Quantcast
WAIT, New Pultecs!!??!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WAIT, New Pultecs!!??!!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WAIT, New Pultecs!!??!!

Am I missing something? How did I miss this?

Just got an email?

Pultec | Sweetwater.com
Old 19th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 ➡️
Am I missing something? How did I miss this?

Just got an email?

Pultec | Sweetwater.com
These have been around for a couple of years but the Sweetwater email brought a lot of attention. Search Pultec by "Last Post" and you'll find at least two other threads currently discussing this.

Here a couple of old threads going into some detail about the new Pultecs:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...retro-2a3.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/produ...-2011-nyc.html
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hehe been running them for over a year already. pulse techniques nailed it .. NAILED IT... get a matched pair for your 2bus, they had a discount when i bought them if you buy a matched pair..
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➡️
hehe been running them for over a year already. pulse techniques nailed it .. NAILED IT... get a matched pair for your 2bus, they had a discount when i bought them if you buy a matched pair..
Matched perfectly to "the original", but not to each other?

I'm just kidding, they look awesome!

Gustav
______
Build your own gear
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Kind of bull**** the price is so high...Retro Instruments has a stereo unit for the same price as one of Pulse's mono units...
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yea i demoed them against each other, different animal those retros.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➡️
Kind of bull**** the price is so high...Retro Instruments has a stereo unit for the same price as one of Pulse's mono units...
Actually the price is pretty much right on compared to how much they were back when they were originally released 50 years ago, adjusted for inflation.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Grossly over priced for a clone. And not even really an accurate one at that.
Expect it to tank taking the company with it within 18 months.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
Why don't you price out the parts, labour costs, business expenses, and profit margin, then get back to us?

Also, they're not clones, and the company has been around for quite a while.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What's not really accurate about these? As I understand it, they're pretty much spot on...
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo ➡️
What's not really accurate about these? As I understand it, they're pretty much spot on...
Apparently they're not "pretty much," they're identical.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
From their website:

n early 2000, when first considering a recreation of the Pultec design, Ph.D. Electrical Engineer and Materials Scientist Steve Jackson committed to faithfully recreate Eugene Shenk’s original Pultec with no compromise or “enhancement” of the original design. When it was impossible to source an original component, Steve painstakingly and meticulously conducted electrical, mechanical and chemical characterizations to precisely determine the original component’s specifications to build custom replacements. Thanks in part to numerous conversations with and guidance and encouragement from Eugene Shenk over the 10-year process, Steve finally achieved the goal of faithfully recreating one of the “Holy Grails” of professional recording equipment, the Pulse Techniques (Pultec) EQP-1A3 Program Equalizer.

I'm sure they are excellent, but it's about the same as Telefunken USA...
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
They may be pricey but I am most certainly saving for a pair of these beautiful units. From all reports they are every bit a pultec in sound, and then some.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
From their website:

n early 2000, when first considering a recreation of the Pultec design, Ph.D. Electrical Engineer and Materials Scientist Steve Jackson committed to faithfully recreate Eugene Shenk’s original Pultec with no compromise or “enhancement” of the original design. When it was impossible to source an original component, Steve painstakingly and meticulously conducted electrical, mechanical and chemical characterizations to precisely determine the original component’s specifications to build custom replacements. Thanks in part to numerous conversations with and guidance and encouragement from Eugene Shenk over the 10-year process, Steve finally achieved the goal of faithfully recreating one of the “Holy Grails” of professional recording equipment, the Pulse Techniques (Pultec) EQP-1A3 Program Equalizer.

If the company had never gone out of business, and kept making the same product, with the same parts, replacing discontinued components with modern equivalents that spec the same, any reasonable person would say,"Yeah it's the same product."

They might sound different than originals due to component aging, but if they're the same, they're the same.
QRS
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
blablabla
blablabla...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You have heard a Pulse unit compared to an original in the same room? If so, which model, as I'd like to make the same evaluation. The Pulse EQP-1A3s I have are stellar indeed.

Yes it is a clone, but I'd be genuinely curious to know what you consider to be inaccurate. Poorly maintained originals cost much more so it would seem that 'grossly overpriced' is directly relative to either how useful you find the Pulse units or what you find to be inaccurate.

I'd really appreciate any specifics you might share. Is there another clone you find more accurate and if so, in what way? I would find it much easier to understand if you prefer a different 'Pultec like' device for your work and therefore find the Pulse units overpriced. But inaccurate? Help me understand please.

Thanks,
Mike
Audio X
Quote:
You need to do a little more research bro....that's total nonsense.....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison ➡️
If the company had never gone out of business, and kept making the same product, with the same parts, replacing discontinued components with modern equivalents that spec the same, any reasonable person would say,"Yeah it's the same product."

They might sound different than originals due to component aging, but if they're the same, they're the same.
Agreed. Is, say, a current-production Les Paul not a Les Paul because it does not use the same cloth wiring and capacitors as a '50s original?

The fact they went out of their way to have components custom-fabricated to match the originals when the originals could no longer be sourced says a little something about just how accurate these are. I wouldn't call this a clone so much as a reissue- and more accurate than most companies' reissues, at that.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exactly.

