Event Opal vs Focal Twin 6BE vs PMC TB2SA ii - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Event Opal vs Focal Twin 6BE vs PMC TB2SA ii
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Event Opal vs Focal Twin 6BE vs PMC TB2SA ii

**please ignore the thread in low-end, I was advised to move it here**

I'll finally be moving to a bigger house soon, which will entail a bucket of GAS including a dedicated and treated studio space.

The main part of this I want to get right for me is the choice of monitor speakers and I've narrowed it down to these three.

I make everything from dance to classical score, the former of which gives me a niggling feeling the PMC's may be a little small. I definitely don't want a sub.

This isn't a which is best question, rather a question about the thoughts from you guys that have been able to compare the differences between these monitors, and what your own preferences are.

It's unlikely I'll be able to audition all three at the same time.

Thanks
Old 25th January 2013
ECM
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
All three monitors are so so different. It's impossible to say which you would like the most.

The Opals do however have allot more presence in the lower sub frequencies (30's Hz) than the other two. You won't need a sub with the Opals, may feel need one with the other two if you want to hear in the mid/high 30's better.

The twins have a reputation of being more mid forward, and the low end is not great compared to the Opals when you go below 40Hz.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
With the PMC TB2S-aii you will need a sub in my experience. They will put out 40 Hz but not at all like a sub.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Does kmr not have all those in to auditon together? They might be able to arrange it for you.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
Does kmr not have all those in to auditon together? They might be able to arrange it for you.
They probably will, but I doubt very much I'll be able to make the trip up there by the time I need the monitors.

I don't want to focus too much on the sub aspect of things though as the dance stuff is only a small percentage of what I'll be doing.

I guess my real quest is for detail, and I honestly believe any of them will probably provide all the bass I ever need.

I think
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The PMC TB2 would be my recommendation, although i haven't used the opals. I made the jump from the focal twins to the PMCs and could not be happier.

If you do get a chance to audition them side by side, just be aware that the positioning in the room of these two speakers is very different to achieve the best from each monitor. In my experience the front ported focal twins were easier to set up and to find the best spot in the room for them. The PMCs for me, took a lot more experimenting and moving around to get them to integrate properly, I can only infer that this is due to the transmission line design, with that said the difference wasn't subtle and was well worth the effort.

I still have the focal twins in my B room, but found that the PMCs showed me distortion and imbalances more precisely and have been easier to work on for long sessions. I do use the PMCs with a sub.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 ➑️
The PMC TB2 would be my recommendation, although i haven't used the opals. I made the jump from the focal twins to the PMCs and could not be happier.

If you do get a chance to audition them side by side, just be aware that the positioning in the room of these two speakers is very different to achieve the best from each monitor. In my experience the front ported focal twins were easier to set up and to find the best spot in the room for them. The PMCs for me, took a lot more experimenting and moving around to get them to integrate properly, I can only infer that this is due to the transmission line design, with that said the difference wasn't subtle and was well worth the effort.

I still have the focal twins in my B room, but found that the PMCs showed me distortion and imbalances more precisely and have been easier to work on for long sessions. I do use the PMCs with a sub.

Interesting that you feel the move from Twins to TB2s is a significant upgrade. I would have thought they'd be closer matched.

One of the reasons I'm not going to great lengths to audition them is exactly the reasons you've described. Unless the store has them set up exactly as they need to be, there's little point in trying to compare I feel.

I'm also veering towards the Opals if a sub is really necessary for the other options. I don't want the complication and expense of a sub, and the room although treated probably still won't be enough to accurately utilise a sub in the mix as well.

As always it's a compromise, but perhaps the ultimate detail of the PMC's won't be enough without a proper low end that can be provided by the larger Opals. I doubt very much that any blaming of tools could be made using Opals in a partially treated room!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️
They probably will, but I doubt very much I'll be able to make the trip up there by the time I need the monitors.

I don't want to focus too much on the sub aspect of things though as the dance stuff is only a small percentage of what I'll be doing.

I guess my real quest is for detail, and I honestly believe any of them will probably provide all the bass I ever need.

