Quantcast
FOCAL Twin6 Purchase - Feedback Please - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FOCAL Twin6 Purchase - Feedback Please
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Do not buy Focals.They're too bright.Check Out K+H O300 or Event Opal.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGobe ➑️
Look for small dealers and negotiate a price! Tell them your interest in buying lots of gear and that your starting with monitors! If they think your going to be buying a lot from them they will give you great deals!
Thanks! Will try that.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman ➑️
F**k that. Get the best monitors you can afford. You can always treat your room later. Treating a room is important but it's emphasized way too much on this forum. I put up blankets on my walls - cost $10. Bass and standing wave problem solved. Carry on.
Of course.
In fact I just spent 3000€ on acoustic treatment alone because I am an idiot.

I should have put that money on speakers so that now instead of enjoying a pair of Twins + Sub6 in my studio I would use a pair of SM9s in my cellar with salami hanging from all over the ceiling. That is great room treatment!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez ➑️
Of course.
In fact I just spent 3000€ on acoustic treatment alone because I am an idiot.

I should have put that money on speakers so that now instead of enjoying a pair of Twins + Sub6 in my studio I would use a pair of SM9s in my cellar with salami hanging from all over the ceiling. That is great room treatment!
Prob would of been better getting the sm9s! I mean you prob would be getting all kinds of standing waves and problems but hey you would of had the SM9s!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Whatever works for you! The twins are def not bright! People who say they are bright heard them in a bad room or never heard them at all! Probably had bad placement and didn't know what the hell they were doing!
Indeed !

I shudder to think about the room somebody who thinks the Twins are bright is listening in. I also shudder to think of any monitor that is flatter sounding than the Twins !

The Twins are the flattest sounding set of monitors I have out of 6 different pro level sets; they are actually ruler flat IME.

It's really funny because on GS there's a crowd that swears the Twins are too bright and the other crowd that swears they are too forgiving. To me this basically proves that many of these people are amateurs who are blaming a set of monitors for their lack of ability and/or resources ($10k minimum IMAO) to put together a decent room.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 ➑️
Indeed !

I shudder to think about the room somebody who thinks the Twins are bright is listening in. I also shudder to think of any monitor that is flatter sounding than the Twins !

The Twins are the flattest sounding set of monitors I have out of 6 different pro level sets; they are actually ruler flat IME.
I love that they don't sound pretty! Well they do if the mix was done right! I use them vertical with the bass on the bottom and when i want to be critical i flip the switch so the midrange is right at my ear to hear whats going on there. That's what i love about them is you can switch from vertical - horizontal, midrange switch up - down. it's like having 5 sets of different monitors.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought the Twins were absurrrrrrdly bright, until I left them running for a day, and came back to them, once the burn in was done, it was a COMPLETELY different tone.

If you need a good price on those, hit me up...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 ➑️
Indeed !

It's really funny because on GS there's a crowd that swears the Twins are too bright and the other crowd that swears they are too forgiving. To me this basically proves that many of these people are amateurs who are blaming a set of monitors for their lack of ability and/or resources ($10k minimum IMAO) to put together a decent room.

Oh yeah.All the people on GS are idiots.Luckily you came here and explained us that a lot of people who consider Focals too bright (and TRUST ME they are A LOT) are amateurs that don't have acoustic treatment.I know at least 3 top notch engineers who work in incredible studios that bought focal and they regret it!In comparison with KH O 300 for example,they are miles away in therms of flatness.But we are lucky that you told us the truth! Thank you,master!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Prob would of been better getting the sm9s! I mean you prob would be getting all kinds of standing waves and problems but hey you would of had the SM9s!!!
You don't listen through your speakers, you listen through your room....a great monitor with sharp image and tight bass in a bad sounding room would sound far worse than a cheaper speaker in a great room...of course you can't brag about your bass traps as much!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You don't listen through your speakers, you listen through your room....a great monitor with sharp image and tight bass in a bad sounding room would sound far worse than a cheaper speaker in a great room...of course you can't brag about your bass traps as much!
He said SM9! that doesn't apply to the SM9!
Of course you'd need black blankets to match colours or it won't work.
A.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was seriously thinking about getting Focal Twins but decided on getting PSI A21-M instead. I recommend you check them out, although they cost a little more. They are excellent monitors and I'm so happy with them. I didn't listen to the Twins but I listened to Solos in a local store, and they were quite nice. But I'm 100% sure it's possible to do excellent work on either one, once you get to know them.

