The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who is using Manley gear?
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Pure curiosity, how well are the guts constructed on Manley's stuff? Seem to recall a user with a very poor example of a Vari Mu or ELOP, shoddy worksmanship. Hopefully that was just one bad example.
Old 16th February 2014

🎧 15 years
I remember seeing a macro photo of a closeup of a Variable Mu PCB that looked much scarier than it was in real fact. In any case, this gear is built by hand, in America, by humans, most of which have more than ten or even more than twenty years with me. There will be mistakes and hopefully we catch them all in QC. But in the case we don't, I can be proud of the world's best service department, headed up by Paul Fargo. When you consider that there are around 40,000 Manley units out in the world and service is covered by basically one guy, this shows me that we are doing most things right. And we are always striving to improve. That's an honest answer.
Old 16th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As an owner of both a Manley Dual Mono preamp and an ELOP compressor I can attest that the build quality of both units is pretty much the best it could possibly be. Everything is clearly hand wired to an impeccable standard and both units have been completely rock solid and reliable for me over more than 7 years of near daily use.

Manley is a company that I have a lot of faith and trust in. Though I have never needed my Manley equipment serviced, I have complete trust that if I should need to have a repair completed that they would be there for me.
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAnna Manley ➑️
I remember seeing a macro photo of a closeup of a Variable Mu PCB that looked much scarier than it was in real fact. In any case, this gear is built by hand, in America, by humans, most of which have more than ten or even more than twenty years with me. There will be mistakes and hopefully we catch them all in QC. But in the case we don't, I can be proud of the world's best service department, headed up by Paul Fargo. When you consider that there are around 40,000 Manley units out in the world and service is covered by basically one guy, this shows me that we are doing most things right. And we are always striving to improve. That's an honest answer.
Very cool, thanks for responding. It seems we're probably thinking of the same instance. I think somebody got overly worried about some flux (sic?) marking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio ➑️
As an owner of both a Manley Dual Mono preamp and an ELOP compressor I can attest that the build quality of both units is pretty much the best it could possibly be. Everything is clearly hand wired to an impeccable standard and both units have been completely rock solid and reliable for me over more than 7 years of near daily use.

Manley is a company that I have a lot of faith and trust in. Though I have never needed my Manley equipment serviced, I have complete trust that if I should need to have a repair completed that they would be there for me.
Super cool.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thinking of getting an elop as a tracking compressor.
And was wondering how recommended it is?
Good for guitars bass keyboards?
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own a VoxBox, Gold Ref Mic, and Massive Passive. Build quality just doesn't get any better. Customer service has always be great.
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I like the other Manley gear, very high quality stuff, but the MP is the best EQ I have ever heard. There are few pieces of gear that transcend their design and cost like the MP.
Old 18th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Manley ELOP here -- love it for vocals and bass. Haven't tried it on much else, to be honest.

Would love to pick up a Vari Mu and Mass Pass when I can cough up the dough...

That FAQ is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time, especially the endorsement part :-) Good stuff!
Old 19th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrice ➑️
Thinking of getting an elop as a tracking compressor.
And was wondering how recommended it is?
Good for guitars bass keyboards?
I love my ELOP for vocals, bass, acoustic guitar, piano, and even bowed strings like violin and cello. The unit itself has a very beautiful subtle coloration to it. Like a fine shiny dusting that just enlivens the source ever so slightly. A great unit.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a good chunk of their gear. It's all beautiful in sound and build quality.

You simply can't go wrong.

The only note of caution would be that the Manley gear, especially equalizer, can take some getting used to. All the band's cross over with anything in their range and affect each other. This is unlike most typical units, but the results are also better by far than other equalizers I have used.

Take a little time, read the manuals, look at the graphs, and you will find the gold. That's what Manley makes, in my opinion, pure gold.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had the VoxBox for years. I miss it like crazy for bass guitar, kick drum, and some (very few) singers. Still sometimes, I just wanted the John Hardy, or Sytek(at the time). I sold it so I could afford a couple of 4 channel pres.

Still using and loving my Vari-Mu tho! Kick, Snare and 2 Buss.
Old 20th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
VoxBox and Massive Passive.

Really much love for both.

: )

Also had an ELOP and a Gold Ref Stereo, unfortunately I sold when I needed $.

With the VoxBox I can go from a cleaner sound than my Millennia HV-3, to a
colored fat warm f*cking amazing sound that brings gtr amp emulators to life.

Massive Passive lives in my MixBus.

Still planning to get a Gold Ref.
πŸ“ Reply