Quantcast
FOCAL Twin6 Purchase - Feedback Please - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FOCAL Twin6 Purchase - Feedback Please
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FOCAL Twin6 Purchase - Feedback Please

Ultimately heres my question: Are there any other speakers in the price range of the Twins I should look at that you personally would rather buy? Here's the rest of my post to shed a light on where I'm at if that would effect your answer.

Hello,

I did some searches for the Twins and found some useful threads. I found that threads from many years ago had almost all positive comments about these speakers. But more recent threads seem to be less positive and referring to the "hype" that came along with these.

I'm not a professional engineer. I have been at this for a while though as far as writing/recording/basic mixing goes. I've had a low end pair of M-Audios for 6+ years. Recently as I've been getting more in to sound design on analog synths, drum machines, and so on I've realized the importance of having great monitors to be able to find those sounds with. And I do want to become a better engineer in time.

I don't know about monitors and different companies very well. I'm considering the Twins for my studio based on what people have told me. Of course soon I will take a trip the the store and listen in person.

My room is not treated. Maybe someday it will be but I live in an apartment and it's just not a possibility at this time. I'm not looking to finish my mix either. I'm not willing to sacrifice the time it would take from writing and recording to become a truly skilled engineer. I'm o:k and I want to get it far along but it will go to a professional to finish the last 10%. But someday I will have a treated room. So I'd rather just make a solid purchase now as opposed to getting something for $2000 and then in a few years dropping another $3600. I'd rather just go for it now.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Call up Vintage King Audio, Mercenary or Atlas and have them Send you the Twins and Genelec's.....or Adams and see which ones you like the best. Return the other monitors.

DONE

By the way you can buy some GIK panels that you put on stands in your apartment. It will make a huge difference in the response of any monitor you buy and it will only be about $300.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's been a series of threads dissing K&H/Neumann and Focal that I consider apocryphal
A.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are what seems to be an endless choice of studio monitors today at various price points and level of needs. But across the board FOCAL is really an industry-leader and innovator in what they offer. Personally speaking I think they make some of the finest products money can buy. I was turned onto FOCAL several years ago by a colleague. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by several sets of FOCAL monitors daily, along with NUMEROUS other brands and models. I see the faces of those when they listen to the various selection, I go to their studios to help them with their gear, etc. Not knowing you personally, your room, your music, needs, etc.... I can say that no matter what, FOCAL's are definitely worth the money, the only question is what's the right model :-)

Okay, the room is critical to any set of monitors one buys. You can have the best monitors in the world but if that room isn't treated you're not going to get the true benefit from them. I understand your reasons for not having a treated room but just wanted to drive that point home so that you truly DO understand. However buying now what you won't have to re-purchase several years down the road makes sense as well.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I don't suggest the Twins in an untreated room.

If you cannot treat your room properly, go fo a pair of CMS 50 or 65, they have a useful room management, they sound beautiful and have plenty of detail.

otherwise you risk wasting your money.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted fe72b38
For what it's worth I spent two weeks with the Twins and two weeks with the 0300's running off an Avocet.

It's all highly subjective, but I went on a simple fact, something I had as a reference from playing mixes in the outside world on a huge range of speakers and headphones.

I was using Superior Drummer 1, the Sonar kit, which I know for a fact needs a couple of dB around about 10K adding to the OH's, thing is on the Twins the OH's sounded bright and appeared to need no top end adding .... bad sign straight away for me!

On the 0300's the OH's sounded like they need a couple of dB at 10K.
Plus the 0300 a the most fatigue free monitors I've had the pleasure off so far within my budget.

I bought the 0300's.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➑️
For what it's worth I spent two weeks with the Twins and two weeks with the 0300's running off an Avocet.

It's all highly subjective, but I went on a simple fact, something I had as a reference from playing mixes in the outside world on a huge range of speakers and headphones.

I was using Superior Drummer 1, the Sonar kit, which I know for a fact needs a couple of dB around about 10K adding to the OH's, thing is on the Twins the OH's sounded bright and appeared to need no top end adding .... bad sign straight away for me!

Plus the 0300 a the most fatigue free monitors I've had the pleasure off so far within my budget.

I bought the 0300's.
Just remember that monitors will sound different in every room. There is also a treble and bass knob on most monitors so you can adjust the sound of them to your room.

If you don't get acoustic panels (which we all recommend) get the Focal CMS 65 s.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️
Just remember that monitors will sound different in every room. There is also a treble and bass knob on most monitors so you can adjust the sound of them to your room.

