Quantcast
Event Opal vs Focal Twin 6BE vs PMC TB2SA ii - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Event Opal vs Focal Twin 6BE vs PMC TB2SA ii
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The TB2s certainly require more focus on room placement. I recently acquired a pair and didn't personally have much trouble with placement as my room is already treated but found the best placement was right up close to the front wall. I have 6" bass traps directly behind them.

From my understanding the new 22 series are less of a hassle with placement due to the transmission line port being on the front of the speaker rather than the rear on the TB2s.

Love the TB2s to bits!
Old 2nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty sold on the Opals at this point.

I listened to some a couple of weeks ago and they were wonderful.

The new space I'm moving to will still be a compromise. A treated compromise but by no means perfect.

I really need to buy and get busy as I've got a ton of work that I need to do on them so messing about with positioning isn't really what I want to be doing.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This just goes to show you that the subjective preference of each person is different.

Opals: deeper bass with mids that are even with high's. Great choice

Twins: Good bass just not as strong as the Opals; forward mids so you can hear clearly the important mid area better than the other two. You don't need something like Yamaha NS10's if you have the Twins. With a 2 1/2 way speaker set up, it provides better separation. Some don't like the tweeter character though you can reduce the high end with its built in EQ.

PMC: Very clear sound, makes the other two sound more colored. You can hear deeper in the mix with reverb tails and fine detail. More neutral sound, similar to the Nuemann monitors character. Bass is decent but not as strong as the other two. Placement near walls and bass traps will help bring out a little more bass. I choose the PMC's and am really happy with my choice.

Not one monitor will meet all your needs, but each one will meet most of them.
Old 3rd March 2013
OTA
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
As you can see in my pic, it's Opals here for the last two/three years.

Chosen between them and the f-twins.

Headroom for days = probably the best aspect of these.

For two-ways, they compete with three-ways.

Most sounds carry a fair bit of 'weight'.

They might lack a tad of that 3D sparkle. As in, you mix inside the speakers, alot of the time. Not mix inside the audible sphere. If ya know what I mean!!

Very utilitarian, heavy and sturdy, with tonnes of juice.

However, I still use a second hi-fi system for translation checks, and am adding Avantones too. There was (as with any new system I'll wager) a considerable "Ok, let's get acquainted" period. Some translations were utter failures, but I'll also wager that it was (for the most part) user error!

I'm not affiliated in any way, yet I have a review in the press section of their site - under A Davidson...
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have the opals and a studio I frequent has the twins.

Personally if I only had one set of good monitors, I would (as I did), choose the Opals. I use them in conjunction with NS10s (to really hone in on the low-mids/mids.)

The opals have really well defined bass, TONS of transient detail in the top end. Compared to the NS10s they sound 3D and very extended in both high and low frequencies. My only complaint with them is that until you learn them the low-mid area can be a bit of a mystery (and I've used them in 2 professionally treated studios, along with my home studio.) Along with the above considerations, they sound GREAT to clients. Great mixes really pop out of them with beautiful depth.

The twins are quite nice, but to me they are a touch too bright, and without the focal sub I personally wouldn't find them extremely useful for mixing any subbass oriented music.

I have no experience with the PMCs.

When I was monitor shopping my 2nd choice was the dynaudio BM15As... but I got a great deal on the Opals and they sounded great in my room.

Good luck with your hunt!
Old 3rd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've also got a pair of Reveal 601A's, K271's and K701's that I can use for referencing on, plus I'll be getting some Avantones as well just for a bit of mix checking.

About 25% of my work will involve working with EDM tracks so bass extension is pretty important, and the idea that the Opals will mean I won't require a sub appeals to me greatly.

I mean if I can't mix on those, I should give up
Old 4th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➑️
I've also got a pair of Reveal 601A's, K271's and K701's that I can use for referencing on, plus I'll be getting some Avantones as well just for a bit of mix checking.

About 25% of my work will involve working with EDM tracks so bass extension is pretty important, and the idea that the Opals will mean I won't require a sub appeals to me greatly.

I mean if I can't mix on those, I should give up
I have the Twins with the Focal sub. The Twins are amazing with the sub.

The Opals are obviously great also.
πŸ“ Reply