a smart design, but it's discrete and uses their op amps etc. The C1LA is SMD, and uses THAT 2180C and some TI that I forget. You know what? It sounds great.

Two complaints:
1. The meter isn't lit. With all of the other LED lights, I wish they could have added one more for the meter.
2. The clear poles used to carry the LED light from behind should be glued to the front buttons preventing them from a little wobble.

These are small complaints, it's a fantastic unit.
Attached Thumbnails
who tried the Smart research C1LA ??-c1la.jpg  
Old 1st September 2013
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Frenchie Smith's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks ELI
Old 4th September 2013
  #11
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have the VK demo here now.sounds good.
reminds me of all the things I liked about the C2.
I sold my C2 when I got my SH MC.
the C1LA next to my S Hills MC: I agree w/ ELI.
similar yet different.
SH:a little smoother and rounder ,richer,more weight and color.tiny bit more 3d
The C!LA:bit more aggressive, smack and grit.more that classic firms things up and pushes everything a bit forward.more snappy,SSL rock n roll like.
Would be nice to have both.
the side chain makes it more flexible than the C2 for sure.
a lighted GR VU meter would be cool.
its nice plopped down into the 1608.easy to get to.
Old 4th September 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
I have the VK demo here now.sounds good.
reminds me of all the things I liked about the C2.
I sold my C2 when I got my SH MC.
the C1LA next to my S Hills MC: I agree w/ ELI.
similar yet different.
SH:a little smoother and rounder ,richer,more weight and color.tiny bit more 3d
The C!LA:bit more aggressive, smack and grit.more that classic firms things up and pushes everything a bit forward.more snappy,SSL rock n roll like.
Would be nice to have both.
the side chain makes it more flexible than the C2 for sure.
a lighted GR VU meter would be cool.
its nice plopped down into the 1608.easy to get to.
The c2 has a sidechain cable
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
The c2 has a sidechain cable
Yeah I know
I used to own one.
The c1la has the 3 filters built in and ext sc
Old 5th September 2013 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL ➑️
Honestly what is all this enthusiasm about the Smart Research 500 Series C1??

Why people did not have the same enthusiasm with the original C1?

Most got all excited and bought the C2...and I would say that 80% of the badass mixers that owned both says the C1 was fatter and truer to what could be a SSL style of bus compressor...

Now C2 fever is gone and now is coming the fever for the C1LA??
why?? because is 500 series and really look great???

mmmm....I guess is the color of the season..

---I own a C1
Or the flavor of the month. I went through all that mess of using a C1, C2, SSL Clones back to C2, 2500s and few times in between Rolls yada yada yada, they are all different but none compare to the 33609, not even close.
Old 5th September 2013 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
evilrocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
but none compare to the 33609, not even close.
Nor do banana taste like an apple... but still, which is best?
Old 5th September 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
33609 which one?

with compressors its like pokemon - gotta have them all
Old 5th September 2013
  #17
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah the old 33609 is a different thing.
Apples and oranges.
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
Yeah the old 33609 is a different thing.
Apples and oranges.
I have a C version, all of the above have their pros and cons, overall though the 33609 does it all, I use it on kick, snare and 2 buss, never use the limiter much, what I like about it most the spectrum of the eq remains in tach no matter how you use it, and the mid push is killer. I cannot say that for the others that I mentioned. But yes you are pay much more for the 33609 even used, J/D etc.

The API has its trademark sound.
The Smart has the SSL type sound, close but no cigar
33609 is pure Neve.

I wanna try out a Focusrite RED someday, right now need to pay off some gear.
Old 7th September 2013
  #19
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
if your a 33609 mix buss fan.try the BAE 10DC
..same thick meaty tone but more "air".
Old 7th September 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hey there RB - never mind the SHMC comparison - how does it compare to your obsidian? They are very similar topology eh (jenson trannies in the obsidian though & the Mix control).....which are you gonna keep?
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➑️
Hey there RB - never mind the SHMC comparison - how does it compare to your obsidian? They are very similar topology eh (jenson trannies in the obsidian though & the Mix control).....which are you gonna keep?
Obsidian not here.
Old 7th September 2013
  #22
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
the SH sounds more "expensive".
and it is..lol
Old 7th September 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
RB from an older thread:

"...using the 2500 and Obsidian here. both different/great
I like the API for drum buss and the Ob[VCA/SSL..'ish yet a bit cleaner more hi fi.big 'n wide] is cool for subs & whole mixes..just my pref's tho."

Dude.....do you keep ANY gear for more than 5 minutes??
:/
Old 7th September 2013 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➑️
RB from an older thread:

"...using the 2500 and Obsidian here. both different/great
I like the API for drum buss and the Ob[VCA/SSL..'ish yet a bit cleaner more hi fi.big 'n wide] is cool for subs & whole mixes..just my pref's tho."

Dude.....do you keep ANY gear for more than 5 minutes??
:/
lol indeed.my problem is the Shadow Hills just keeps beating out every VCA comp I bring in.
they're all really good but the SH just has an unbeatable richness and depth .
I DO still have the the 2500.
Old 7th September 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
haha!
Who woulda thought.....you get what you pay for!
Old 7th September 2013
  #26
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
the smart is still really cool.not as smooth n' weighty but maybe a little more aggressive in your face than the SH.
I still want one for room comp.
Old 12th September 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
evilrocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
I have a C version, all of the above have their pros and cons, overall though the 33609 does it all, I use it on kick, snare and 2 buss, never use the limiter much, what I like about it most the spectrum of the eq remains in tach no matter how you use it, and the mid push is killer. I cannot say that for the others that I mentioned. But yes you are pay much more for the 33609 even used, J/D etc.

The API has its trademark sound.
The Smart has the SSL type sound, close but no cigar
33609 is pure Neve.

I wanna try out a Focusrite RED someday, right now need to pay off some gear.
But you were a smart guy before right? Found this post of yours :D

Quote:
2500 on drum buss....YES, on the main buss......Not for me, just to colored, I still prefer my Smart C1, have not heard any compressor do to the bottom end what the Smart does.<br />
Hey I'm a Smart man....lol
Old 3rd October 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm always experimenting with different stuff on the 2Buss, but over the years the 4 that have kind of been mainstays are the old Greyface SSL G384, Smart C1, original Focusrite Red 3 and either a pair of Neve 2264's or a good 33609. It's hard for me to pick a favorite between the 4. they all have their own flavor. Anyways... I'll have a C1LA in the studio later this week. I'll let you guys know what I think.
Old 3rd October 2013
  #29
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I really liked it.
It's just my Shadow Hills sounded more expensive on the stereo bus and I see a pair of BAE 10DC's in my future
Old 3rd October 2013 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
I really liked it.
It's just my Shadow Hills sounded more expensive on the stereo bus and I see a pair of BAE 10DC's in my future
I'm gonna have to get some 10DC's in for demo soon. I'm a 2264 freak. I only have a pair, but I would love to have more. A rack of 8 wouldn't suck.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 76 views: 33491
Avatar for heavengroove
heavengroove 17th October 2019
replies: 1939 views: 410056
Avatar for drBill
drBill 1 week ago
replies: 58 views: 18421
Avatar for metalgearsolid
metalgearsolid 17th December 2020
replies: 6071 views: 656504
Avatar for frankenstino
frankenstino 2 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump