The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite/Best 500 series rack?
Old 14th September 2006
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Favorite/Best 500 series rack?

With all these new 500 series modules coming out, I've been sorta fantasizing about getting a 500 series rack and loading it up over time.

I guess I'm thinking more of the full racks, not the lunchboxes but I suppose the quality of the metalwork, connectors, PCB's, wiring, etc. is the same between the same brand.

So....I know there is the Averill, the API of course, the OSA racks, are there any other brands I missed?

The API holds one less module, but in a way that's cool because I figure by 10 modules and the rack I'd be tapped out thumbsup

The API and Averill racks seem about the same price, OSA's are cheaper but are they in the hunt in terms of quality of the metalwork, etc. ?

Thanks,

Analogeezer
Old 14th September 2006
  #2
C/G
Lives for gear
 
C/G's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have and use only the Averill and it is built like a tank. My Shadow Hills modules fit in with no problems and are tight and secure. Averill customer service is great and they are very nice guys, so it's a win/win situation.
Old 15th September 2006
  #3
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogeezer ➡️

OSA's are cheaper but are they in the hunt in terms of quality of the metalwork, etc. ?

OSA uses thick gauge metal and heavy scratch resistent powdercoating. Neutrik XLRs and EDAC connectors. Power supplies for about the last 7 months (since late Feb) have been high quality larger amperage Power One (3 amps) supplies in our own steel enclosure. There is no way to make it better, even if OSA threw more money at it, they are very simple boxes to design & build. The reason they are cheaper is because 1) There is less than 4 people in the company so overhead is low, and 2) OSA orders large parts quanitities whenever possible, so the savings get passed on to the customer.
Old 15th September 2006 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher ➡️
I have and use only the Averill and it is built like a tank. My Shadow Hills modules fit in with no problems and are tight and secure. Averill customer service is great and they are very nice guys, so it's a win/win situation.
I've got a couple of Averill racked Calrec modules and have been very happy with the build quality of those...so yes I figured their 500 series racks would be great.

I get the impression there is no overriding reason to go with the API rack unless you just want an all API system.

Analogeezer
Old 15th September 2006 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred ➡️
OSA uses thick gauge metal and heavy scratch resistent powdercoating. Neutrik XLRs and EDAC connectors. Power supplies for about the last 7 months (since late Feb) have been high quality larger amperage Power One (3 amps) supplies in our own steel enclosure. There is no way to make it better, even if OSA threw more money at it, they are very simple boxes to design & build. The reason they are cheaper is because 1) There is less than 4 people in the company so overhead is low, and 2) OSA orders large parts quanitities whenever possible, so the savings get passed on to the customer.
Thanks for the input.....IIRC there were some minor issues with the older builds but that was from a couple of years back, so I figured things were different these days.

The Averill and API racks are basically the same price, and in the overall scheme of things ($200 price difference in the OSA rack) matters not much after you've loaded an entire rack over time.

I'd be curious to hear about compatibility/reliability issues as if you have a problem with the rack or loading non-API modules it kinda sucks as you can't use any of the modules.

Pretty cool all this 500 compatible series stuff coming out, that's what caught my interest...I'd still want some API EQ's, maybe a couple of pres but would also like to mix and match some too.

Gee, 11 modules, that could lay waste to a serious amount of cash

Analogeezer
Old 15th September 2006 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The power supply is very important. With units like the Buzz Elixer drawing double or triple the power of a API or OSA module, you don't want to end up running out of power before your rack is filled up.
Old 15th September 2006 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➡️
The power supply is very important. With units like the Buzz Elixer drawing double or triple the power of a API or OSA module, you don't want to end up running out of power before your rack is filled up.

I posted this on the other thread, just want to make sure there is no misinformation (based on real current info):

The 3 amp supply that he is getting should power 15 Elixirs easily and still leave almost a full amp headroom from the PSU for 'real world' juice. I've had 22 OSA's hooked up simultaneously to the same supply without a hiccup, but the supply could probably reasonably do double that.

BTW, just for everyone out there, it's spelled, Elixir, with two I's.
Old 15th September 2006 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Guess I shoulda got the OSA. My 6 space API rack is only rated at 350 ma, I believe, which is fine for six 50ma modules (the accepted standard) but put 2 Elixirs in there and you're almost maxed out. I heard somewhere that API will be beefing up their power supplies, or maybe they already have. Too bad I didn't know this 6 months ago.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump