Focusrite Red 2 on the 2-buss - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Red 2 on the 2-buss
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Focusrite Red 2 on the 2-buss

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 2-buss EQ post my Smart C1. I used to use the Red 3 and man I loved the sonic imprint the transformer had on the mix, but I tend to enjoy the compression quality of the C1. Got me thinking about the Red 2.

I know mastering guys have/had a love-hate relationship with these because recall is impossible, general vibe was it sounded great on the other hand. I realise though I can't remember the last time I changed my 2-buss EQ settings, so it seems if I can put it in a set and forget config I'll probably be fine.

The other thing is the price on these things are mega cheap these days (couple just went on ebay between $1k-1.4)

Anyone out there using this thing on their stereo mix? Any feedback in a mix setting worth sharing?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes, and I absolutely LOVE it. The sonic imprint is glorious, and what it can do to the "air band" is magical. Of course it also has surgical precision on the midrange bands also, when needed.

A very underrated unit and a fantastic bargain. I may pick up another one or two since prices have fallen! The entire Red Line is absolutely brilliant.
Old 9th May 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Almost the same combination here. Smart C2 and a Red 2. The Red 2 has even input and output transformers, and gives a nice touch to the mixbuss even without eqing. And the Baxandall shelves are amazing.

Have to sell the smart and the red though, if anyone is interested, i'll put them up in the classifieds these days...
Old 12th May 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
the focusrite red 2 is prolly very subtle on the source and therefore great on a two bus in particular. Does it employ big, clunky trannies?
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have one sitting there but i tend to never use it, mostly because of the difficulty of matching L/R. I know, I know, "who cares?" Well, I care. Sonically I think it sounds great but I like to HPF my mix buss and the HPF on the red 2 doesn't have a choice that really works for that job.
๐Ÿ“ Reply