Quantcast
Biffy Clyro - Opposites Drum Sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Biffy Clyro - Opposites Drum Sound
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Biffy Clyro - Opposites Drum Sound

Just listened to Biffy's new album "Opposites" twice through. Very good album, a different sound to what I was expecting. Vocals are drenched in reverb and the tracks have been VERY well produced, not like the raw Biffy sound I'm used to. Everything sits well in the mixes I think.

One thing I did focus on though was the drums. They sound a LOT better than previous Biffy albums, in fact they sound fantastic imo. They sound so punchy and tight imo.

Wondering if anyone knew anything about the recording of this album? Are they partially triggered or something? Would be nice to know what has changed. Anything about the recording/mixing would be interesting to know
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also I hope that all makes sense, I'm very hungover right now >.<
Old 25th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 ➑️
Just listened to Biffy's new album "Opposites" twice through. Very good album, a different sound to what I was expecting. Vocals are drenched in reverb and the tracks have been VERY well produced, not like the raw Biffy sound I'm used to. Everything sits well in the mixes I think.

One thing I did focus on though was the drums. They sound a LOT better than previous Biffy albums, in fact they sound fantastic imo. They sound so punchy and tight imo.

Wondering if anyone knew anything about the recording of this album? Are they partially triggered or something? Would be nice to know what has changed. Anything about the recording/mixing would be interesting to know
Interesting...I've not heard this yet, I should get round to it...for my money the drums on "Puzzle" and "revolutions" are way too triggered and mechanical, even for the style...punchy and tight is exactly how I'd describe them, in fact TOO punchy and tight - even the cymbals sound sample replaced at times ("captain" being a noticeable example). It has been said that Andy Wallace doesn't use replacement when mixing...in that case GGGarth most definitely did!

Are you a fan of earlier Biffy stuff? again, the Chris Sheldon-produced tracks are on my list of stuff to check out.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
here's a place to start:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ffy-clyro.html
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Interesting...I've not heard this yet, I should get round to it...for my money the drums on "Puzzle" and "revolutions" are way too triggered and mechanical, even for the style...punchy and tight is exactly how I'd describe them, in fact TOO punchy and tight - even the cymbals sound sample replaced at times ("captain" being a noticeable example). It has been said that Andy Wallace doesn't use replacement when mixing...in that case GGGarth most definitely did!

Are you a fan of earlier Biffy stuff? again, the Chris Sheldon-produced tracks are on my list of stuff to check out.
I am a big fan of their older stuff, especially Puzzle (one of my favourite albums). I totally get what you're saying about some of their older stuff being triggered, DEFINITELY seems like it on "The Captain" anyway after a quick listen. In their older stuff however I personally feel like there isn't a lot of room for the drums to breath in the mix, I just never noticed how much until I heard a few tracks of their new album.

Can't wait to pick up a physical copy on Monday.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 ➑️
I am a big fan of their older stuff, especially Puzzle (one of my favourite albums). I totally get what you're saying about some of their older stuff being triggered, DEFINITELY seems like it on "The Captain" anyway after a quick listen.
The entirety of Puzzle and revolutions are triggered. Sometimes it's a little clumsy, sometimes it's done quite well. All obviously triggered though - listen to the kick drums as well.

I'd call the "older stuff" pre-Puzzle - I think this is the first time they worked with GGGarth? Chris Sheldon also uses triggers, but more as a blend than outright replacement. to my ears, the recent albums are replacement more than reinforcement - but this may well have been done at the production stage.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
The entirety of Puzzle and revolutions are triggered. Sometimes it's a little clumsy, sometimes it's done quite well. All obviously triggered though - listen to the kick drums as well.

I'd call the "older stuff" pre-Puzzle - I think this is the first time they worked with GGGarth? Chris Sheldon also uses triggers, but more as a blend than outright replacement. to my ears, the recent albums are replacement more than reinforcement - but this may well have been done at the production stage.
Shocking!

