The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 1031a vs KRK V8
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Genelec 1031a vs KRK V8

As anyone ever compared the two?

I'm looking to upgrade my V8's, and I was wondering if the 1031 would be a step in the right direction?

and how would you compare them to the 1032?

Thanks in advance.
Imagine
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I did .... allready a while ago :

for me KRK : nope, can't realy remember why but remember that they were out from the very beginning.

Upgrading towards 1031's is definately an improvement.

1031 : yes (only problem I have with them is after long days .... they weigh heavy on your ears ... or at least mine.)

1032 : nope (think Genelec missed out on these, very harsh sounding IMHO.)

I would definately check out some others too : ADAM (everybody seemes to like them nowadays, Dynaudio... still my favourite)
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
agree with Chris...1032's not happening (hip hop guys think so) ..one buys 1031's as a standard...I prefer S30's (C's or D's). the KRK E8 a viable upgrade if you like them...some folks think the 1031's dont make you work hard enough...for those of our clients the E8 has worked well..listen to em both
Old 19th September 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How about neither? Every studio that i freelance at here in the city(Right Track,Unique,Kampo) I always end up changing the EQ settings in the back of the 1031's(they actually end up sounding like powered NS10's). I personally don't like either one, I am not crazy about powered monitors in general. If I were to choose a pair of powered monitors, probably a pair of ATC SCM50's. ATC designs one of the best midfield drivers out there.
Old 19th September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
...some folks think the 1031's dont make you work hard enough...

yup .... I'm definately one of them ...
Old 21st September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PMC...... all the way!

Thrillfactor is u dig ATC.. try the PMC's to me they were na abject revelation...... IMHO definately int he ATc ballpark but clearer, larger soundstage and more dynamics.

I ahve used the TB2 and loved it to pieces. No harsh and they REALLY tell u whats going on across the WHOLE frequency spectrum..... no buls****!!

But they do need a GOOD poweramp unless you buy bryston powerpacks for them.

These speakers eat KRK and Genelecs for breakfast and **** them out before lunch!

Would love to try ADAMS and see what allt he fuss and rave really are about but here in Australia there is no one distributing them... so PMC suffice.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 21st September 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've used the PMC IB1s and bb2. They do sound good. I am not crazy about powered monitors in general or nearfields for that matter. I hope in the years to come we move away from the whole nearfield thing. Its been almost 20 years since Bob Clearmountain ushered the whole NS10 craze. No one at home listens to nearfields(unless its some kinda bookshelf system), and just about everyone listens in cars. Another powered nearfield for consideration is by a company called Meridian. A very good monitor indeed.
Old 23rd September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
last i checked..Bob C was using KRK E8's...the same price as 1031's here...But i obviously put my foot in my mouth on 1032's as George Massenburg uses them in a 5.1 config
Old 23rd September 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Bob also uses Apple computer monitors. He is always trying different things.
Old 23rd September 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bob C. has the E7s. which are smaller than the E8s. His favorite are still the NS10s.
Old 11th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS ➑️
.... some folks think the 1031's dont make you work hard enough...
Would you plese elaborate on this? (Six years later)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
genelecs, yeah!!

genelecs are, in a word , accurate ......unlike the vast majority of monitor speakers, they actually reproduce the frequency response of the material you are recording,resulting in , (surprise!) no surprises when you listen on other systems.
ns10s? yeeecchhh.....I have to wonder how you know that they are " still his favorite"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dan, don't know which model of Genelec you're speaking of, but I couldn't disagree more with regards to the 1031. I had them for years and they ALWAYS led me down the wrong path. I was too caught up in the popularity of them to think the problem wasn't in my poor mixing skills. Lots of people mix well on them so it is an individual match, but for ME, they were a disaster (always having to do remixes to tweak, after hearing on other systems). From day one, upon getting a different set of monitors, my mixes were spot-on. No more remixes at all. Sure made me feel better about my skills. Maybe other models of Genelec are better, but not this one.
david
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm told that the "A" in the 1031As improved on the overall balance in that model of Genelec.
Old 20th February 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' ➑️
Dan, don't know which model of Genelec you're speaking of, but I couldn't disagree more with regards to the 1031. I had them for years and they ALWAYS led me down the wrong path. I was too caught up in the popularity of them to think the problem wasn't in my poor mixing skills. Lots of people mix well on them so it is an individual match, but for ME, they were a disaster (always having to do remixes to tweak, after hearing on other systems). From day one, upon getting a different set of monitors, my mixes were spot-on. No more remixes at all. Sure made me feel better about my skills. Maybe other models of Genelec are better, but not this one.
david
Which monitors were more to your liking?
Old 20th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' ➑️
Maybe other models of Genelec are better, but not this one.
david
The 8000 series are absolutely disastrous in terms of accuracy. I used to think the bigger ones were better, (8040A & 8050A), but actually the 8030A is by far the best of the four different models, and isn't THAT fantastic.

The 8040A and 8050A are ludicrously bass-heavy...
Old 2nd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Genelec..

Ya Even my Genelec 1030a is a bit bass heavy.
try the bass roll off if you got no basstrap in your room.
It should be a lot clearner sound.

I looked at the frequency response of Gen1030a,1031a, it's a bit heavy around 100hz.
8040a,8050a i was never use to their stereo image....lol...
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If only the the KRK VXT series was already here to save your life upgrading from the V8's!
πŸ“ Reply