Take it from one to another... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Take it from one to another...
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Take it from one to another...

Okay,
I've searched and this topic doesn't seem like it's covered in any depth so....

Recently I've been using an Avalon AD2022 pre line out running into a couple of 1084's for the EQ, woah what fun heh

Now I know this is nothing new, but my question is who's doing a similar thing and with what pre combo?

Also, what situations are you applying this to ie., particular instrument or source?

Anyone care to share their combo and style
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No one?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm about to try this with ADL600 line out into Audient Black line in for adding the HMX distortion circuit (also, if it works well it would save me from having to get a patch bay for my ULN8). Audient Black has a -10 db line setting, so there are lots of variables in the gain staging. Can also run them in the other way around, as ADL has a -20 dB pad. Will report back on the results.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have been running the output of one my AML ez1073's into the line input of the other. (pair)

This has been my attenuator for whatever I am recording through the first pre. Gets that desired benefit on vocals for sure. I will be adding a pair of "missing link" to the chain this year.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great River into a Chandler TG channel is amazing. I used to do that with guitars every time.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar ➑️
I'm about to try this with ADL600 line out into Audient Black line in for adding the HMX distortion circuit (also, if it works well it would save me from having to get a patch bay for my ULN8). Audient Black has a -10 db line setting, so there are lots of variables in the gain staging. Can also run them in the other way around, as ADL has a -20 dB pad. Will report back on the results.
Hey Cathedral Guitar, please post samples when you hook this one up! Added tube goodness

@hasbeen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen ➑️
I have been running the output of one my AML ez1073's into the line input of the other. (pair)
That's inspired a thought; 1084 --> 1084 = pure saturation

Anyone else care to share?
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I tried ADL 600 into Audient Black recently, and did not like the result. I did make some clips, but the sound was smaller, still OK, but not worth doing. American Tube pre into British solid-state pre ends up giving you neither, when combined -- kind of like combining Italian food with Chinese food.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you asking if other people run the output of one mic pre into the input of another one and then that output of that into a 3rd mic pre for some type of saturation or distortion effect? I can't say that is common but there are no rules in recording and if it sounds good then it is. Some people here would question why you would use an Avalon mic pre when you have a 1084 (pre/eq) lying around, but that is a different discussion.
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi Jimikeperkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
Are you asking if other people run the output of one mic pre into the input of another one and then that output of that into a 3rd mic pre for some type of saturation or distortion effect?
No. I'm asking who runs the line out from 1 pre to another for effect, e.g, to use an EQ or compressor in another channel strip or simply to combine the tone of the 2 amps. Solid state --> tube; Transformerless --> Transformer etc....

Quote:
Some people here would question why you would use an Avalon mic pre when you have a 1084 (pre/eq) lying around, but that is a different discussion.
No one's questioned that here as of yet.
I think most people would 'get' my point. Neve's don't work for everything and you'd be surprised the tone you can get just passing the Avalon AD2022's output stage into a 1084. Try it and hear for yourself (oh, then share the results here).
There's nothing wrong with the Avalon. In fact, I had a 737 also, but sold that and kept the 2022 as, for me, it's way more versatile. Pair it up with the 1084 for the added depth and run some drums through it and you get the fast transient response and clarity of the 2022 combined with the richness of the Neve's transformers. Add to that the EQ (if required) and tweak away to your heart's desires. Just added versatility to your arsenal.

Quote:
...there are no rules in recording and if it sounds good then it is.
Exactly.

Would be great to hear of combinations of pre's that work well together in series and with what sources. The possibilities of tone shaping are endless.
πŸ“ Reply