GEAR shoutout for Sydney's Australian GS
Old 10th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
May the force be with you!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey chris! I saw you are quite a quad eight fan as well! So when are going to get them rack up!! If you want to sell them... you know where to go now did you try the comp?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have 8 channels, racked and restored by Rob in Adelaide.
Mostly MM61's with hi and lo eq only.
Just pondering whether to continue to do more (it's expensive!), or sell a few.
I have an awesome looking dual graphic I'll definitely keep. Rob was a bit down on the comps (AM2b), but they look killer (70's candy orange).
I've yet to fire any of my Q8 up yet, as I'm still looking for a drum room/studio.
Preferrably, I'd locate it in a country house, but that's been an elusive goal so far.
For one thing, property is so expensive, although prices are falling which is good for me.
Secondly, the net is so godamn slow/expensive for remote recording.
Hoping the Force will guide me OB1.
Old 11th November 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We could try them up at the studio one day if you feel like it, so we both be able to hear them! Interest rate are rising which means that you might found a few people selling their house because they are going bust. Australia IS the most expensive country in the world for housing in regards to income per inhabitant! Here in Sydney it's even worse!!! ...Selling a few quad will unfortunatly not get you there!... Anyway we are broke now that we bought those new babies... We are also getting that dual tube pre amp from the 60's... 4 rack unit high! There is only one in existance as it was custom made in NZ by ekadek...., Can't wait!!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Man, you're spending like it's going out of style.

I saw that Ekadek stuff advertised on the Mixmasters website.
What's the story?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it used to be a line amp used just before going to tape... Ekadek modified it a long time ago for somebody in Melbourne to also accept mic and added low and hi shelve EQs. We are getting on Monday... we are going to try before we buy obviously... but from what I heard, the person selling it is divorcing and have to sell all his gear because of it!!! I'm not 100% sure but it seems like the story unless I'm mixing 2 different things...
Old 21st November 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
We're any of the OSA's used in the test? Any thoughts?
Old 8th April 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Doing this again???

Hi all

Are there any thoughts of doing this again? Can donate some gear...
Ben, thinking about getting the Thermonic Phoenix and see you had one at the shoot-out. Any thoughts re buss compressors after the shoot-out???

Thanks
Mick
Old 9th April 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Hi all

Are there any thoughts of doing this again? Can donate some gear...
Ben, thinking about getting the Thermonic Phoenix and see you had one at the shoot-out. Any thoughts re buss compressors after the shoot-out???

Thanks
Mick

yeh! another shootout would be awesome
all in favour say "I"
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I have 8 channels, racked and restored by Rob in Adelaide.
Mostly MM61's with hi and lo eq only.
Just pondering whether to continue to do more (it's expensive!), or sell a few.
I have an awesome looking dual graphic I'll definitely keep. Rob was a bit down on the comps (AM2b), but they look killer (70's candy orange).
I've yet to fire any of my Q8 up yet, as I'm still looking for a drum room/studio.
Preferrably, I'd locate it in a country house, but that's been an elusive goal so far.
For one thing, property is so expensive, although prices are falling which is good for me.
Secondly, the net is so godamn slow/expensive for remote recording.
Hoping the Force will guide me OB1.

if you want to sell any Quad Eight Mic Pres. please let me know.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if you have another one please post some results. I had a great time last time everyone convened and put all the gear through its paces.. thanks again to the lads for hosting it... great little studio with good sounding rooms.. Am yet to hear a bad 'Priddle' room.

Some of that stuff has made my shopping list and to buy list definately... altho another purchase of a bigger kind is looming.. hehehehe

I'm sure people have got a bit of new kit to throw into the ring since the last shoot out!

RE: ekadek stuff its kinda cool and funky. Very on the coloured side of the spectrum. I bought a few things from him many moons ago, but it was not his stuff, more other bits and pieces he had going and modded etc.

Cheers
Wiggy
πŸ“ Reply