Quantcast
WAIT, New Pultecs!!??!! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WAIT, New Pultecs!!??!!
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
gear is cool's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
My point is that there ARE Pultecs available here at a moment's notice.
I'm glad you pointed out what your point was, cause I was confused at the inconsistency.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
My point is that there ARE Pultecs available here at a moment's notice. There are many for sale. These sellers are going out of business. Prices hover around the $1800-$2500 range.

Acolyte is a word that denotes an individual who is devoted to a cause, a movement, or a fetish item.
Please PM the contact info of these sellers.
Old 30th January 2013
  #63
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'll take four.
Old 30th January 2013
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No, YOU call me and I'll discuss it with you.
Old 30th January 2013
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What's to discuss? Either these sellers and their units/prices exist or they don't. Their loss if they do...

Synopsis: It is common knowledge, verifiable on eBay, that real vintage Pultec EQP-1A3s in good shape go for around $5k or more. It has also been shown verifiably that the new Pulse Techniques are virtually identical, but are new, under warranty, matchable, not likely to have issues anytime soon, and sell for roughly about what comparable new EQs go for.

They are on my short list. Even if I ran into deals such as Plush is describing, I would still consider paying the extra for a cleaner, more reliable unit from Pulse Techniques. At the more usual prices, they are a very sensible way to go for those in that market.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Bullseye's Avatar
Someone commented above that electrical components do not age like fine

wine etc.

I am wondering whether this is entirely the case. Fine wine not properly

maintained or stored will go bad or perish. Can this also be

the case with high grade electronics. If well maintained and properly cared

for can they improve with age. Can, for instance, a Pultec EQ mellow over

time a produce a pleasing tone that it did not have when it was new?
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
...If well maintained and properly cared for can they improve with age. Can, for instance, a Pultec EQ mellow over time a produce a pleasing tone that it did not have when it was new?
The key issue is what does "improve" mean - and whatever you mean by it, it's presumably highly subjective.

In terms of any objective measures, you can be pretty sure that the designers adjusted the implementation to sound as they intended as the piece shipped with *new* components, so against the design objective, any variance due to age, use or abuse (or anything else) would be a departure from spec and away from the design intent - and thus (by *that measure*) not an "improvement".

However if you happen to personally like the sound better when the sound of a unit is somewhat randomly "adjusted" by the deterioration of some components, then you could declare it "improved" according to your tastes and no one could disagree with you.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➑️
However if you happen to personally like the sound better when the sound of a unit is somewhat randomly "adjusted" by the deterioration of some components, then you could declare it "improved" according to your tastes and no one could disagree with you.
...and electrolytic capacitors definitely deteriorate and resistors can float out of spec as well... nothing good about either... not to mention tubes wearing out. Other than initial "burn in" and warm up, there's nothing good about aging components...
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Had a fully serviced old pair
Vs. Newer units:newer had more clarity and better stereo match.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #70
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For this kind of money, I give the lads at RETRO Instruments my cash for their 2A3 Dual Channel unit. It has a simply amazing sound, and those looking into the Expensive Pulse Clones here, might be well served by having a listen to the RETRO unit and getting extra value for the $$$$. Build quality is exceptional and sound is thick and beautiful. Sub Sonic Filters achieve three unique foot prints for the bottom end, and the extra HF peak selections bring it over the top.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
For this kind of money, I give the lads at RETRO Instruments my cash for their 2A3 Dual Channel unit. It has a simply amazing sound, and those looking into the Expensive Pulse Clones here, might be well served by having a listen to the RETRO unit and getting extra value for the $$$$. Build quality is exceptional and sound is thick and beautiful. Sub Sonic Filters achieve three unique foot prints for the bottom end, and the extra HF peak selections bring it over the top.
The Retro has already been mentioned, commended, and identified as different from the "real Pultec" and thus the new Pulse Techniques, here on GS in related threads. Worth mentioning again though, especially at its price...
Old 23rd March 2013
  #72
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey lemme ask
Does the difference between a RETRO or PULSE or MERCURY or an AMTEC, or a Vintage PULTEC make you any better at engineering?
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Hey lemme ask
Does the difference between a RETRO or PULSE or MERCURY or an AMTEC, or a Vintage PULTEC make you any better at engineering?
Not as such, but being able to *hear* the difference might! As might knowing which you prefer on which applications.

