Quantcast
Best options for a 32 channel Summing Box - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best options for a 32 channel Summing Box
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
8 huge transformers and great build quality! Thats´s were the sound comes from. Secret hint. iLIKE!
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
idk if this for everyone but i cannot recommend enough to monitor the used market. if youre good at it you might be in for some deals.
if you or a local tech are good with the soldering iron it might be a great deal actually.
Old 15th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➡️
Just curious, have you ever summed 32 channels before? What benefit or advantage do you think you will have over putting the 32 channels into 16 summed tracks? I have noticed a difference when summing 8 channels, and believe there is perhaps a little more separation and depth added with 16. However I am unclear if anything past 16 summing will really improve the sound. That is unless you want more channels for additional headroom and will actually push the signal hotter through the summing to obtain some other advantage.
more more more of all of the above..
Old 16th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use a Tonelux OTB16 with a Folcrom inserted into the aux input on the Tonelux.
I usually use the Folcrom for a drum bus thru a pair of MA5 and a bus compressor.
I only have 24 channels of DA so I'm only using 8 channels on the Folcrom and 16 on the Tonelux.
Old 16th February 2015
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+1 for a pair of JCF Levr (with the output transformers) with two Roll RMS216's
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know it's already been mentioned, but The Equinox is a sexy beast. Definitely what I'd go with if I got another box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
+1 for a pair of JCF Levr (with the output transformers) with two Roll RMS216's
I've heard you talk about this before, but can you tell me what separates the LEVR from a mic pre? and 1 pair for a pair of fulcrums? or 2 pairs? i.e., is each one stereo or mono?
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Levr is not a mic pre... it's a proprietary gain stage designed for use with the Folcrom (In API 500 series modules). It's circuitry is based on summing amps from 70's API large format consoles, I believe.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
A summing mixer and a "real" mixer are a very different workflow. this thread is about summing mixers.
True...but unless space is a huge issue...if you need that many channels I almost don't see the point in not tracking down a decent console instead simply because you'd have EQ's.
Old 17th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi ➡️
I've heard you talk about this before, but can you tell me what separates the LEVR from a mic pre? and 1 pair for a pair of fulcrums? or 2 pairs? i.e., is each one stereo or mono?
Good, reasonable questions.

The technical difference between the Levr and a mike preamp is the input impedance. The Levr has a very low (near zero) input impedance. This means that the signal through the Folcrom's summing resistors is converted from a voltage to a current, so the summing system (Folcrom plus Levrs) is converted from a voltage summing system into a current summing system. Current summing - also known as "virtual earth" summing - is what is used in nearly all other modern analog mixers. Its primary advantages are noise immunity in very large networks, and an improvement in the crosstalk specification (neither of which is objectionable in the Folcrom's normal voltage-summing mode). Preference for one summing method over the other is largely subjective.

You need two channels of amplifier to use with a Folcrom summing system. It doesn't matter if you use one Folcrom or two or three, they're typically linked so that combined they still have one stereo pair of outputs, which are then fed into a pair of (pre)amplifiers. The Levr is a single-channel 500-series module, so for a stereo pair you need two of them.

Hopefully these are good, reasonable answers. I designed the Folcrom but am not affiliated with the JCF Levr.
Old 18th March 2015 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi ➡️
Sorry, didn't see this response until Justin's excellent post bumped the thread. I am not as technically inclined as him to answer as eloquently as he has..I myself go by my ears and my feelings...and of course real world experience using this stuff. But anyway, to my ears the JCF LEVR's approach a result that feels effortless in every way. Like, compared to other mics amps [I got a few here...] they are very wide open sounding without being sterile.

Yes, these are single space, single channel units which are sold in pairs at $700 for Transformer-less and $800 for Transformer-output ones. Each pair of LEVR's will sum up to 48 Channels of RMS216's by connecting the two additional units directly to the front access panels of the two LEVR's.

I am using the Transformer output ones in my rig...and I love them. Because they are clean with a little bitta sumtin nice. Its a slight bit o heft..A little more 3D than the transformer-less ones which have a bit more drive and punch down the kick region. EVEN FASTER sounding. But...Really Good headroom, I think they are +28 headroom. About the same as a Dangerous Sum Box. But, this rig is INSANELY "pliable" sounding to me. Zero distortion basically. Its like colorful without being colored. I am adding all types of weighty boxes and it sucks them into the mix like they belong there. I never had a mud puddle nightmare with the LEVR's.

I can really hear what I am doing with EQ and processing. They are FAST. It allows me to sweep around super quick and change things without blinking. I can identify how everything blends right out of the gate. Its like your not mixing THRU something as much. No tinge or weight. Just tons of space to play with. So for me, since I have tons of cool gear with tons of weight and iron...I like a cleaner mixer. But I still like it to sound musical. Those Cinemag trannies are very nice here. But the space on the mix is hip. Overall, so much more "fluid" of a mixing experience. Effortless is the best way I can explain it...much like Josh's other units. I think he designed these summing amplifiers way back for people complaining of "overly saturated" 2-Mix Setups. They are people with TONS of transformers in the mix.

I hope this is of some assistance

peace
a.j.b

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 18th March 2015 at 02:20 AM..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
jesus guys -- thanks. i'm honored. one quick question, how would these compare to something like a low powered amp from Vintage Maker? I'm just trying to get a handle on low powered amps as opposed to mic pre's, cause I gather something happens when you amp something too much that sounds "less beautiful". That's just a guess, but here's the link.. may posterity forgive me for posting a link from ebay, I couldn't find it elsewhere: Best options for a 32 channel Summing BoxVintagemaker Portable Neumann Summing Amp and Line Amp 2x2 New | eBay
Old 21st March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
There is also the Funkyjunk industries 3202

Never used it but looks great,
I'm seriously considering to demo 1
📝 Reply