I think
Talk to them and have them courier the lot over to yours for testing in your room. They are very good like that. Only way you'll find out what's what. What I did and they were very helpful indeed. And add some PSI A21m's to your list while you're there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Talk to them and have them courier the lot over to yours for testing in your room. They are very good like that. Only way you'll find out what's what. What I did and they were very helpful indeed. And add some PSI A21m's to your list while you're there.
Oh reeeeally!

That's a great option, and I did want to buy some other bits and pieces from them as well. Thanks for that.

And sadly the PSI's are just way outside my pricerange. I know another dude that's been trying to tempt me with them as well
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh reeeeally!

That's a great option, and I did want to buy some other bits and pieces from them as well. Thanks for that.

And sadly the PSI's are just way outside my pricerange. I know another dude that's been trying to tempt me with them as well
In your price range are the A17's then, looking at the list. For me, I would rather have those than any others on your list, even though the bass doesn't go deep down. The way those things do detail and balance in the most unaggressive, papery way is just amazing, relaxing and very effective.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In your price range are the A17's then, looking at the list. For me, I would rather have those than any others on your list, even though the bass doesn't go deep down. The way those things do detail and balance in the most unaggressive, papery way is just amazing, relaxing and very effective.
Done deal, I'll certainly add those to the list as well.

Perhaps the trade off between detail and bayz is my main criteria here.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Done deal, I'll certainly add those to the list as well.

Perhaps the trade off between detail and bayz is my main criteria here.
You might prefer the Opals heft and clangy metal top, but the pure, papery PSI thing sure is a sweetness. Find out in your own space.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So you're saying I should get both?

Aren't you?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol.....no, just get the ones you prefer. I am always curious what that is, given we all like different monitors for different reasons.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah at this cost you really owe it to yourself to make the day trip to audition for such an investment. The differences are significant enough even if positioned differently in the auditioning room to notice. Plus you can always ask them to place in same spot, kmr would probably do that for you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol.....no, just get the ones you prefer. I am always curious what that is, given we all like different monitors for different reasons.
Yeah I know, I do like to allow people to sway myself into GAS though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
Yeah at this cost you really owe it to yourself to make the day trip to audition for such an investment. The differences are significant enough even if positioned differently in the auditioning room to notice. Plus you can always ask them to place in same spot, kmr would probably do that for you.
It's just time, but I think I'll have to do it. As usual, all the work offers come in at the same time as the move.

I may have to pick up a Sub Phatty at the same time.......
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the Opals, so am biased towards them. They are great monitors. You can definitely get mixes very right the first time on them. And especially... you can get very familiar with getting the low end just exactly how you like it, once you get really familiar with them. Very easy to hear low end differences in everything you listen to on them. To me, very easy to hear differences in many aspects of various recordings I listen to... including level, frequency, compression and reverb (space).

But if I was in your position... I'd maybe listen to a few in some stores. Then do what I think a previous poster suggested. If you're gonna spend a fair amount of money on studio upgrades... do it all with a good online seller (such as Vintage King, Mercenary, etc.). And get them to send you your top 3 sets you're interested in to set up in your studio, and buy whatever you like best. I don't think it's that far fetched to get a good seller to do that. Certainly be worth it in the end. And be a whole helluva lotta fun to listen to all the differences in the room you'll actually be using... not to mention broadening your experience and knowledge. I'd definitely try that if I was spending a chunk of money on studio set up or upgrades again (like I used to do... anymore, I just get bits and pieces it seems).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➑️
I have the Opals, so am biased towards them. They are great monitors. You can definitely get mixes very right the first time on them. And especially... you can get very familiar with getting the low end just exactly how you like it, once you get really familiar with them. Very easy to hear low end differences in everything you listen to on them. To me, very easy to hear differences in many aspects of various recordings I listen to... including level, frequency, compression and reverb (space).

But if I was in your position... I'd maybe listen to a few in some stores. Then do what I think a previous poster suggested. If you're gonna spend a fair amount of money on studio upgrades... do it all with a good online seller (such as Vintage King, Mercenary, etc.). And get them to send you your top 3 sets you're interested in to set up in your studio, and buy whatever you like best. I don't think it's that far fetched to get a good seller to do that. Certainly be worth it in the end. And be a whole helluva lotta fun to listen to all the differences in the room you'll actually be using... not to mention broadening your experience and knowledge. I'd definitely try that if I was spending a chunk of money on studio set up or upgrades again (like I used to do... anymore, I just get bits and pieces it seems).

