2 IN + 2 OUT world class AD/DA - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 IN + 2 OUT world class AD/DA
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
2 IN + 2 OUT world class AD/DA

Hi everyone!
i'm upgrading my project studio setup and i would appreciate you advices about the matter: I'm selling my MOTU 828 mk3 fw and i'm looking for a higher level Audio Interface - AD/DA converter. Previously i went for the 828 because it has a lot of I/O bot now i don't need all these I/O anymore! Now i just need a good, great, amazing, wolrd class AD/DA converter with 2 IN 2 OUT plus a separate monitor output for Yamaha HS80. Headphone output would be appreciated!!!
I don't want to spend a fortune, but, anyway, i want a good converter so all depend from the value for money!!!!
In first step i was thinking about an APOGEE DUET but as i can see on the web it doesn't have 4 simultaneous output, maybe i'm wrong....
Then i checked out also the APOGEE QUARTET but i don't need all these outputs, i mean, i want spend money for quality, NOT for the number of connections!
Then i found out the LINX HILO !!!!!!.....!!!!! i think it's great, it looks perfect for my needs but....i ask for your suggestion, advice and considerations.
Thank you!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

You're looking for one? Lynx hilo? Rosetta? SSL?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox ➑️
yeah some of them....i was wrong on post so i was modifying....
Old 22nd January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
High end?
JCF Latte is my fav, but it's a real character piece,
It's theme is about mating vintage inspired "master recorder" input and output electronics around pure AES/EBU Digital connectivity.
Old 22nd January 2013

🎧 10 years
I suspect there are very few in the world class category with headphone outs.

In the world class band my list would probably include:

UA 2192
Crane Song Hedd
Burl
JCF
maybe the Prism Orpheus?
(Leaving out the Lavry gold as its not a general purpose unit)
(I'm sure I've missed some)

In that list the only one likely to have headphone outs is the Prism.

If you take a small step down that opens up the options of units like the mytek or, if you use PT, the Omni.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
High end?
It's theme is about mating vintage inspired "master recorder" input and output electronics around pure AES/EBU Digital connectivity.
It looks great! but i don't need too much color in this grear, i want a good, powerful, clear sound from it, maybe a littl bit coloured but not so much characteristic....
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I suspect there are very few in the world class category with headphone outs.

In the world class band my list would probably include:

UA 2192
Crane Song Hedd
Burl
JCF
maybe the Prism Orpheus?
(Leaving out the Lavry gold as its not a general purpose unit)
(I'm sure I've missed some)

In that list the only one likely to have headphone outs is the Prism.

If you take a small step down that opens up the options of units like the mytek or, if you use PT, the Omni.
No forssell mada 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➑️
No forssell mada 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Havent come across it (told you I was sure I missed some - it's the 'unknown unknowns that will get ya every time!)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I need it especially for synth and instrument recording but i do it once for time, and not very often, or also for outboard processing some sounds from sequencer i want to give an "analog touch", so i need simultaneous out-in.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Prism Sound Orpheus is great but, as long as i don't need all these I/O, what about Prism Sound Lyra?????? does anyone of you know more about it??? i like that "desktop" format....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox ➑️
what you suggest from SSL? do you know more about HILO?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Havent come across it (told you I was sure I missed some - it's the 'unknown unknowns that will get ya every time!)
You really should look at that unit. It is absolutely STUNNING. I'm using a Rosetta 200 for now, but I plan on getting an MADA-2 for stereo mastering, and something else (Symphony?) for 5.1 surround...
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like my Hilo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
High end?

JCF Latte is the best sounding D/A A/D combo ever

The only D/A better is the jcf-da8v which Mixwell did a test with a while ago and the result was astounding, absolutely astounding, i'm saving up for both.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Supposedly the Hilo has a "world class" headphone amp. There's also the Symphony 2x6.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker ➑️
I really like my Hilo.
Good for you! tell me more! do you think is there a noticeable difference from a firewire interface?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggo ➑️
Good for you! tell me more! do you think is there a noticeable difference from a firewire interface?
I mean in latency terms
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 ➑️

The only D/A better is the jcf-da8v which Mixwell did a test with a while ago and the result was astounding, absolutely astounding, i'm saving up for both.
Did he put it up against the Forssell?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't compare to FireWire, but I can compare to PCI. The Hilo's USB connection contributes no more latency than I experienced with my PCI Lynx Two sound card. This is the easiest and most foolproof computer interface I have ever used. I thought I would have to stick with PCI, PCIe, or FireWire to get high quality, but the Hilo provides it via USB. Pretty cool.

