Radar 2 Radarview - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radar 2 Radarview
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Radar 2 Radarview

Hi,

I have a chance to buy a Radar 2 at a good price. It's just the hardware and remote though, no meter bridge or 'Radarview' monitor.

What exactly is 'radarview', I mean is it anything more than a SVGA monitor?

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen ➑️
Hi,

I have a chance to buy a Radar 2 at a good price. It's just the hardware and remote though, no meter bridge or 'Radarview' monitor.

What exactly is 'radarview', I mean is it anything more than a SVGA monitor?

Thanks!
Not too familiar with Radar 2, but I believe that 'radarview' is a computer based remote app. Maybe check the iZ website/forum....or wait here. Used to be lots of Radar 2 users.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks Mike.

Had a look at the forum, not so busy as Gearslutz, reckon I'll wait here for something to come up.

Looks a bit like it's an obsolete product and stuff is getting hard to find...bit concerned about the discs too.

I should say I'm using an HD24 at present and looking to upgrade sound quality and user-friendliness, but wary about upgrading to new problems!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd look for a Radar 24; but that's just one guys opinion and I'm not spending the $.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So would I if I had the $
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RadarView is simply an output from the RADAR to a standard computer monitor. It shows all the operating parameters of the system, and supports all the editing capabilities, as limited as they are (compared to DAWS)

I would not have a RADAR without the Session Controller, which is one of the best things about this system. Intuitive, simple and straight forward tape like workflow.

I have a Radar 24. It's still supported by IZ to a certain degree. I agree with others that the RADAR 2 might be a little too long in the tooth, although the converters are still relatively amazing in and of themselves.

How do you intend to use it, and what price point are you looking at?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I was thinking of iZ's 'RNC' (Remote Network Control) which was a Java program to control Radar's over the net. Even if it exists and is supported I don't think it will work with Radar 2 as it was developed well into the Radar 24 years and you have to 'turn it on' in the software, be networked, etc.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
IIRC, the video is just standard VGA, and I believe has metering as well if the remote meter bridge is missing. RADAR II drives are limited to 16GB SCSI, and I remember they were pretty finicky about which makes and models would even format. 32GB can be used, but you lose the waveform viewing, makes editing a little tricky. I've only used the HD24 a few times, but I'm not sure you'll find the Otari software that much more user friendly. Editing just flat out sucks if you are used to DAWs, and interfacing digitally was a PITA, had to reconcile Sync source with Clock source, and it wouldn't store settings when you switched between Projects. Backups were on 8mm tape (slow to backup, slow to restore), don't miss that either.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks all, all my questions answered!
πŸ“ Reply