The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 24th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
definitely is what I really mean. I’m trying to be a little more neutral. And book an appointment for the genius bar already so you can get your “L” back lol
WeII, it's definiteIy not definiteIy, as definiteIy a Iot worked very wiIIingIy on them, did have success, and found it rather hard to impossibIe to repIace some of their quaIities. ProbabIy.
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
WeII, it's definiteIy not definiteIy, as definiteIy a Iot worked very wiIIingIy on them, did have success, and found it rather hard to impossibIe to repIace some of their quaIities. ProbabIy.
I know a lot of people.” That doesn’t mean everybody or you. I don’t know you

how I ironic, my reply to you said “you of all people know how sensitive people can be here, I’m trying to be more neutral.” Definitely shouldn’t have edited it lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even though I love them, the ns10 is too much of hotly debated topic here, and I know a lot of musicians and engineers unwillingly worked with them for years, and probably had success. moving onto something else was probably not so difficult though
I think the NS10's became a rights of passage thing.

I paid a lot of dollars for a mint pair and a big Hafler 3000 amp - just so I had a pair and could experience the NS10 thing - and the white cones sure look iconic.

After I felt I'd owned them long enough I sold them to next inductee and made a $400 profit - so the whole NS10 thing worked out well for me.
Old 24th December 2021
Deleted 26d6446
I love ns10s. Especially with an amphion amp
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love ns10s. Especially with an amphion amp
I think if more people heard them with their intended subwoofer, the YST SW 100, they would have a fresh appreciation of the NS10. That's a killer little sub: I have three, and you can find them cheap secondhand because punters don't realize you can get great bass out of 2-7" paper drivers when the design is right.
Yamaha YST-SW100 Subwoofer
Old 25th December 2021
Deleted 26d6446
When building your own monitors. Are higher density wood better than lower density? For example, if I knock on a piece of wood for building an enclosure, do I go with the one that rings more or less? what are the benefits of each if it’s a preference thing
Old 25th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins ➡️
I think if more people heard them with their intended subwoofer, the YST SW 100, they would have a fresh appreciation of the NS10. That's a killer little sub: I have three, and you can find them cheap secondhand because punters don't realize you can get great bass out of 2-7" paper drivers when the design is right.
Yamaha gives the prerequisites for the use of the NS10: semi reverberating room (a living room), in the corners, around 4 m distance.
the problem is that in the near field the bass disappear and the neutrality. Obviously a sub will make the NS10 listenable.

Don't forget the toilet paper on the tweeter.
Old 26th December 2021
Deleted 26d6446
Also, what about exohyde? Do they alter speaker acoustics in anyway?
Old 30th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins ➡️
Thanks for the tip !
I need to find this subwoofer for my NS10 !
How is the result combining those 2 units ? Having nice mixing results?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Old 19th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
This thread has really been something!

First, people were harshly critical of amirm and Genelec 8351/61's, to an almost toxic personal level.

Then... John Hanes comes in to give his thoughts... And interestingly, the Genelec and amirm critics went silent.
Let’s break that silence. I owned and used lots of Genelec monitors. Most had some big strengths. All had awful high end. If the Genelec monitor brand was a person he would be carrying a knife. The first hour or so he would seem allright and then he would keep trying to stab me.
Old 19th March 2022 | Show parent
Deleted 017a497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn W ➡️
Let’s break that silence. I owned and used lots of Genelec monitors. Most had some big strengths. All had awful high end. If the Genelec monitor brand was a person he would be carrying a knife. The first hour or so he would seem allright and then he would keep trying to stab me.

What Genelecs have you owned and used?
Old 20th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
strangely this happened to me in the first 48 hours of listening, and then i got used to it, it was the brain breaking it in, not the speakers.

everyone else that came by mine lauded the clarity and precision they were hearing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 017a497 ➡️
What Genelecs have you owned and used?
8020, 8040, 8341 with 7360 mainly. But I have heard more. The coax ONE’s are Nice, but still that treble… :(
Deleted 017a497
Quote:
8020, 8040, 8341 with 7360 mainly. But I have heard more. The coax ONE’s are Nice, but still that treble… :(
Interesting. I haven’t used the 8341s specifically but one of the first things I noticed about the 8331s compared to the 8330s that they replaced was how different the top end is. Definitely from a similar family, but even just playing pink noise through them to calibrate levels, the 8330 sounds like it is low passed by comparison.

My s360s sound entirely different again. Not much point in making new models if they all sound identical.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Neumann KH420 Review on audiosciencereview:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...monitor.33529/

"Conclusions
We have grown to expect excellence from Neumann but not power capability. The KH420 nicely remedies that producing a speaker that you could buy and forget about upgrading ever again. Every bit of the system oozes excellence in engineering which comes across both looking at it and hearing it. It also has an advantage over some other studio monitors in that it looks more like a "normal" speaker.

It is my pleasure to add the Neumann KH420 to my recommended list. Will be sad to see it leave....."

-
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
📝 Reply