The perfect electric guitar mic - my search is over - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The perfect electric guitar mic - my search is over
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The perfect electric guitar mic - my search is over

After 30 years, I have found what is, for me anyway, the perfect mic for electric guitar -- the AEA KU4 through an RPQ pre. This thing has just blown me away. 12 to 18 inches from the cab, and you are done. Very forgiving on exact positioning. I am done. Kudos to Wes for a fabulous product.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralpen ➑️
After 30 years, I have found what is, for me anyway, the perfect mic for electric guitar -- the AEA KU4 through an RPQ pre. This thing has just blown me away. 12 to 18 inches from the cab, and you are done. Very forgiving on exact positioning. I am done. Kudos to Wes for a fabulous product.
Well, I'll have to do with my 57' which is $4K cheaper.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a coles 4038 sounds pretty damn nice in that posi too! (and 3k cheaper )
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hmmm...my mistake...I thought I was posting to the High End area...I'll be more careful next time

Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
hmmm...my mistake...I thought I was posting to the High End area...

Welcome to the High End
The AEA KU4 is one amazing BIG ribbon

Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Welcome to the High End
The AEA KU4 is one amazing BIG ribbon

Love it +1
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've come to the conclusion that I prefer ribbons for almost all electric guitar micing. The AEA 84, Cloud JRS-34P, and RCA-BK5 usually cover most of what I'm looking for
Old 21st January 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hello Astralpen, I'm wondering what kind of electric guitar sound we are talking here, because I've found that the type of microphone depends a lot on the type of sound, I mean, for really loud distorted guitars, I always find a dynamic microphone the perfect choice.
For my clean, or crunchy sounds, a Royer Ribbon its just perfect.
I really like the sound of my bassman 59 with a Coles ribbon mic.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➑️
Hello Astralpen, I'm wondering what kind of electric guitar sound we are talking here, because I've found that the type of microphone depends a lot on the type of sound, I mean, for really loud distorted guitars, I always find a dynamic microphone the perfect choice.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
I like to combine a carefully phased dynamic mic with a ribbon for metal guitar sound recording.
I do however prefer the speakers slightly power soaked so I don't stress the ribbon too much.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I felt the same way when I first tried a Beyer Dynamic 160 on a cab. Thought I found the holy grail, and would never do it any other way. Until I got a Coles 4038, then the 160 sounded very thin by comparison. Then one day while using a 4038 on 4x12 cab (2ft back) I found my self missing the edge of a dynamic microphone, re-enter the re-20. Be damned the holy grails, they will end up disappointing you eventually. :-)
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well my standard guitar cab mic setup is either a Coles 4040 or an AEA R84, carefully aligned with an SM57, and InnerTube Audio modded U87 as a room mic.

The two close mics go to Wunder PEQ-1R channels, with judicious use of EQ, and the room mic goes to a Daking preamp and into a Purple MC-77.

Adjust positions and blend to taste. Ain't got a bad guitar sound in quite a while!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm sure your set-up is very nice, and I would love to hear soundclip samples, please!!

Myself, I get the best results from a combination of two microphones on a cabinet that has 2, 3 or 4 speakers. A Royer 121 on one speaker, reverse side of the microphone which is brighter anyhow, about 12" back aimed at the edge of the dust cover straight on. A Senn 421 on the other, same position. Of course, an SM57 will work also but wants to be a little closer.

The combination of those two will provide a realistic representation of what you hear from the amp - with your own ears.

That being said, it sounds like you are achieving this with just ONE microphone, and that is indeed, very interesting.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sometimes the right speaker, the right amp and the right combo of Mic and pre are enough. A lot of guys swear by a sm57 and a Neve 1073, especially for rock.

Myself, I have never had such luck. It is always a combo a 57 with a Royer 122 or 57 with a 421..
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➑️

Best regards.

delcosmos.
I used it on a Larry Carleton, Robert Fripp and dimed tweed champ distortion sound. Worked perfectly for each. Three different guitars, three different amps: fleck arctic monkey through a 65 amps lil' Elvis, Les Paul through an Indigo McD and a tele custom through the tweed...
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I used it on a Larry Carleton, Robert Fripp and dimed tweed champ distortion sound. Worked perfectly for each. Three different guitars, three different amps: fleck arctic monkey through a 65 amps lil' Elvis, Les Paul through an Indigo McD and a tele custom through the tweed...
Nice!

I will try it.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
πŸ“ Reply