Quantcast
Anyone in Montreal have the Innertube mod for the U87? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone in Montreal have the Innertube mod for the U87?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone in Montreal have the Innertube mod for the U87?

Hi all Montrealers (or close neighbours),

I've been wanting to try the Innertube mod for the U87 for some time but don't know anyone in this town who has one. Anyone know of anyone who does?

Thanks.

Andrew... from Montreal évidemment.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
We have one. Albeit we are in the UK.
It's a GREAT kit. Totally transforms the U87. In comparison with a U67, it runs it very close. VERY.
Sounds much nicer than the stock 87.
Old 20th January 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
not really hearing a u67 vibe here personally...that is another kind of tone to my ear...but that said, mojo is entirely subjective. Its innerTUBE will no question have "tube tone"
The IT87 tube amp is putting your u87's capsule directly up to line level without the stock filter network, (using minimal circuitry)
It flys out the back fully naked and exposed,
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, Texas is a long way from Montreal, but I could not resist commenting on the InnerTube U87 mod. I have one that I have been using for about 4-5 months now and it's wonderful. It adds a lot of depth and clarity to the sound of the U87. I own several U87's, a vintage U77, and I have tested these against a U67 by recording several vocalists on all of the mics. The U67, the U77, and the Innertube U87 all sounded great but different from each other. The U67 picked up more chest voice, was warm and generally sounded great. The U77 sounded more like the U67 than the 87's but with slightly less warmth in the mids but the U77 had a better and more extended high end then the U67 or U87. The Innertube U87 was great, top shelf stuff, but different sounding than all of the stock Neumann mics. It seemed to be less processed sounding, really nice clear/warm tone but a different tone. It had some qualities of a C12 and an M49 in addition to a U67 and U87 but really did not sound exactly like any of those mics. But it's a great product. Any studio with a U87 could use one or two of these. I would think a Innertube U87, with it's increased depth, would sound amazing on a string section.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Get a demo sent from Vintage King?

I have a matched pair of IT modded U87's and LOVE THEM.

Incredible on vocals, acoustic guitars, drum overheads, anything that sounds good through a tube LDC. I have not had the opportunity to use a lot of the other mics that these are compared to, such as U47's, U67's, etc. but I would bet the house on them holding their own against anything.

I will end up living in a cardboard box, with these mics to keep me company, before I sell them.
📝 Reply