Quantcast
CL1B for Acoustic Guitar?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CL1B for Acoustic Guitar??
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
CL1B for Acoustic Guitar??

I was wondering if anyone had experience using the TT on Acoustic Guitar.. If so, tracking or mixing, soft or heavy compression etc.

Thanks !!
Old 26th January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Based on my (limited) experience with the CL1B, I can't for the life of me think it wouldn't be fantastic on acoustic. I record a fair bit of acoustic guitar and if I was doing a soft, intimate track, be it lightly strummed (say like a Ryan Adams style) or finger picked, it would be my first call if I had one. If I was dealing with a fast tempo, more aggressive acoustic rock / pop track, I'd probably want a 525 or my Little Devil first.

But if you have one, use it you lucky dog!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No. Not unless it's a high-string, or capoed above the 5th fret. the "energy" is about an octave higher than an LA2a and thus doesn't work the same.

I don't really know anyone who gets good results from standard tuning first position acoustic guitar applications involving a CL1b. Note: The CL1b is one of my favorite compressors, just not for this application.

Mileage WILL vary!
Old 26th January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting ^ Now I want to try a CL1B on acoustic more than ever! I think I'll arrange to borrow one
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The song I'm thinking of it for is a popish/hip hop strumming AC track. I ask because this is an important project and as of now, my only OB compressor is the CL1B. I'd love to utilize it but if it's not the proper application then I'm left with PlugIns.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Give it a try. I use the CL1B on finger picking and strumming acoustic all the time and allways happy with it!....prefer LA3a tho!
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL ➑️
The song I'm thinking of it for is a popish/hip hop strumming AC track. I ask because this is an important project and as of now, my only OB compressor is the CL1B. I'd love to utilize it but if it's not the proper application then I'm left with PlugIns.
Wait - so you already have one? I don't understand the point of this post then. Why not just spend 15 minutes and turn yours on, record some acoustic, and see how it sounds? It's not like it matters what we think; it's clearly going to be your own ears that make the decision as to whether it's right/wrong for the song. It just seems odd to post here instead of just turning the dang thing on and listening.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham ➑️
Wait - so you already have one? I don't understand the point of this post then. Why not just spend 15 minutes and turn yours on, record some acoustic, and see how it sounds? It's not like it matters what we think; it's clearly going to be your own ears that make the decision as to whether it's right/wrong for the song. It just seems odd to post here instead of just turning the dang thing on and listening.
agreed. hilarious.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not the one playing. I'm having a guitarist come in and I want to be prepared for the session, so I'm just asking if anybody has experience with tracking or mixing with it. I absolutely love it for tracking vocals...but just curious to hear other people's experiences with AG...that's all.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with seeking second opinions.....It does matter what others think, music is shared.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot ➑️
Absolutely nothing wrong with seeking second opinions.....It does matter what others think, music is shared.
Agreed. I'm always happy to read from and respond to ANYONE who doesn't share the "attitude"*.

OP asked an honest question and many of us answered, I hope I was helpful.

*The attitude Ward refers to here is the one where "if you don't have exactly the same opinion as I do, you must be an idiot".
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
CL1B is really great on acoustic guitar. My compressor of choice for a natural sound. If you are looking for a squashed acoustic sound the CL1B is less than desirable. I almost always track acoustics with the CL1B 2:1/3:1 medium attack n release...knocking of 2-3db. You cant go wrong.
Old 28th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Instead of using it in the standard insert application try it as a parallel to the acoustic. Use a little more aggressive settings than you normally would and mix it back in with the unprocessed signal.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you everyone for their experience and thank you for not having 'the attitude'. The purpose is to get an open dialog going about people's experiences using the TT on Acoustic Guitar...not sure why people have to bring attitude into it. Anywhooooo, keep it coming!

Much respect
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems like Tube-Tech is one of Steve Vai's choices for acoustic guitar:

one assumes he's talking about a Tube-Tech comp as he also mentions 1176

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8397951-post61.html thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthsAndRights ➑️
It's not my place to give away his secrets but I will tell you a favorite chain that has always been pleasing is API 312 / tube tech or 1176 / API 550A. But this stuff always changes from song to song and project to project. There's no permanent chain as we are always trying new and different equipment.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL ➑️
Thank you everyone for their experience and thank you for not having 'the attitude'. The purpose is to get an open dialog going about people's experiences using the TT on Acoustic Guitar...not sure why people have to bring attitude into it. Anywhooooo, keep it coming!

Much respect
Wait a minute - I'm not bringing "attitude" here. You asked a legit question but then later you added a post containing details that, let's be honest, made your original question weird/strange/silly. I simply acknowledged it.

Imagine how different it would've been if this is what you posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL
The song I'm thinking of it for is a popish/hip hop strumming AC track. I ask because this is an important project and as of now, my only OB compressor is the CL1B. I'd love to utilize it but if it's not the proper application then I'm left with PlugIns. And yes, I know it sounds weird that I'm telling that I own one and then asking opinions. I don't play guitar though so I can't really test it out in advance. I'm just trying to see what other people think about this before the session next week.
Nothing wrong with recognizing that you've created a weird anomaly and then explaining yourself in detail. It sometimes goes a lot way preventing miscommunication.

But you are, of course, welcome to call it "attitude" if it makes you feel better.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I am really interested in this question.
Great question. I used a ocl-2 for acoustics
Before I stupidly sold it. But now
Interested in the tube tech. I heard it yesterday
At the namm show and thought it sounded great.
Very open sounding.
Old 28th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
optical compressors are really nice for me on acoustic gtr.
sheer some attack, get some weight/plump'ish meat
I like the compressor to give me some polish
I've never had a bad experience with the Blue Tube Tech Stuff, it sounds great.
The Pendulum OCL2 rocks it, but sounds a little drier, more pure, less glassy
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wait a minute - I'm not bringing "attitude" here. You asked a legit question but then later you added a post containing details that, let's be honest, made your original question weird/strange/silly. I simply acknowledged it.

Imagine how different it would've been if this is what you posted:
Nothing wrong with recognizing that you've created a weird anomaly and then explaining yourself in detail. It sometimes goes a lot way preventing miscommunication.

But you are, of course, welcome to call it "attitude" if it makes you feel better.
Ok well I hear what you're saying. And I apologize if my original post wasn't as clear as you might have wanted it to be...although other people offered their experience without any problems. Nonetheless, I'd much rather this thread be about what it was intended to be about.

So what about you, my friend?

Any experience with the TT or any other optical compressor for AG?
πŸ“ Reply