The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GEAR shoutout for Sydney's Australian GS
Old 20th August 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
GEAR shoutout for Sydney's Australian GS

Hey guys!

We are trying to organize a gear shootout in our Studio in Sydney (www.limestonestudios.com.au)
The goal is to actually hear what difference gear makes on different source in perspective with a wide array of equipment.

We've got a nice Live Room and control room, with a Grand Piano, Drum Kit, Ac Guitars, Elec Guitar, Bass, Rhodes etc... and We can play them all decent enough for the purpose of the test. We can also organize a singer for the day. But if you're one, let us know. We would love to have both a male and female vocalist for the test.

We would like to test: Pre Amps, Compressors, EQs and Mics
Now here is the list of what we've got. So if you are interested in participating and complementing that list, please join us! Just post want you can bring along with you for the test. Once we've got a decent amount of people and gear, we'll setup a date!

Note: Everything will be run through a PT HD 2 rig and monitor through Dynaudio BM6a

Mics:
1 x Peluso 22 47 LE
2 x Peluso CEMC6
2 x Audio Technica 4050
1 x Audio Technica 3030
2 x AEA R84 Ribbon
1 x AKG Solidtube
1 x Studio Project C3
1 x AKG D112
1 x Audix D6
1 x Audix D4
2 x Audix D2
1 x Audix D1
2 x Shure SM57

Pres
1 x Buzz Audio Elixir
2 x OSA MP1 L3
2 x OSA MP1 C
1 x OSA MP1 L
1 x OSA MP1 A
1 x Focusrite ISA 428
1 x UA 2-610

Eq

1 x API 550b

Comp

2 x Distressors
1 x LA2A
1 x Alan Smart C2 (on Loan at the moment...so might not be there...will see)
Old 20th August 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Damn! wish i could come

Have a good time, keep us posted with results.
Old 20th August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Steeve - if there's anything that anyone wants to hear from our portfolio on the day, please get in touch. The (reasonably) new DPA 4090's are really interesting - particularly when used with the Ghost Reflexion Filter. We have just taken delivery of the new sE Ribbon plus there's the entire sE and Buzz ranges. Take a look at our site for details of other products I'm always happy to drop anything over. The Buzz compressor that fits the API rack may be here by then.

www.gbg-technology.com

Scott GBG
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks Scott, I'm sure people will be interested in hearing the Buzz and sE Product. Once i've got a fair amount of people interested, I will defenitly contact you and see if we can arrange to get some gear from you! I'm really interested in hearing that new Buzz Compressor for the 500 serie rack! Thanks again!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey bsteeve,

This would be very, very cool! I'd love to come by and check out gear as well as meet some other Sydney Gearlsutz.

I have a Shadow Hills Equinox ordered which I could bring along if I get my hands on it in time. I also have some Genelec 8040's if you want to A/B them to the Dyna's.

Other then that I've got a TFpro P38 (compressor) on layby at the moment which could interest some folk. Plus some other gear I can bring depending on what's missing from the final list.

In anycase, put me down!!!

Rez
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When are you doing this shootout?

Nick
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Reza, very cool, I'd like to hear the shadow hill stuff and also the New Genes... Heard very good things about that model.
Now I can't give a date about the shootout yet, as I need to organize it on GS first. Might be in 2 weeks, might be in a month... I don't know. Once we've got a good group of people, we will do it. Depending on the success of the operation, we might have to do a few sessions. I'm not planning on doing a 2hours shootout. I'd like it to be relevant, so we'll probably have a shootout day!

So we can now add

1 x Shadow Hill Equinox
1 x Genelec 8040
1 x TFPro P38 Compressor.

And I'm sure Scott from GBG will lets us try some of the following (to be confirmed)

1 x DPA 4090
1 x Ghost Reflection Filter
some of the sE mics
and some of the Buzz Audio products, including the new 500 serie rack Compressor

We are going to have some serious fun guys!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thats a lot of nice gear to test in a day Steeve, would be fun though. I've got some tasty outboard gear too. But I don't think they'll fit in my Harleys saddle bags. I may be able to bludge a lift and bring a piece or 2. Been busy though, so once its planned I'll know whether or not I could attend.

Avalon AD 2055
smart C2
Pendulum es8
Buzz soc 1.1

Heath
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I see you intend to listen to some Genelecs. I can drop a pair of Questeds into the equation if you like. Scott

www.gbg-technology.com
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got the following available if you want to try out

OUT BOARD
Chandler Germanium
Drawmer 1968
Buzz Audio SSA 1.1
API 3124

MICS
Soundelux U195
Brauner Phantom C AE
SP T3 (if not sold)

Nick

I'll bring some snags (that'll confuse the yanks)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks Heaven, that's great. I know that we might end up with a lot of gear to try out. That is why we might end up doing it over a day or 2, we will see how we go. It all depends on the size of the experiment! We'll organize it so it's not going to be chaos and everybody can benefit from it. We will probably do a few blind tests to get people opinions and preferences on a specific unit in perspective with others. We should hopefully then be able to describe what a unit did or did not do well on a specific app, and makeup our minds!
We'll record some sound samples on Drums, Piano, Acc Guitar and Vox for the comparisons. We will also compare what is comparable, Pre Against Pres, Compressor against Compressor etc... on revelant sources of course.