I like pre-puzzle stuff as well although it's not produced as well to my ears.
Old 5th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Since puzzle there are making of dvds of their albums. The one of "opposites" barely shows studio footage as opposed to the mo's of revolutions an puzzle. But i remember a scene at the beginning, where the band is pointing out different kits for the songs. Also i've seen some coles and telefunken on the set. The triggered parts are obvious, but their still tastfully blend to the natural kit. for this kind of music very well done! The whole album was done in three different studios, and in the black chandeller thread it was said, that for this song the drums has been rerecorded. That in mind i don't think that there was a kind of reproducable standard approach.
As a hardcore biffy fan, i totally dig the mixture of the new album. The songs are well placed between the old and new biff. The mixes sound phenomenal, great dynamics, nicely produced, some cool sounds and a vibe that matches the songs and artwork. Love to see the three guys living the dream
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The DVD which comes with the album is ace. Three guys struggling through like the rest of us, being creative and working hard. A great watch.

I think the drum tracks were cut early and in a small time window and on what looks like a Neve VR? Lots of old 8072 neves later on and mixed on an SSL 4k.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Massive Fan of Chris Sheldon's Work..
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've worked with GGGarth a couple of times and he didn't use triggers/ sound replacement at all. All just Very Very well recorded and edited before been sent to 2" tape n back to pt. Thats not to say he didn't on this but I very much doubt it tbh
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey guys. I engineered and mixed the new record. Most drum tracks were recorded at The Village in studio A on a classic Neve filled with 1081's. We tracked a few in the giant auditorium upstairs. The building was originally a Masonic Temple and they put tie-lines from the big auditorium to studio D, which has a Neve 88R. One song, called "Little Hospitals" was tracked in Studio B, which also has a 88R. You can see some pics here:

Village Studios β€” Professional Audio Recording Studios

We re-tracked 2 songs on drums during the mix stage at Pulse Recording just to get a different sound.

Drums were all recorded to 2". RMG911 at +5/185. The drums in the mix are all real sounds. The only thing I would occasionally augment is the ambience. Studio A is pretty small so I couldn't get much room ambience. I would sometimes use a bit of a room sound sample that I made which sounds better to me than reverb. None of the drums were replaced. We had Jerry Johnson as a drum tech and he was fantastic. Great drums, great drummer, great room, great console, great mics.... you get the picture.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great work man. I salute you.
Old 7th February 2013

🎧 15 years
Yeah I can attest to no trigger or samples in mixing. I had the awesome opportunity to sit in for a couple of day with Ryan while he mixed. Watching Ryan do his thing is a thing of beauty. He's such a pro and so good with the inner relational stuff with the band, such a natural.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louderock ➑️
Hey guys. I engineered and mixed the new record. Most drum tracks were recorded at The Village in studio A on a classic Neve filled with 1081's. We tracked a few in the giant auditorium upstairs. The building was originally a Masonic Temple and they put tie-lines from the big auditorium to studio D, which has a Neve 88R. One song, called "Little Hospitals" was tracked in Studio B, which also has a 88R. You can see some pics here:

Village Studios β€” Professional Audio Recording Studios

We re-tracked 2 songs on drums during the mix stage at Pulse Recording just to get a different sound.

Drums were all recorded to 2". RMG911 at +5/185. The drums in the mix are all real sounds. The only thing I would occasionally augment is the ambience. Studio A is pretty small so I couldn't get much room ambience. I would sometimes use a bit of a room sound sample that I made which sounds better to me than reverb. None of the drums were replaced. We had Jerry Johnson as a drum tech and he was fantastic. Great drums, great drummer, great room, great console, great mics.... you get the picture.
Great work! Love the sound, must have been a blast working on this.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PS Yes the drums are nicely organic and non-overprocessed, but the dirt guitars are super!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow... the drum sound on Black Chandelier knocks me out. If you'd have asked me before I read this thread, I'd have said it was a CLA mix and a definite snare sample. Unbelievable work!
πŸ“ Reply