API 7800/8200 for mix buss compression - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 7800/8200 for mix buss compression
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
API 7800/8200 for mix buss compression

Hey all,

Our studio just bought an API 7800 master module with the 8200 8-channel mixer module with the intent of having a high quality summing mixer that can also do parallel compression on the mix buss. This unit seems like a dream come true for our way of working.

However here we are trying to figure out how to wire it for our studio's specific needs, and we can't seem to find any aux returns. There are sends, sure, but no returns! Does anyone use this unit for parallel compression? How do you do it?

Apologies if this is some really simple bull**** that we're missing. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Can the three two-track inputs ( external monitor inputs ) be used at the same time, or does selecting one mute everything else?
Also, FDR IN ( Stereo Fader Input ) can be used as a return.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
In the 7800 manual pdf on page 9, it indicates;

STEREO SUMMING AMP OUT
This would send to a bus compressor like the API 2500

STEREO FADER INPUT
This is where you would return a bus compressor.
It is the input to the STEREO FADER

I don't currently have the 7800 (was contemplating for the future), but utilize two 8200A units (with internal sum/bus trafo sections and outputs) along with a separate monitoring/control mixer. So, I hook things up differently and utilize the xlr bus outs and the 5, db25, 8-channel connections on back of the 8200A's for; inputs/insert sends/insert returns/direct outs/aux out (bus 1/2, send 1/2, solo 1/2).

Anyway, these are great mixing units!

Good Luck!

Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Dudes,

Thank you for the replies. It does sound like those are useful ins and outs.

What I'm not sure I'm understanding about the routing is if when they refer to the bus compressor out and return, are they referring to this as an in-series send and return style insert, post-summing? Or is it a parallel return that blends with the summed signal?

If it's the latter, you could take signal from the sends on the 8200 and return them in the "stereo fader input," thereby blending that with the summed, non-compressed signal. That's basically the scenario we're looking for - a mix buss compressor that is getting fed by the auxes and blending in the final stage before the outputs to the 2-track recorder. However, if it's the former, and it's just an insert for a downward, in-series bus compressor, that would be a bummer for our purposes.

I wish the literature were more explicit about this issue. Does anyone have one who uses it for parallel compression successfully?

Thanks!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The Stereo Fader Input accesses the main stereo buss, and you can use it to bring any signal into the unit, especially usefull for expansion. In your case I would imagine it would be what you are looking for with regards to using a buss comressor in parallel.
FWIW, I have three 8200A & one 8200 and the few times I had tech questions regarding routing, pinouts, etc, API tech were very prompt and helpful.
๐Ÿ“ Reply