Quantcast
Merging Horus - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging Horus
Old 18th January 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Merging Horus

Has anybody had experience with it? How would you rate the the preamp as well as the conversion? I´m looking forward to hearing opinions!
Old 8th March 2013
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo1004es ➡️
Has anybody had experience with it? How would you rate the the preamp as well as the conversion? I´m looking forward to hearing opinions!
I have listened to the new Merging Horus. It's terrific!! Especially the AD conversion and mic pre's. Very clean and detailed. You can hear EVERY detail in the recording. And the automation is insane. It's so quick and reliable.
I am also very interested in the newly announced DAD AX32 converter/mic pre system. Should be even better than the Horus. Does anybody have any experience with the DAD AX32?
Old 8th March 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin ➡️
I have listened to the new Merging Horus. It's terrific!! Especially the AD conversion and mic pre's. Very clean and detailed. You can hear EVERY detail in the recording. And the automation is insane. It's so quick and reliable.
I am also very interested in the newly announced DAD AX32 converter/mic pre system. Should be even better than the Horus. Does anybody have any experience with the DAD AX32?
Not yet, looking forward to testing it out for sure.
Old 8th March 2013
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
lupanar's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Following this thread. Maybe I'll jump to Pyramix one day.
Old 8th March 2013
  #5
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I've never heard of the thing before this thread, but I do like that they used Mahler 6 for the trailer on the site.
Old 30th March 2013
  #6
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
I´ve just realized that some of you post answers in the thread, thanks!!
I´ve just had a chance to test for a while a horus (although not the DSD premium version), it is awesome!!
Old 3rd August 2013 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
xcskier's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo1004es ➡️
...
I´ve just had a chance to test for a while a horus (although not the DSD premium version), it is awesome!!
I just made the down payment on the premium version, now shipping! (i'm excited to say the least.) When it arrives i'll compare it to the DAD AX24 and get back to you. I would have liked to do that before i made the purchase but there were other pressing reasons for the Horus ...

If i still have my Mytek in a month, i will have to put that up to compare as well.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Sold Orpheus to get Horus. Say no more.
Old 3rd August 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
price please in its basic form

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just spent a month with a HORUS demo here at our place. It is a very impressive and flexible system.

It is a SYSTEM approach to mic amps, conversion and routing.

HORUS is unique in several respects:
has Claude Cellier designed analog section with superb mic amps
only way to get DSD in to your computer with Ethernet
only way to get high clock speed recordings in to your computer w/ Ethernet
MADI and AES in / out are included in the price

The microphone preamplifiers are really good. Mr. Cellier has deep expertise in designing analog sections and when he offers this mic amp and analog front end coupled with the fantastic conversion, you have something really special.

I found the conversion to be outstanding. In comparison to our DAD AX24, the HORUS offered a slightly more mid-forward sound whereas the DAD could be described as offering a smoother, more homogeneous sound. Both converters offered outstanding resolution of lower level detail without any veil. This is difficult to accomplish.

Of course the RAVENNA audio over IP is super flexible with routing and HORUS acts as a routing hub able to send any input to any output. This capability is modern and fantastic.

All of that said, I decided to purchase a DANTE audio over IP set up instead of a RAVENNA based set up. Partly this is because I already have top top DAD conversion.

I have standardized on a MADI / DANTE combo set up that offers the best of both worlds.

I salute MERGING, Mr. Cellier and my HORUS loving colleagues.
Old 3rd August 2013 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Addict
 
xcskier's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
price please in its basic form

Cheers
The quickest quote you can find is on the VK website. That is the price for no analogue in/out modules (no AD8, DA8, AD8P, or DA8P) so yes, just the very basic.

I suggest hunting down the distributor/dealer in your country. For example in Canada it is Sonotechnique. They offered a similar price. (I'm a new poster so not sure if i am allowed to compare dealer prices in this forum). If you are already a Merging owner then there are other interesting angles on price.

It is also important to remember you may need technical support for an item such as this, so contact the appropriate dealer or distributor for Your region. I had great support here in Canada and i assume Merging in general is the same. I needed to do my homework on this purchase and they were extremely helpful.

If you are just out to compare prices on the AX32, the quick response is they are similar ball park when you have 8 in 8 out. Though options... that's another post.

a.
Old 4th August 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
8 in, 8 out (non high clock speed, non dsd) is right at $9800.
Old 11th August 2013 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Sold Orpheus to get Horus. Say no more.
Did you listen to both units side by side? Is it a big difference in converter/mic preamp quality?
Old 13th August 2013
  #14
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
See the Pyramix forum for lots of discussion:
Merging Technologies • Index page
Old 25th August 2013 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
charlienyc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I salute MERGING, Mr. Cellier and my HORUS loving colleagues.
i'm happy to be a member of that group. the more experience i have with it, the more i enjoy using it. did you have an opportunity to use Horus with Pyramix 8.1? if i'm not mistaken it's the first version which allows you to adjust mic preamp gains right from the mixer. the box in general works really well, whether over MADI or Ravenna.

cheers,
-c
Old 25th August 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
NetworkAudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
8.1 only came out of Beta after Plush wrote his post here.

