The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
who tried the Smart research C1LA ??
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Paul,

Are you using other buss comps as well, or just not compressing the buss all of the time? Curious to how it stacks up against any others you might be using. I noticed that about the buttons too. I demoed one initially, but curious to how folks are enjoying them down the line. Thanks for the reply!
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
The Smart has been used on the mix.
The side chain features are a nice bonus - no complaints.
I keep the unit in dual mono mostly.
The Smart does the same type of thing as the 4000 compressor in my brother's old SSL mixer which I'm happy about.
Old 10th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So anymore thoughts on this one? How is the metering? Are the knobs stepped/detented?

Has anyone tried the additional output transformer that can be added as an option?
Old 16th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inceptic ➑️
So anymore thoughts on this one? How is the metering? Are the knobs stepped/detented?

Has anyone tried the additional output transformer that can be added as an option?
Yeah, I'm having mine added in 8 weeks so I can tell you after that, though I have to say the Slower Compression schemes and the T2 and x1.5 through to making the Ratio 15+/- to +/-7.5dBm have been my favourite and it really does makes life so much easier as does Side-Chaining thru the Bantams. Smart Research really got this unit 100% right and apart from a wobbly button everything is very erm......"Finished" in it's sound. The ability to throw the C1 and the C2 against each-other was great fun and proved just how same, though different, though same, the "Products sound in frequency Definition". (If you get that sentence). I came away thinking if every unit I owned had the Sound Clarity and could be heard through that Dimensional Smart Research Sound that the " Smart" Products have - MP3's would be banned overnight! I also had the opportunity for the 1st time to use the C2, the C1LA and the XLogic at the same time, and man....was the Xlogic bright in the upper Middle section. From around 2.8Khz to around 4.5Khz the Xlogic really seemed to add a generous amount of Brighter Boost that was near Shiny or Air like in flavour! Anyhoo..

Sending C2 "Crush" at 2:1 into the C1LA was huge fun, and I hope there will be a variable C2 Crush EQ coming soon as just being able to add 3 B-Worth filters to that Fet Comp Crush would be a dream! (If you can't use C2 Crush a 2nd option is to use an 1176 on all buttons in mode or 20:1 with huge Input gain though low output gain and S/chain that into the C1 and you'll get that Fet Crush sound in what I'm saying (some loathe it - on Drums I love C2 Crush!). In Broadcast the ability NOT to be locked in to having TX on the In/Outs makes a big difference though adding them on the Output I think for sure will make a certain harmonic difference, how much, not much I'm sure - gonna have to wait and see? The thing I totally love - PPM Metering, saves a great deal of checking w/ Software Meters and you "Always know" for instance that your well under -16dBFS though not hearing it (Dependant on your dBu to dBFS scenario I.E -20/18 EBU/-15/12 etc.) Being able to double check by looking at VU makes it safe as houses! The other huge pluses for me are the DC linking and the Tri options of None, DC or Stereo Linking. So being able to not have the Programme Width compromised if you want that Open Wide Panning in a Mix (Kind of Tighter in C2 Stereo Mode) where as in the C1LA in DC link Stereo Summing is a much, much more gentle and Left/Right open wide friendly Summing mode that really does not bunch up a mix though lets it breathe and leaves that intended width and glue you mixed into it with, where as with the C2 I used to Mix fully knowing I might lose width, so I would switch to wide Pan on - on the C1LA what you've mixed for comes thru as intended to my ears.

Seems many people think the C1LA can't be used as two Separate Mono Comps, I guess having 1 set of Controls that seem ganged all together, can give that perspective, though all you need to do is keep an eye on changing the Input/Output Meter, Controls and Channels, while you don't get the complete "Dual" meter reading versatility as in a 2 meter 19" Rack unit, with the 1 x 500 Double wide, I would not give the PPM/VU up at all! To me it's a very valuable part of the unit and the Smart Research C1 Sound and Variables people have always agonised over Vs the C2 and the C1 are finally there in the C1LA. It really is the Compressor I wanted. Many have even asked when I'll sell my C2, though I doubt I will, the C2 I can see now is a very different beast, possibly with a hundred and fifty more uses then the 200 I've used it for and then more. Just as Bus Comps are thought of for the Master Bus means absolutely nothing to me. The C2 is perfect for Sub-mixes, Mults and anything and everything from Vox's, BV's Stereo Recording's, Drums, Guitars, Bass, Piano's and Organs even Synthesizers etc. At the actual C1LA price - It's a simple No lose scenario! If you buy one, and decide in 6 months you don't like it - you'll most likely sell it for more then you paid! The other bonus is that in a 500 series Rack as the unit is Double wide Stereo already, you have a second pair of Outputs you can Mult to or apply the Compression to automatically, So recording to a Studer 1/2" and HD Recorder makes simple work!
Hope that helps!
Old 14th February 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi there,

Someone can explain me the difference between :

- Stereo mode
- DC sum Stereo mode

And why to use one rather than the other ?
I mostly wanna use it for my 2buss.