I must say that I don't think you can really tell how good monitors are until you hear how your mixes translate, and that means a few weeks of work. Only listening at a local store and buying based on that is sort of like judging a book based on the cover. But that doesn't mean you can't do that! I personally didn't get to listen to my PSI A21-M before I bought them, so I had to rely on my intuition, the speakers reputation and make an educated guess. and that turned out great! :D
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I must hear those PSIs....everyone speaks highly of them .
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
In comparison with KH O 300 for example,they are miles away in terms of flatness.
I have to agree with this.

If I had to attribute the term "flatness" it would be to the 0300's .... the Twins are in no way a flat sounding speaker, just check out the threads from when they were first released, everyone is extolling the virtues of their forward mid-range.

I had the Twins in my treated room for two weeks (and I've been at this game for over 30 years) I trust my ears .... sure, the Twins can get the job done, once you get to know them and if your into that kind of presentation .... but flat they are not IMHO.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You got a nice studio!
thx!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
+1 !
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Put the twins vertical with the bass driver on the bottom and you'll be amazed at how good the twins are! What is cool about the twins is that with each placement they offer a totally different sound!
I totally agree with this. We have the Twins, Genelec 1030a, and NS10M and the Twins found their greatest placement (in our room) placed vertical and then selecting the low speaker to be on the bottom. I have not seen any other monitor that allows this much functionality and adjustment built into the processing on the back of the box.

People can learn to mix on really anything once you learn what it is you are listening to that is speaker and what is room. The leftover is the source. There is no perfect combination so play with a lot of different options if you can before spending a ton of money and find what works for you.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got them a few years ago and love them. The mids might be a little forward (subjective) as mixes in the beginning were low on mid-range, but i adjusted quickly to that. They're clear, I love that you can really hear the vocals, and most importantly they don't make anything sound better, in fact stuff may sound worse (subjective). But once everything sounds good on them, I know it will sound awesome elsewhere.

I do recommend the Sub6 if you do Hip-Hop, or maybe I just like more bass than the average person.
Old 2nd November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I never thought the focal twins are bright. I love mine I only need them and a pair of ultrasone headphones and I'm off.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really like my Solo's, would have to pay ALOT more to maybe get a little more... I'm very happy !
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Excelent monitors. A little mid-forward but very revealing sound. I used twins for 6 years, now sm9.

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr ➑️

I did some searches for the Twins and found some useful threads. I found that threads from many years ago had almost all positive comments about these speakers. But more recent threads seem to be less positive and referring to the "hype" that came along with these.
A common forum phenomenon. There's always a backlash eventually.

I'm still happy with the twins. I don't find them bright, or flattering. I'm still impressed with the translation.
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Twins

Just another vote for vertical positioning on the twins - they sounded the best to me as well this way. FYI - my take on the twins is that they sound best in a relatively bright and/or live room....they dip a bit at the crossover (2.6k?), and a little extra liveness on the walls helps them with this....absolutely brilliant at resolving the lower mids -200-850 or so - if your mixes or sounds are coming out a little muddy, they will help....
Old 10th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius ➑️
Oh yeah.All the people on GS are idiots.Luckily you came here and explained us that a lot of people who consider Focals too bright (and TRUST ME they are A LOT) are amateurs that don't have acoustic treatment.I know at least 3 top notch engineers who work in incredible studios that bought focal and they regret it!In comparison with KH O 300 for example,they are miles away in therms of flatness.But we are lucky that you told us the truth! Thank you,master!
Oh no, not another "I know a guy" opinion. Just come back, post a scanned receipt copy of your Focal Twin6BE's and then we can take your opinion at face value. Once these monitors are properly burned in and placed in a good acoustically treated room they are a great option. But if your just quoting heresay , no I don't TRUST YOU.
πŸ“ Reply