But besides, this is gearslutz, where subtle gear nuances are rightly the stuff of passionate 1,000-post threads.
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
  #74
Baz
Lives for gear
 
Baz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Hey lemme ask
Does the difference between a RETRO or PULSE or MERCURY or an AMTEC, or a Vintage PULTEC make you any better at engineering?
For a long time member of GS this response is a real surprise. Given this logic would apply to EVERY freekin post here on GS lol..Seriously, Adam, momentary lapse of reason?
Old 23rd March 2013
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am definitely wanting a pair of Pulse.....nothing else.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➑️
For a long time member of GS this response is a real surprise. Given this logic would apply to EVERY freekin post here on GS lol..Seriously, Adam, momentary lapse of reason?
Not to mention Adam's work precisely consists of offering consultation to clients that are specifically interested in those minute differences.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz ➑️
...Seriously, Adam, momentary lapse of reason?
Maybe that was the "30% beer" part of Adam's response profile!
Old 24th March 2013
  #78
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I bought a matched pair.
They sound as promised: like real Pultecs.
They will last forever.
A design that is more than fifty years old..better than anything else.
That's the antithese of planned obsolescence. Kind of an Ufo nowadays.
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➑️
Maybe that was the "30% beer" part of Adam's response profile!
or the 100% dealer who doesn't sell the Pulse... surprising really...

it is a bit weird that Sweetwater got an exclusive on them...
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #80
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh **** sorry doods! SORRY!!!

That last post was actually an email I was composing to my Grandma.

Damn, not sure how it got posted here?

Oh well, since then she responded with some insight and I re-patched the RETRO back into the chain, so it's all good now!!!

carry on!
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Croaker's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Oh **** sorry doods! SORRY!!!

That last post was actually an email I was composing to my Grandma.

Damn, not sure how it got posted here?

Oh well, since then she responded with some insight and I re-patched the RETRO back into the chain, so it's all good now!!!

carry on!
ROFL....
Old 25th March 2013
  #82
HLD
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
To get a little back on track. Have anyone compared these to the Tube-Tech PE1C? If so, how do they compare?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #83
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
anyone compared a Drip DIY build to the new pultecs ?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #84
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLD ➑️
To get a little back on track. Have anyone compared these to the Tube-Tech PE1C? If so, how do they compare?
I did.
TT's were not nearly as tight in the low end.
Also Hi's weren't as fine,smooth.
Much preferred the Pulse.
Guy who brought the TT pair for comparison listed them for sale a week later.
The TT's aren't horrible by any stretch, just the Pulses do it better IMO.
Old 25th March 2013
  #85
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
a retro is not even in the same solar system compared to those beats.
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #86
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
a retro is not even in the same solar system compared to those beats.
?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
a retro is not even in the same solar system compared to those beats.
But phat beats is what it's all about, yo!
Old 12th April 2013
  #88
Gear Head
 
Radiorockstar's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Could someone comment regarding the 1s3 vs the 1a3 with regard to not having 16k band on 1s3?

Also, I'm looking to purchase a pair with API output....if you are looking to sell.

I will be using the units both in tracking and on the mix bus, with mix bus use the priority in regards to which model I am to purchase.

Any comments and opinions from actual users very much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
  #89
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I would get in touch with Pulse Technique directly.

I think they do custom units..

So you could have 16K on the 1s3.
Old 16th April 2013 | Show parent
  #90
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any pictures of the inside of these units?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 17417
Avatar for embrionic
embrionic 12th October 2009
replies: 302 views: 77792
Avatar for Oldone
Oldone 26th April 2021
replies: 74 views: 14639
Avatar for Radiorockstar
Radiorockstar 12th April 2013
replies: 18 views: 887
Avatar for toledo3
toledo3 26th March 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump