Quantcast
Bbc am7/11 am7/13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bbc am7/11 am7/13
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bbc am7/11 am7/13

Hi, I'm a long time lurker - just registered - I was wondering if anyone else out there uses genuine am7/11 or 13 BBC line pre-amps?

We were lucky enough to get hold of 8 high gain and 12 low gain line pre-amps from the demolition of BBC Mancheater on Oxford road last year. We've been running the high gain pres mic pres through a focusrite and been getting great results.

I was interested if anyone else has any experience with them? The only ones I've seen advertised online dont look legit so I'm intrigued how rare there are and if anyone on here with more experience has used them?
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I also have some BBC AM7/13 modules i want to get modded for mic pre use.

Does anyone have any info/circuits to add full control of the gain?
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Used to have a pair of the pres racked up. They sounded very sweet indeed, but were also a bit noisy so I ended up selling them. Maybe I should have just overhauled them as it was likely only them being out of spec.
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
There would be a fair few of them around as they were almost 'obligatory' for many studio setups to provide a BUFFERED signal to feed other areas such that if the signal got shorted or corrupted elsewhere it would not mess up the studio signal.
They may not be the highest od quality as they were in the chain for FM radio broadcast (good enough for that) but not 'state of the art'.
Matt S
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
one more owner

Hey quick input here. Its been a while to wake this thread up. i got a rack of these. Did any of you guys manage to do any tests with them?
Attached Thumbnails
Bbc am7/11 am7/13-img_8949.jpg   Bbc am7/11 am7/13-img_8948.jpg   Bbc am7/11 am7/13-screen-shot-2019-02-05-17.04.35.jpg  
Old 28th March 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
am7/13 for colour

Hi all, this seems like the right time to be tackling a new housebound project or an old one revived.

I have a bunch of these also and some new found friends expertise to help. I was hoping to mod them for mic pres but am now thinking of just using them as a colouration tool by cranking the input / output transformers. and/or attenuating at the end of the chain or something, probably with Focusrite ISAs pre amps at the front and returning the signal via the inserts. Sound possible, adviseable? I am an enthusiastic numpty, love hearing from the experts. xx

Also I have previously seen a full schematic on the bbceng site but it seems to have disappeared, did anyone download it and if so be cool enough to send it to me or post it here,

thanks loads

Phil
Old 28th March 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanterLeroy ➑️
Hi, I'm a long time lurker - just registered - I was wondering if anyone else out there uses genuine am7/11 or 13 BBC line pre-amps?

We were lucky enough to get hold of 8 high gain and 12 low gain line pre-amps from the demolition of BBC Mancheater on Oxford road last year. We've been running the high gain pres mic pres through a focusrite and been getting great results.

I was interested if anyone else has any experience with them? The only ones I've seen advertised online dont look legit so I'm intrigued how rare there are and if anyone on here with more experience has used them?
Hiya, can I ask which focusrites you are using and what's the path? I couldn't quite tell from your description, thanks loads, Phil

Last edited by Philbop; 28th March 2020 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 28th March 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
They will appear to be noisy because they are. S/N is rated as 90dB which is rather mediocre in today's world however their designed use was as a buffer amplifier to send studio output from a mixing desk or tape machine etc through to a central technical area for transmission.
Tape machines and desks of that era would have noise figures a good 10dB or more worse than these line amplifiers thus the amps are adequate for original purpose.
Modding them as mic amps by replacing the input transformer perhaps, with one that has a higher step up ratio might produce a useable preamp but it would need some reengineering to get a lower noise figure. Lower noise transistors, altering biassing to minimise noise and so on.
If you want a Caddilac, don't start with a ford Fiesta.
Matt S
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…