Thanks for the quested Scott, I guess will add monitoring on our tryout list!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth ➑️
I've got the following available if you want to try out

OUT BOARD
Chandler Germanium
Drawmer 1968
Buzz Audio SSA 1.1
API 3124

MICS
Soundelux U195
Brauner Phantom C AE
SP T3 (if not sold)

Nick

I'll bring some snags (that'll confuse the yanks)
Nice one Nick!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Nice one Nick!
You mean for the snags or the gear.heh

Nick
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think you'd better just bring sangers! Cranking up the Webber in a 3rd floor Oxford St suite may just set off the smoke alarms!

And why would you smoke up such a beautiful studio space. It's even got a piano that tells you when it's thirsty. Honest I'm telling the truth. I know what you're going to say. "It sounds like you've been smoking up too much already" but it's true. The piano actually tells you when it's thirsty!
Old 21st August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Heathen, what nice outboard do you have? We might be able to add a couple wheels to your Harley and organize pick up if you want (and don't mind)...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
also Scott, could you confirm that we can get the following from you:

Buzz
MPE: Mono Parametric Equaliser
and the New 500 serie Comp. if possible
I also know that they will be a New 2.2 EQ, coming out... do you know when that is?

sE
The Gemini
The Titan,
The ribbon
The Icis
sE Z5600a
The reflection filter.

DPA 4090 Mics

Quested monitors
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hi all

sounds like a great night will be had by all.

wish i could come but i am not a pilot.

have fun and plese post pics and samples

cheers ramjet
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Those items shouldn't be a problem Steeve. Just let me know the date asap so I can make sure that they are available. There are no Titans in the country at the moment but I do have the new sE Ribon (R1).
Old 21st August 2006
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Hey guys!

We are trying to organize a gear shootout in our Studio in Sydney (www.limestonestudios.com.au)
Hey, sounds interesting and extremely close (it so happens my workspace/house is very close, in fact, I'm about 30 metres round the corner from Sony in Hargrave St).

I didn't know you guys were there - and I was looking for a 'tools shop that isn't Sony a couple of weeks ago :-( Oh well, now I know.

I'll have a think about things I could bring to the party if it's do-able.

Paul
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulseta ➑️
Hey, sounds interesting and extremely close (it so happens my workspace/house is very close, in fact, I'm about 30 metres round the corner from Sony in Hargrave St).

I didn't know you guys were there - and I was looking for a 'tools shop that isn't Sony a couple of weeks ago :-( Oh well, now I know.

I'll have a think about things I could bring to the party if it's do-able.

Paul
Thanks Paul, It's going to be a lot of fun and very informative. A good opportunity to meet each other as well! Let us know what you can bring to the party! Cheers, Steeve
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Limestones in Darlinghurst right, whats the address.
Depending on when it is i might make a trip down
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thinking about the dates, how does Sat 30th September and/or Sun 1st of October sounds to you guys? This give us some time to get it organized and get Raza to get his Shadow Hill Equinox and Hopefuly Scott to get the New Buzz Comp!
If everybody is available on those dates, let me know and we'll make it official.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That's great Steeve - that'll give us pleanty of time. We have the Buzz mono EQ in stock and i will start to chase up the compressor for the API 500 rack.

The Questeds, DPA 4090 and sE gear will all be available but I don't think that there will be a Titan available. I would also like to drop over a couple of the Ghost Acoustic panels for the gang to have a look at. I'm pretty certain that not evrybody has a fantastic acoustic space like Limestone to work in. They may be interested in having a look at what is a very affordable off the shelf, quick fix solution.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Steeve,

September 30 and/or October 1 sounds great for me, but it's a long weekend so some people might be out of town.

Just a thought... but hey - it works for me!

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey guys! It seems that our little endeavor is having quite a good response. Our friend Adam from Newcastle is keen on bringing a Peach Audio m196's.. a Telefunken V672's..
Some Sweedish 'Pearl' mics.. 1 a valve the other not.. A vari mu style 2ch comp and a eqp1a type 2ch eq custom made for me by Greg at EKADEK in NZ.. Great isn't it!
We might also might get some custom tube pre amp from Melbourne!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ouuu sounds awesome!

Looks like i wouldnt be able to make, i'll be in hamilton from 27th-4th Oct.

I think this calls for a queensland gear shootout!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I could throw a dangerous 2 buss into the mixx if you want. I would be keen to come along
Regards
Ricky
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Count me in Slutz.. I've pm'd Steve with my details and that w/end works for me..
Lets get it aown!!!!!
Old 23rd August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky ➑️
I could throw a dangerous 2 buss into the mixx if you want. I would be keen to come along
Regards
Ricky
So we have 2 summing boxes so far! great stuff, Thanks Ricky!
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Guys!!!

First the exciting news!! Nick just told me that Front End Audio, Mixmasters and Legacy Audio might be keen on us borrowing a couple of things for the Shoutout!!!
This includes all the API, Chandler, AVALON, GML, Empirical Lab stuff and the Brauner, Coles and Josephson Mics!!!! Unreal!!! It is yet to be confirmed what we can get from them... so let's not get too excited, but if it happens, we'll have a fantastic arrey of gear to listen to. This will definitly take us a couple days to test it all!

The other thing, about the dates. A few people will not be able to make it that weekend because it's the long week end, this includes Louis who runs the studio with me! (he will absolutly hate if his not their!!) So we where thinking of doing it the weekend after, Sat the 7th and Sun the 8th of October. Is this cool with everybody??
πŸ“ Reply