Fenders 59 Bassman reissue is a completely different amp. Victoria's Bassman? With custom wound, to spec, transformers IS a Bassman.

Same is same.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From their website:

It's not like that at all. It's my understanding that before his passing, Eugene Shenk was involved with the project. In the very least, I've been told Pulse Techniques had his blessing and encouragement.

I've used many variations of Pultecs over the years, and I used a new pair of EQP-1S3s extensively last month. One word = incredible. What Steve accomplished here is just shy of a miracle. Give me a new Pultec over a 40 year old Pultec any day.

They are expensive, yes. But they are certainly not overpriced.

-C
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Plush, youre talking out of ...

the transformers have been reverse-engineered with unrivalled attention to detail. the built quality outclasses the the shadow hills mastering compressor by a long shot. i had a well-maintained original and a few clones (retro-different animal, cartec-does the pultec thing without the sound) side by side. NONE of the clones did the pultec thing, which is "just sounding right" - then there was the original and the pultec left. the pultec sounded the same. end of shootout.

i could have gotten real pultecs but for the 2 bus and for stereo treatment i want them matched, factory matched. aside from that i could get a european power supply, my pick of tubes and the best customer support you can get.

they used 6 pairs of pultecs over the last aerosmith record. go figure
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thank you for your comments and your mails.

Here in Chicago, vintage Pultecs are common and certainly form a valued part of the well equipped studio. They are regularly available for purchase here as the sad engineer monetizes his stash. He falsely concludes that a plug-in will do the same thing. They go for reasonable money when offered for sale.

So I am not new to these units.

More power to the new company selling the recreations. The design mang has clearly put blood, sweat and tears in to the re-do.

My point above was that the margins worked out in the new business relationship cause the new Pultec to enter the market at a high price point.

Perhaps enough customers will be attracted to the performance of the units to make it a worthwhile endeavor. Let's talk in a year.
Old 20th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Thats pretty much the only way to view it!
Audio X
Quote:

Here in Chicago, vintage Pultecs are common and certainly form a valued part of the well equipped studio. They are regularly available for purchase here as the sad engineer monetizes his stash. He falsely concludes that a plug-in will do the same thing. They go for reasonable money when offered for sale.
That says a lot about said engineers....

Quote:
So I am not new to these units.
When you say "these" units are you referring to newer Pulse or the Pultecs in general? It seems you are making sweeping generalizations based on other generalizations and not the actual newer Pulse Pultec...

Quote:

My point above was that the margins worked out in the new business relationship cause the new Pultec to enter the market at a high price point.
The prices are in line with any other great eqs.. See: GML, Sontec, Fearn...

Quote:
More power to the new company selling the recreations. The design mang has clearly put blood, sweat and tears in to the re-do.

Perhaps enough customers will be attracted to the performance of the units to make it a worthwhile endeavor. Let's talk in a year.
The Pulse Pultec EQP-1A3 has been out 4 years to the month. The company itself has been around much longer.. Here is a little background that explains how the original designer of the Pultec Eq was involved: About Us
(smileys all around)
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
*puts on flame suit*

How do they compare to the software clones?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

have you even tried them?
a couple years ago me and Greg Wells had a pair of fully serviced mint condition vintage units side by side with these units in his studio.
considering the vintage pair were selling on the used market for around 11k at the time and yes thats just getting silly for a pair of eq's.
getting that exact sound in a brand new built to the exact same specs as the original with a full warranty wasn't such a bad deal at 7k a pair.
sound wise-dead on..even a tad more focused in the hi's.
we both ordered pairs on the spot and I sold my pair of vintage EQh2's a while after,essentially paid for the new ones with a little left over.
they've been selling like hot cakes for a few years now..the company is doing just fine.
the units are a labor of love made by a small group of good people and head by a guy who spent a LOT of time getting the transformers just right..trust me I had heard a few versions of it over the developmental stage and he truly LABORED to get them right...probably just like a lot of the boutique gear makers we like out there, including you Flea peeps.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 20th January 2013 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: addition
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 ➡️
*puts on flame suit*

How do they compare to the software clones?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just have a home/project studio and I think the price is totally fair.

I've built my fair share of outboard, and know that good components cost money.

Would I like to pay under a grand each? Yeah. But I'm not going to complain because they're charging an appropriate amount to build these right, and still take some money home to put food on the table.

Guaranteed they're not getting rich.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison ➡️
You're clearly demonstrating something - but are suggesting the dried out leaky capacitors sound better that new ones?
It's electrical components not Scotch or wine - they DON'T get better with age.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
You're clearly demonstrating something - but are suggesting the dried out leaky capacitors sound better that new ones?
It's electrical components not Scotch or wine - they DON'T get better with age.
I didn't say that or imply that. All I'm saying is that the only difference between an original Pultec and a "new" one, as far as I can tell, is component aging, which make the two thing the same, just separated by some years.

IMO, components are components, and mojo is a myth.
📝 Reply