There is also protools remote control for the unit now as well
Old 25th August 2013 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin ➡️
Did you listen to both units side by side? Is it a big difference in converter/mic preamp quality?
No. I bought Horus, primarily, to get an ethernet connection to recording computer and get away, forever, from the ridiculous firewire and USB connectivity offered on "professional" interfaces.

I was not concerned in the slightest about the sonic qualities of Horus, I knew they would be excellent, being a Nagra and PMX user. Say no more!
Old 26th August 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc ➡️
i'm happy to be a member of that group. the more experience i have with it, the more i enjoy using it. did you have an opportunity to use Horus with Pyramix 8.1? if i'm not mistaken it's the first version which allows you to adjust mic preamp gains right from the mixer. the box in general works really well, whether over MADI or Ravenna.

cheers,
-c
I used HORUS as a converter with analog in and out. I compared it to my DAD AX24 here. I also hooked it up via Ethernet to my Sony VAIO which was running PMX native.

Mic amps were very impressive and conversion was super class. So was my DAD.

So, for now, I am sticking with the already paid for DAD and a new ethernet solution from Focusrite REDNET4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
xcskier's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I used HORUS as a converter with analog in and out. I compared it to my DAD AX24 here. I also hooked it up via Ethernet to my Sony VAIO which was running PMX native. ...

So, for now, I am sticking with the already paid for DAD and a new ethernet solution from Focusrite REDNET4.
Hey Plush,
Did you order the new AX32, or is there a Dante upgrade for the AX24 ?

I had the dilemma this summer to upgrade my AX24 or purchase a new Horus. I chose the later and was going to sell the former, but I have since realized I can't part with my beloved AX24. (I'll trim the Mytek and a few other items instead.)

I may even upgrade the AX24 to DSD/DXD in the future, but I will stick with Ravenna ethernet, so my Dante question is more out of curiosity.
(I did see that Mytek will release a Dante expansion for the 8x192 - probably why they were slow to get back to me on their DSD to MADI compatibility.)
Old 3rd September 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No I'm sticking with the AX-24. I bought a Focusrite Rednet Dante system with Rednet 4 mic amps to use with a laptop. EMerging, the UK distributor for DAD, offered me a good upgrade path for AX-24 should I need it.
Old 8th September 2013 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
xcskier's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm ➡️
8.1 only came out of Beta after Plush wrote his post here.

There is also protools remote control for the unit now as well
I'm not a Pro Tools user, but just reading the Ravenna ASIO manual i see that there is preamp control for the Horus for both Pro Tools running on Mac or PC directly from mixer strip inputs. It's done with a midi driver over Ravenna I believe.

I need a new system with Win7 before I load Pyramix 8. I'll get back to you on Pmx control with ASIO or the direct Mass Core Ravenna connection.
Old 8th September 2013
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
stariq's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Did somebody compare HORUS to Meitner?

What are your thoughts?
Old 9th September 2013 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
charlienyc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcskier ➡️
I'm not a Pro Tools user, but just reading the Ravenna ASIO manual i see that there is preamp control for the Horus for both Pro Tools running on Mac or PC directly from mixer strip inputs. It's done with a midi driver over Ravenna I believe.
i have but rarely use Pro Tools. i have used Pyramix 8.1 with Horus, though, and it's as simple as a gain knob right on the mixer strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcskier ➡️
I need a new system with Win7 before I load Pyramix 8. I'll get back to you on Pmx control with ASIO or the direct Mass Core Ravenna connection.
it works beautifully! Merging's Ravenna Easy Connect software allows you to connect hundreds of channels in banks in any order you like, in minutes.
Old 10th October 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
JonesH's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mark et al that are running Horuses/Horae/Horii as location interfaces in the hall, how do you handle control room monitoring? Do you have an extra interface or..?
Old 10th October 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
NetworkAudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
pyramix has a system for monitoring and sending talkback (talk with src)
I believe they call it secondary audio device.
Here we use the Producer.com with ravenna
Old 10th October 2013 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH ➡️
Mark et al that are running Horuses/Horae/Horii as location interfaces in the hall, how do you handle control room monitoring? Do you have an extra interface or..?
Horus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Claude Cellier is a mad Egyptologist I am led to understand.

Its a great name for an audio interface, because when you look it up on Google, you get targeted results while it is still relatively unique. Not too many Egyptologists polluting the search data.
Old 8th May 2015
  #27
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Anyone interested in the DAD AX32 will also be interested in this. CB Electronics have just released the TMC-1 PENTA that works with the DAD 32 take a look at the link below:

TMC-1-Penta Product Page

Colin also has a blog for people to keep up to date with what he is working on link below:

Colin's Blog
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 30710
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 121 views: 33709
Avatar for SEA
SEA 21st August 2009
replies: 1 views: 1046
Avatar for fondone
fondone 25th May 2009
replies: 1296 views: 178747
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump