How many Bricasti M7 do you use? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many Bricasti M7 do you use?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
I spoke to one of the Bricasti designers at a tradeshow about that. A modern MacPro is apparently not fast enough. It's not just about cpu-cycles but things like fast memory access and a million other things. Most of it over my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid ➡️
Forget the plug-in, I have no faith in plug-ins for something like this. Maybe one day, but then Casey would just make it ever more powerful. Bricasti, always a step ahead.

I'm using my M7 in analog old school way. I've never given it much thought doing it any other way. Is there any advantages to AES?

You would think that with Apple, and any other computer competing to have the latest intel chips, fast access memory/internal hardware bussing that they would have that type of 'deep' processing available. The Lexicon stuff runs well on an Intel Mac so why not the Bricasti.

Rob G..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sound files please?

Can someone please post a clip with & without the M-7 Bricasti unit. I would like to hear what all the rave is about. Maybe a drum kit or a vocal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just had a great day at the Chicago Recording Company shooting a video for GC Pro. We go through an entire live session using three M7s. We go from Dry to Wet using the M7s for the room and solo reverbs. I think it may answer some of your thoughts.

I will post here when I see it is up.

-Casey
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind ➡️
Just one I have it digital via AES and usually have it set up on a stereo aux track and use it parallel so I can if need be send an entire drum kit at individual levels for example, for a consistant room sound. If I am going to use it on more than one instrument and or vocals I just print the stem and move on.
This is exactly how I run mine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why do some of you have 2 units? why not just print it like the guy above? am i missing some obvious disadvantage here? please fill me in.
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red ➡️
why do some of you have 2 units? why not just print it like the guy above? am i missing some obvious disadvantage here? please fill me in.
The ability to tweak settings as a mix evolves plus the time it takes to actually print
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My situation is for my personal recordings so time is not an issue.
For a commercial studio it's logistics time and work flow. For example obviously once printed you can't change it, without going back and reprinting a new track with new settings. Also you can't for example hear how your drum room verb is going to sound with the vocal verb ect. until you print one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hate to hijack, but I'm just really curious...are units like the Eventide Eclipse even contenders nowadays for a studio like mine that might want to get into some decent outboard reverbs. I'd be using mine probably mostly on lead vocals. I'm sure the Bricasti is better, but is a first time outboard reverb buyer really need need to spend over $3k in order to get something that will be an improvement over plugins?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot ➡️
Can someone please post a clip with & without the M-7 Bricasti unit. I would like to hear what all the rave is about. Maybe a drum kit or a vocal.
Here is a quick vocal clip the first part is soloed with the M7 running the Sunset Chamber preset (with a bit more pre delay) the verb track volume set to - 24.5 db and alternately muting the verb

The second part is in song context with the verb track volume set to -24.5 then on the last phrase riding the verb volume up to - 20.5
Attached Files

Audio 1_03-01.wav (8.92 MB, 1252 views)

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
if you're a studio that has a machine room the remote is definitely worth it. The M7 have fans in them and are relatively noisy when they get warm. In our old place it didn't matter, but now that our control room is actually quiet it's a big deal.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We are currently sporting five M7M's with the M10
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam ➡️
We are currently sporting five M7M's with the M10
Winning
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Time is the main thing, but we still do quite a bit of tape so there is a track count issue as well.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
Hate to hijack, but I'm just really curious...are units like the Eventide Eclipse even contenders nowadays for a studio like mine that might want to get into some decent outboard reverbs. I'd be using mine probably mostly on lead vocals. I'm sure the Bricasti is better, but is a first time outboard reverb buyer really need need to spend over $3k in order to get something that will be an improvement over plugins?
I'm not sure I would go for an Eclipse although I haven't spent a lot of time with the reverbs (I tend to use it for effects like shimmery delays, chorus, etc). We have one M7 and I tend to use a lexicon PCM 92 in conjunction or a Princeton 2016. But I think an eclipse would be a nice second alternative especially given the beautiful stereo effects you can get out of it. I find it hard to believe it won't have quality verbs. You might have to tweak a bit more than the M7. One thing that's so nice about the bricasti is how easy it is to edit. Same with the 92. By the way, the TC R4000 is an amazing vocal reverb too, but I think it too is very pricey. Pricier than an eclipse.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory ➡️
We have one M7 and I tend to use a lexicon PCM 92 in conjunction or a Princeton 2016.
I have an M7 and an Eventide Orville to handle the more colorful stuff but I still find myself drawn to the 2016. I'm not sure if it would overlap too much with the M7 since it's more of a "clean" reverb but I still feel there's something interesting about it. Do you mind giving your opinion of the 2016 and how / if it fits in with the M7?

Thanks a bunch,
Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not sure I would go for an Eclipse although I haven't spent a lot of time with the reverbs (I tend to use it for effects like shimmery delays, chorus, etc). We have one M7 and I tend to use a lexicon PCM 92 in conjunction or a Princeton 2016. But I think an eclipse would be a nice second alternative especially given the beautiful stereo effects you can get out of it. I find it hard to believe it won't have quality verbs. You might have to tweak a bit more than the M7. One thing that's so nice about the bricasti is how easy it is to edit. Same with the 92. By the way, the TC R4000 is an amazing vocal reverb too, but I think it too is very pricey. Pricier than an eclipse.
Thanks for the reply. I'd really love a Bricasti, I'm just not there yet. I think the PCM92 might be my toy. I've heard similar things from others, not just you, that for effects, go eventide, and if you're looking for your first verb, stick with TC or Lexi. Can I get away with anything in the $1k-$1500 ballpark, or does good usable stuff really start at that $2k mark the wher PCM and Eventide live? Right now it seems like I'm in between a TC M3000 or PCM92...
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got our PCM 92 for $110 if I recall- and that was new. So you should be able to get one for under a grand used I'd think.

I think the 92 has great verbs and I really like the delays on Gtrs too (not so much vox because its sizzley but on Gtrs it's great). Of course I have to add the YMMV.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I got our PCM 92 for $110 if I recall- and that was new. So you should be able to get one for under a grand used I'd think.

I think the 92 has great verbs and I really like the delays on Gtrs too (not so much vox because its sizzley but on Gtrs it's great). Of course I have to add the YMMV.
Oops- I meant $1100 not 110
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oops- I meant $1100 not 110
Ya had me goin there...thnx for clarifying. That's actually still a good price, they show for $1800 new...you know anything about the M3000?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
Ya had me goin there...thnx for clarifying. That's actually still a good price, they show for $1800 new...you know anything about the M3000?
Sorry. Never used it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just one I have it digital via AES and usually have it set up on a stereo aux track and use it parallel so I can if need be send an entire drum kit at individual levels for example, for a consistant room sound. If I am going to use it on more than one instrument and or vocals I just print the stem and move on.
I do the same but use analog inputs. I have been trying to mix/match my Bricasti with my Superior Drummer Avatar room mics. Very difficult. I'll keep trying, but it may be much easier to use the Bricasti for all the individual drum mics and the overheads and skip the room mics.

I've found tweaking the Early/Reverb mix really useful on vocals. I need to get better at learning how to mix/match reverb and room mic sounds better. It is very difficult imo to get coherence using different reverbs and room sounds.
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is that demo of three M7s in context.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ml#post8742528

-Casey
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Nice!

I remember seeing 3 M7's in the monitoring rack for Lionel Ritchie in the Sportpaleis Antwerp last november..

Herwig
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey ➡️

-Casey
Awesome vid! That was some mind blowing information from Casey
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey ➡️

-Casey
Thanks for that Casey!
Sounds great indeed!!

Cheu
Old 22nd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For a commercial studio it's logistics time and work flow. For example obviously once printed you can't change it, without going back and reprinting a new track with new settings. Also you can't for example hear how your drum room verb is going to sound with the vocal verb ect. until you print one.

This is exactly the problem I have with my Bricasti. If you want to blend a Room reverb for a sense of distance of the listener to the instrument(s), a Plate for distance of the instrument to the back of a room, and a Hall for height, there is no way you can get an accurate sense of the blend without three M7's. So, you either guess and print, or you use the M7 for one and plugins for the other two.

I keep the Room until final mixdown and guess and print for the Plate and Hall, but it is not an ideal situation.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am about a week or so away from purchasing one. Has been on my to buy list for a long time.

$4500 where I am at so I wanted to be sure.
Wanted to ask though, anything else comes close to this unit?
What else is worth investigating you think.

I only need 1 really good hardware unit so I am prepared to spend decent on a good one, and reverb seems to be the missing piece in my little set up.
Old 23rd August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've gotten used to printing reverb all the time. Just one here, and I want it on so many things!!!
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just one. Would have more if I could.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just 1 i rather reach for better reverbs for the character department but what it does it does well its already got its place in the history books
Now if there only was a plugin that controls it
📝 Reply