The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Proac Studio 100 vs. cheaper alternatives
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Proac Studio 100 vs. cheaper alternatives

Hello!

I am facing a dilemma concerning my choice of monitors at the moment:
As I am getting more and more mixing jobs in, I thought it was about time to get a new pair of speakers. I feel I have kind of outgrown my old KRK VXT6, as I have to go back to mixes too often because of bad translation to other systems and I am up for a serious upgrade.
I know and love the Proac Studio 100, but even though these are great (and affordable) speakers, they only seem to work with an equally good amplifier. As I only have about 1800£ to spend, I am not sure if there is any chance to make this happen.
I was having a look around with some other competitors on the used market like the Focal Twin and Adam's S2X, and sound wise I liked these speakers as well, even though they sound pretty different - the only problem is, that I don't know if my mixes will translate equally well as on the Proacs. In a better world I would just borrow the speakers from the nearest audio store, and mix a couple of songs to see how it works, but as I am quite far away from the next bigger store, and I am not planning on buying new, this is not an option.
My question is the following: Is there any chance to make the Proacs happen on my budget? Something like a cheap old amp that works at least alright with the Proacs, so I can upgrade the amplifier later on, when there is more money available? If not, would you go for a compromise like the Focal Twins? Saving money until i can afford to buy the Proacs AND a great sounding amp is not really an option, there is a lot of work right ahead of me, and I really want to do a great job - there is just not enough time to go back to every mix 5 times...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kris
Old 21st February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been using the Studio 100's with a Hypex amp...you can build a kit for under $400 USD.

Hypex Electronics BV - Home

Check out their webshop for pricing. The build is super easy. I've used the 180 watt modules with a switching mode power supply. Lots of good clean power perfect for mixing.

Cheers!
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Hypex would work great with the ProAcs...
📝 Reply