There are some Hilo users who would like different features from the firmware. Myself, I think that they could have added more analog ins and outs and made it a more flexible tool. But, no matter what the limitations are on those fronts, the Hilo provides great 2 channel ADDA, an additional set of DA converters for a monitoring path, and a very nice headphone amp with its own converters.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah the Hilo is great. i've had a bunch of conversion over the past few years, and this has to be the best sounding. I need more I/O, so I use some Auroras..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanz ➑️
Supposedly the Hilo has a "world class" headphone amp. There's also the Symphony 2x6.
As i said, i like Apogee, great quality and it also has Thunderbolt connection and 2 headphone outputs. And it could be expanded anyway. It looks like something i've to think about seriously!!!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Someone has something to say about Prism Sound Lyra?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My Apologies to the OP, I had typed my post before he entered the "meat" into the subject heading. As it now seems there is some awesome discussion going on for his applications. I can recommend the Prism and Lynx, Apogee, Forssell Tech, Burl, Crane Song hardware as well. It is up to your preference/budget and requirements at this point. All are very good recommendations for their perspective designs, applications and sonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 ➑️

Yea, they are super special sounding. Can't wait to give Josh my money. I'm sold on the whole lot of dem things, [Latte, DA8v, AD8] and honestly anything Josh makes in the future. Anyway, that "test" was really not a "test", per say - any more than it was just Sean and myself fooling around at our old studio making music with what we had. We all heard the difference the DA8v makes right away. As soon as we connected it. We never doubted this beast though. Its obvious that the transformers are adding something to the signal. It is probably the most apparent difference I've ever heard in a DA converter. Color, tone. Thickness/Harmonics. Lots of organic weight and mass is added to the signal.

Its got a tube rectified power supply for the analog sections.

That day we were using all tube mic's, a RADAR Nyquist for ADC, Logic for the DAW, and a bunch of cool analog stuff on the back end of the JCF DA8v between a InnerTUBE Sumthang Summing Mixer. We were not trying to compare anything really. Actually, we were, to the stuff we had. But it was quite clear what was happening in the control room with this JCF hardware. And I recall we got really bored with comparing things, and started making music instead. After we geek'd out and aligned the DA8v to -18DBFS = 0VU. It was singing magic to me after that.

I would bet a stich load of money, that NO ONE, would report not hearing a difference [compared to any other DA converter] - with the DA8V. If that happened, I would be super surprised and, honestly really sad for that person. After those sessions, I had done a few sessions with this thing patched into the desk, and all the kids in the band turned around and looked at me funny, when I pulled the patch cords and let the RADAR's DA take over to the console. I re-patched the JCF and moved forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➑️
Did he put it up against the Forssell?
I have not, directly no. You could, but its Modern High Performance JFET OPamp design, versus old skool Transformer Discrete Master Recorder electronics, with some clever trickery in the AD, avoiding group delay/phase shift and overall nasty filtered sound. Truth is, you really need a reference DA along with the Latte, as the Playback side of the device is where all the color/character is. Its very smooth and calming with a DEEEEP reach in the bottom, and perfectly crafted high end that removes the Shrill Details of High Frequencies, to my ear. A blunting of all that is annoying. Its DMT section is a Configurable Line block that can do a bunch of things one way at a time. DA, Mic amps, or Reproduce the Output of a 2-track Head Stack. The AD side is very pure and "straight-wire" with very, very, very low latency. I think the Latte changes the game quite a bit, as a Master Stereo Recording/Playback Device, while DA8v is a back end mix enhancer. It is Eight Tube/Transformer Amplifier Blocks.
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Metric Halo ULN-2?
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love my Hilo. Great-sounding little unit and SO easy to use. USB for the win.
Old 3rd October 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So has anyone heard the Latte and the MADA-2 side by side? If so, which do you prefer and why?
Old 9th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➑️
So has anyone heard the Latte and the MADA-2 side by side? If so, which do you prefer and why?
I did not, but generally speaking MADA-2 is true to source leaving no doubts to its top class (compared to dcs, Prism, Lavry Gold and similar reference level converters).
The last thing I would like to achieve is 'enhancing' or 'pleasing' sonics of conversion stage, as substitution to 'as close as it can get' in pure, undistorted realism.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
1) Burl B2 Bomber ADC, AES into
2) Mytek 192 Black Mastering DSD DAC. Connects to DAW via FireWire.
$4k, no additional interface required. Add monitor controller and your done!
Old 9th October 2014 | Show parent
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
I did not, but generally speaking MADA-2 is true to source leaving no doubts to its top class (compared to dcs, Prism, Lavry Gold and similar reference level converters).
The last thing I would like to achieve is 'enhancing' or 'pleasing' sonics of conversion stage, as substitution to 'as close as it can get' in pure, undistorted realism.
How does the Antelope Eclipse compare to the Forssell and Burl?

Since Antelope is coming out with their Antelope Pure2 which is a stripped own version from the Eclipse (from what I understand), it would seem like a heavy contender to me!
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Not heard the forssell or Burl, but the eclipse sounds mega looks good too!

Great headphone amp.
πŸ“ Reply