The C1LA could be my first outgear compressor soon

Thanks
Old 14th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attamanu ➑️
Hi there,

Someone can explain me the difference between :

- Stereo mode
- DC sum Stereo mode

And why to use one rather than the other ?
I mostly wanna use it for my 2buss.

The C1LA could be my first outgear compressor soon

Thanks
Having both a C2 and a C1-LA I'd have to say the C1-LA has become my Mix Bus favourite, the reasons being, you can set so many timed slopes on the C1-LA and it can either Slice into waveforms or keep the attack long and release slow and you get that big Punch!

The difference in the C1-LA and its stereo Imaging or Linking are the DC is direct current, so the comp moves in near 1176 SA sympathy verses a side-chain making the stereo signal more phase coherent in imaging etc. Many people say the C2/1 and LA are better in dual mono, though I'm in a different scenario where material for Broadcast prefers staying more phase locked in imaging!

I'd say when Smart Research come out with C2 Cards for the C1-LA you'll find all those API 2500 users coming back to the Smart compressors. Simply, feed back compressors don't or can't create as much compression as Feed Foward type units due to the inherent circuitry and control etc, as to the C1-LA and C2, the only thing I'd love modded to the C2 would be variable Crush, on the C1 the timings are again 2/4/10 and on the C1-LA you'll find yourself using slower attack times and faster release times, then say a C2. After quite a few years, both are just indisputable Compressors.

The Obsidian is certainly interesting though it's not got a seperate Crush mode, nor a Dual Mono scenario though I've not looked at these units for a while I'm sure a compromise has been added. The point? I can Always.....Add Transformer Sounding units, though you can't take them Off!
Old 15th February 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for sharing your expertise
Old 26th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using the C1LA at the end of a SSL sigma
Love it
Old 2nd October 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensands ➑️
Well they have less overhead on the production due to less physical parts. No big 19" case, nuetrik xlr ins and outs power etc. that keeps cost down a bit I'm sure. As for how it compares to the obsidian. It sounds great. Maybe a tad less 3d and hifi as the obsidian but extremely close. Very subtle difference if you actually hear it. I don't have the 500 obsidian though so it's not really a direct comparison. Also the c1la can be a slight bit punchier I think but again it's super subtle and I'm not comparing apples to apples with only the one sc filter setting on the rack version of the dramastic.
OFFTOPIC

Just stumbled casually upon your tracks!
Really nice and solid Techno!
Old 3rd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCLAT ➑️
OFFTOPIC

Just stumbled casually upon your tracks!
Really nice and solid Techno!
ty sir
Old 25th December 2019
Deleted fe72b38
Has anyone used the CL1A and the Wes Audio Dione?

I have these two 500 series comps on my 2020 radar.
Old 2nd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it possible to monitor the sidechain input?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also, does the stock power supply of my API 500vpr

kick out enough juice to power the C1LA?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
you cannot monitor the internal side chain, and yes any API 500 series rack will power the C1LA easily, even with all other slots filled. great, flexibile bus comp for sure
Old 3rd May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was talking about external sidechain, not internal. For instance, if I were to mult the input to the compressor and route it to the ext sidechain; eq it and switch monitoring back and forth between s/c input and comp out, you could then see how eq'ing the s/c affects the output.
Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Could anyone share experiences with the output transformer upgrade?

I'm about to get the C1LA, but wondering if that upgrade would make sense in my scenario.

Most of the time I would to put a pair of Siemens w295b before it and/or the Rupert Neve 542 after it - both have transformers.
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Everyone, I use to add Sidechain plugin on pad or bass (triggered by the kick) as I'm producing Electro. As I'm moving full analog with a lot of 500 slots, do you think it's a good idea to buy the CL1A for this purpose ?

Many thanks!
πŸ“ Reply