It was probably foolish to think of buying them blind tbh. It's just a matter of timing right now, and I'll just have to find the time.

I really had no idea that a store would 'lend' me a couple of sets of monitors so I could choose for myself though. That would be ace.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It was probably foolish to think of buying them blind tbh. It's just a matter of timing right now, and I'll just have to find the time.

I really had no idea that a store would 'lend' me a couple of sets of monitors so I could choose for myself though. That would be ace.
Definitely do not buy blind. Sure way to stay on the 'looking for my ideal monitors' path. Instead you could come off that road and get used to grinning every time you fire up, secure in the knowledge you hit the nail on the head as hard as subjectively possible. It's a good place, I recommend it. Whichever speaker gets you there.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, I was flying in the face of my own advice a bit I guess.

Not sure if I trust myself in a shop with money in the bank at the same time though
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 ➑️

This would do very well in this thread, so if you wish, feel free to share your experiences :D

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-speakers.html
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Tehlord,

Have you looked at the new PMC twotwo.6? This is PMC's brand new fully active offering and certainly worth considering if TB2S-AII are on your list.

All the best,
Ruairi
PMC USA
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi ➑️
Tehlord,

Have you looked at the new PMC twotwo.6? This is PMC's brand new fully active offering and certainly worth considering if TB2S-AII are on your list.

All the best,
Ruairi
PMC USA
Way outside my budget sadly!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

23 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Even better than PSI A17, save money and make the step to the PSI A21M, the most transparent monitors I have ever used, they help you to take the right decision, they tell you the truth....
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure they are quite lovely, and a pal who owns a pair has recommended them as well but like the 226's they're way, way outside my realistic budget. At nearly twice the price of the ones I'm looking at they're not even worth considering for me.

I've been mixing on $500 monitors in an untreated space for the last 3-4 years, so I'm sure that the move to a treated space with the monitors I'm looking at will be more than enough.

For now
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
When you get the chosen pairs in to demo, don't just listen to stuff, do a little bit of mixing on each and play it back through your old speakers to see in what direction the new contenders guide you, and also importantly, how quickly. That will remove any doubt which ones are going to be your new guiding friends.

Also, a little story...someone on this forum persuaded me to audition the A21m's although I was equally convinced I would not be able to afford them anyway, as you are now. It turns out to have been one of the best things I have done and I managed to find them for a price much closer to what A17's should cost. As it happens I would have gladly gotten them second hand if need be. Just a thought.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can all shutup now

I know what you're saying, but Β£4.5k on an (at best) semi professional setup is ridiculous. Even if I had the money (which I do ) I just can't justify it.

If I make enough money this year, then it's a definite possibility that I may look at another upgrade, but it'd have to be a pretty significant income from music for me to look at a set of TB2s (for example) to really want the upgrade.

I have to draw the line somewhere you bunch of pimps
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can all shutup now

I know what you're saying, but Β£4.5k on an (at best) semi professional setup is ridiculous. Even if I had the money (which I do ) I just can't justify it.

If I make enough money this year, then it's a definite possibility that I may look at another upgrade, but it'd have to be a pretty significant income from music for me to look at a set of TB2s (for example) to really want the upgrade.

I have to draw the line somewhere you bunch of pimps
Once in that kind of price bracket I think it's not so much about the monitor itself as finding the one that works best for YOU, thus the importance of listening as many alternatives as you can or better still try them in your room and mix with them. It takes a bit of time and effort but could well save you a few years of struggling and resale expenses.
A.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Opals - very good
Focals - too bright
PMC's - never heard'em
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i tried all 3 and if i had to pick one , it would be the opal ...

the dynamic depth is way better in the opal versus the focals ....

the pmc : i was shoked how "bad they sounded.....i also tried diffrent placement ....

starnge feeling in basses ...surely due to the design , don't know ...i loved the AML and waiting to try the two two 6

same here and for now it's between S2X and opal or psi 21M if i sterch the budget (even S3X)

i might retry the TB2S just to check some more placement but ....dammn i was really surprised ...
πŸ“ Reply