Neve 8816/8804 with SSL X-Rack- Anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 8816/8804 with SSL X-Rack- Anyone?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Neve 8816/8804 with SSL X-Rack- Anyone?

Hi!

I'm curious who out there has built their own little summing console with the Neve 8816/8804 along with SSL X-Rack EQ's and comps???

I'm currently mixing hybrid with Pro Tools (and Harrison Mixbus) along with a Midas Venice F16 and some outboard gear. The main thing that keeps me from mixing on the console is recall. With something like the above mentioned setup, one could have total recall of mixing in the analog domain, aside from any outboard patched in. I still struggle to find that "perfect for me" mixing setup that allows analog workflow, with recall.

If anyone out there is currently using this setup, I'd love to hear how it works for you, as well as see any pics you have.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I decided to do away with the summing idea after much consideration.

I believe that with a good front end, great ad/da and some insert analogue and a master recorder is my ultimate goal.

You have to tweak individually settings on different sessions anyway.

Record your files ( wave, aiff ) onto your DAW with your best mic pre and analogue and mix down with some nice compressor, delay etc to your 2 buss and record onto master recorder like Korg mr 2000 1 bit .

8816 and 8804 give you recall via usb but you still have to move your settings, so its not like its total recall.

A few well known guys on this forum have said that the most important parts of your signal chain is your mic, pre, ad/da and a little outboard.
This is supposedly 95 percent of your system. Apparently and quoting Greg from UHBIK the rest is just the gravy or the icing.

No photos but I have 2 warm audio mic pres and Lynx Hilo as ad/da and a dbx 160 a compressor.

Nice starter system for me and will add to it as I get better at recording and mixing.

Sorry if not much help.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey thanks for the reply. I certainly do agree with you, that a great player, room, mic and front end is most important. Capturing wonderful sounds is what we all strive for.

Please know I'm not trying to debate the "sound" benefits (or lack of) with analog summing...nor am I looking for something to magically make all my mixes better. I personally don't really think there is a huge difference between mixing ITB, then just taking some stems of that ITB mix and running them through an analog summing mixer. I've done it, and can hear a difference, but not enough to justify the price of some of these boxes.

My interest is more to do with workflow, and improving the WAY that I'm able to mix with as little sacrifice as possible. Like I said, I have a handful of really nice outboard gear, and a Midas Venice F16 which sounds really good. I'm pretty happy with the sound, it's the workflow that can sometimes get in the way. I know I can always just mix ITB, but I really don't have much fun doing that, and can't get into it as much.

The Neve/SSL system I described does have total recall (I think you were thinking of INSTANT recall) which it does not have. But just knowing that a snapshot of my settings is instantly saved for me to replicate later, will make it much easier for me to jump between sessions when needed, and make it easier for me mentally to clear the board and all my gear and move on with a project.

But yes, I do agree with what you said. I'm just looking for a better workflow option for me in the future for mixing. I'd also be able to use it for tracking. Plus I'd love to mix with 16 SSL EQ's again, been along time since I've got to mix on an SSL (aside from Waves and Slate)... haha
Old 22nd January 2013
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So far i found that using the analogue eqs pushes me to use my ears more than my eyes.
And some years ago when i started my first xrack I felt that having hands on the knobs was more productive compared to the waves plugin.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac ➑️
So far i found that using the analogue eqs pushes me to use my ears more than my eyes.
And some years ago when i started my first xrack I felt that having hands on the knobs was more productive compared to the waves plugin.
I agree with this too. I find that I can take a very average analog eq, and sometimes get much better results, much quicker, than using a top notch software eq simply because it forces me to listen more.

It's been 4 years or so since I last mixed on a real SSL. From what I recall, mixes felt more powerful, almost as if they were levetating off the desk. Very nice feel while mixing. How would you compare the SSL waves to the SSL X-Rack eq's? Aside from just working better with real knobs, what kind of "feeling" does each give you? Can you tell a big difference? Also, do you find yourself using the recall quite a bit?

For example, I have an API 2500 hardware, and the Waves version. I haven't done a whole lot of A/B'ing back and forth, but I do enjoy the hardware more. Sounds better for most things, deeper, and is just funner.
Old 22nd January 2013
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For me it's hard to describe differences between the two eqs because the main difference comes from the approach to eqing.
I work faster with the analogue version i'm more focused about the sound but both sounds great. I have 6 black xrack eq and when they are gone on the most important elements of a mix i start using the software (waves or duende).

Unfortunally i neved had a single experience with a real ssl, but only with my 32 channels xrack summing but i guess that the architecture of the console will imprint a more distincive sound than a superanalogue "toy"! :-) despite the "toy" costumers are fully happy with my works.... That's the most important thing.
πŸ“ Reply