If you don't get acoustic panels (which we all recommend) get the Focal CMS 65 s.
My room is treated of course :-)

The point to me was, I don't want to start reaching around the back of a monitor to adjust it to be flat. I want "flat" to be it's native setting so to speak.

I want my music to have character not my monitors!

As I said, it's all very subjective suff.

I'm happy with the 0300's .... I think there's a new model out now badged as Neumans these days.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World ➑️

I don't understand this logic---if you don't treat a room, then buy these instead. The reality is no matter what monitors one has having the room treated is VERY important. The original poster didn't say he wasn't going to treat the room, just his current location he's not able to. Well even in an apartment there are things one can do---but should that be a reason to do what he clearly said he did NOT want to do (to have to re-purchase this later when he's in a better place). Mixing is mixing whether you're in a professional room, a garage converted to a studio, an upstairs bedroom, or an apartment. Whether you have $50,000 monitors or $500 monitors, the room doesn't know nor does it care. So even moving to the CMS65's (which are great monitors) doesn't change the fact that there will still be issues IN the room. As long as he understands this there's no issue....
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Put the twins vertical with the bass driver on the bottom and you'll be amazed at how good the twins are! What is cool about the twins is that with each placement they offer a totally different sound!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons ➑️
I don't understand this logic---if you don't treat a room, then buy these instead. The reality is no matter what monitors one has having the room treated is VERY important. The original poster didn't say he wasn't going to treat the room, just his current location he's not able to. Well even in an apartment there are things one can do---but should that be a reason to do what he clearly said he did NOT want to do (to have to re-purchase this later when he's in a better place). Mixing is mixing whether you're in a professional room, a garage converted to a studio, an upstairs bedroom, or an apartment. Whether you have $50,000 monitors or $500 monitors, the room doesn't know nor does it care. So even moving to the CMS65's (which are great monitors) doesn't change the fact that there will still be issues IN the room. As long as he understands this there's no issue....
The Twins have more bass. So you will have more issues with standing waves in the room. So I recommended a monitor with less bass to decrease the issue he will have in his room.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I bought the 0300's.
Whatever works for you! The twins are def not bright! People who say they are bright heard them in a bad room or never heard them at all! Probably had bad placement and didn't know what the hell they were doing!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Brad you don't work at Sweetwater no-more?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGobe ➑️
Whatever works for you! The twins are def not bright! People who say they are bright heard them in a bad room or never heard them at all! Probably had bad placement and didn't know what the hell they were doing!
This backs up something I've said and stood by my entire career....JUST LISTENING TO MONITORS DOESN'T TELL YOU THEIR ACCURACY. The problem is that when you're listening to a speaker, all you're going to hear is what THAT song sounds like through those speakers. When you're looking to purchase home theater speakers, speakers for live sound, etc....it's about WHAT does it sound like, what makes you go "yeah, that's niiiiice", what gives the best bass response, the most gain without sounding harsh, etc. But with monitors it's about ACCURACY. When you're listening to tracks, you're listening to a mix someone has already created based on what they heard in their room. The ONLY way to accurately understand what a studio monitor is or is not doing is to do a mix on them to where you like the sound of what's going on, take that mix and burn a CD, go play it in your car, another stereo system, etc. Whatever gives you the BEST results on those outside systems, THAT's the best choice.

Several years ago I took about $50,000 into my personal studio over the course of two months to do this very test. I did NO reference mixing, only mixed on the monitors to what sounded best to me. I was shocked to find the results of some of the monitors. I had the following:

ADAM S2A, S2.5A, and S3A
GENELEC 8030 and 8040
JBL LSR6328P and LSR6325P with the 12" Sub
FOCAL TWIN's and SOLO 6 (along with the 11" sub in and out)
EVENT OPAL's
and a few other sets.

But the reality is---we have to hear them first, it's like buying a car without ever sitting in the driver's seat. That tells you how it drives, but doesn't show you how it performs when you have to go from 75mph to 55mph in less than a second heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Brad you don't work at Sweetwater no-more?
Nope! Moved to Atlanta a few years ago.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons ➑️
This backs up something I've said and stood by my entire career....JUST LISTENING TO MONITORS DOESN'T TELL YOU THEIR ACCURACY. The problem is that when you're listening to a speaker, all you're going to hear is what THAT song sounds like through those speakers. When you're looking to purchase home theater speakers, speakers for live sound, etc....it's about WHAT does it sound like, what makes you go "yeah, that's niiiiice", what gives the best bass response, the most gain without sounding harsh, etc. But with monitors it's about ACCURACY. When you're listening to tracks, you're listening to a mix someone has already created based on what they heard in their room. The ONLY way to accurately understand what a studio monitor is or is not doing is to do a mix on them to where you like the sound of what's going on, take that mix and burn a CD, go play it in your car, another stereo system, etc. Whatever gives you the BEST results on those outside systems, THAT's the best choice.

Several years ago I took about $50,000 into my personal studio over the course of two months to do this very test. I did NO reference mixing, only mixed on the monitors to what sounded best to me. I was shocked to find the results of some of the monitors. I had the following:

ADAM S2A, S2.5A, and S3A
GENELEC 8030 and 8040
JBL LSR6328P and LSR6325P with the 12" Sub
FOCAL TWIN's and SOLO 6 (along with the 11" sub in and out)
EVENT OPAL's
and a few other sets.

But the reality is---we have to hear them first, it's like buying a car without ever sitting in the driver's seat. That tells you how it drives, but doesn't show you how it performs when you have to go from 75mph to 55mph in less than a second heh
I agree with what you said. However when you have a home studio with no acoustic treatment, you don't treat the setup the same way you would a pro studio. With that being said, I would said, get several monitors and mix with them. Then see which monitors gave you the best mix when you test them on several sources. That is a more accurate test compared to my other post about getting THAT sound you like.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
People who say they are bright heard them in a bad room or never heard them at all! Probably had bad placement and didn't know what the hell they were doing!
Well as none of the above apply to me, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I thought they were bright.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well as none of the above apply to me, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I thought they were bright.
Fair enough!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

I've owned them for years, when Greg UBK brought them by for me to check out, I had a mix I had done the day before still up on the console. We connected the speakers and I heard everything that was wrong with my mix.
I bought them then and there. Since owning them my mastering engineers have commented on how little eqing they need to do. I think that pretty much says it all. But monitors are a personal thing you should check out everything you can afford and figure out what's best, and you should do it in your own environment
if you can.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez ➑️
I don't suggest the Twins in an untreated room.

If you cannot treat your room properly, go fo a pair of CMS 50 or 65, they have a useful room management, they sound beautiful and have plenty of detail.

otherwise you risk wasting your money.
F**k that. Get the best monitors you can afford. You can always treat your room later. Treating a room is important but it's emphasized way too much on this forum. I put up blankets on my walls - cost $10. Bass and standing wave problem solved. Carry on.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well a big thank you to all of you. I think for sure I will look in to a simple treatment of my room. If I can drop under $1000 and not have to do much/any damage to the walls or apartment itself then I will do this. Yet another thing I have no clue on. Looks like I'll be visiting that forum next. :-)

The speaker issue does seem to be a difficult one being that there are so many factors involved. It sounds like you'd have to get very lucky to just get it right the first time. I will definitely be doing a lot of research over the next few weeks.

Thanks again everyone!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman ➑️
F**k that. Get the best monitors you can afford. You can always treat your room later. Treating a room is important but it's emphasized way too much on this forum. I put up blankets on my walls - cost $10. Bass and standing wave problem solved. Carry on.
I must say i kinda agree with you! I hung thick nice looking deep ripple curtains behind my monitors and my sound is awesome!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I must say i kinda agree with you! I hung thick nice looking deep ripple curtains behind my monitors and my sound is awesome!
Nice!

I'm actually in the same position as the OP. I am thinking of going for the Focal Twins. The new KH 310s look nice, but aren't they much more expensive than the twins?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice!

I'm actually in the same position as the OP. I am thinking of going for the Focal Twins. The new KH 310s look nice, but aren't they much more expensive than the twins?
I have the twins use them in vertical position and they sweet! Look around for small dealers they give the bests deals! I got my twins for $2800 brand new!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
bass and standing wave problem solved - with blankets? hmmmm.....
Old 23rd January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Must be some dope ass magic blankets
Like the one I wrap around my computer to make it warmer
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono ➑️
bass and standing wave problem solved - with blankets? hmmmm.....
Yep...stranger things have happened

Rickglobe, where did you get your twins? That's a great price!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yep...stranger things have happened

Rickglobe, where did you get your twins? That's a great price!
Look for small dealers and negotiate a price! Tell them your interest in buying lots of gear and that your starting with monitors! If they think your going to be buying a lot from them they will give you great deals!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Must be some dope ass magic blankets
Like the one I wrap around my computer to make it warmer
**** man, shouldna spent all this money building a room - coulda got me some blankies!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono ➑️
**** man, shouldna spent all this money building a room - coulda got me some blankies!
You got a nice studio!
πŸ“ Reply