Quantcast
Telefunken Elam 251 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken Elam 251
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Telefunken Elam 251

How many people think that the new Telefunken Elam 251 is a piece of Junk?! I'm sure it still sounds good, but not worth the money.

I just bought this mic and I had my Mod guy open it up...As he says it is just not what it use to be! I'm telling everybody not to buy this microphone! Only buy the old ones. We went through the microphone and he was showing me in a book how much the parts cost in the microphone. One capacitor cost them .46 cents, that's what it says in a book if you buy 100 of them. Saw the price with my own eyes and saw another and another and started to get pissed off.

My mod guy said it was either $25.00 dollars or $50.00 dollars in parts. I bought this mic in the $6900.00 hundred.

Note: people have been writing articles about how crappy this microphone is made now, if you look around you will find them.

Don't let TELE**** YOU!
Old 28th July 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceMed
How many people think that the new Telefunken Elam 251 is a piece of Junk?! I'm sure it still sounds good, but not worth the money.

I just bought this mic and I had my Mod guy open it up...As he says it is just not what it use to be! I'm telling everybody not to buy this microphone! Only buy the old ones. We went through the microphone and he was showing me in a book how much the parts cost in the microphone. One capacitor cost them .46 cents, that's what it says in a book if you buy 100 of them. Saw the price with my own eyes and saw another and another and started to get pissed off.

My mod guy said it was either $25.00 dollars or $50.00 dollars in parts. I bought this mic in the $6900.00 hundred.

Note: people have been writing articles about how crappy this microphone is made now, if you look around you will find them.

Don't let TELE**** YOU!
And you think you find 800$ caps and 400$ resistors in an old one to justify the
15.000$ price ????

Why are you so negativ ? Have you work with it and heard it, or just looked inside...

I have a pair on the new ELAM251 and think they are one of the best sounding
microphones I every heard. And I'm really thinking about getting another pair this year.

Then I think it would be a great idea, when your mod guy built you one and you pay him 100$,
so he makes twice as much as the parts cost :-)

Please post a link to the articles where people talk about how crap TUSA ELAM251 are made....

wolfgang

p.s. please don't take it personal I'm just amazed by that hurican of negativ vibes :-)
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

You bought a microphone that cost between $5000 and $12000 (depending on which version it was), and the first thing you did was open the mic instead of listening to it (and you still haven't listened to it based on what you've written above)? What is the serial number? Which version was it?

Quote:
I just bought this mic and I had my Mod guy open it up...As he says it is just not what it use to be!

Thanks, who is your 'mod guy' so we know his credentials in order to base this info off of?

Quote:
I'm telling everybody not to buy this microphone!

Who is "I"?

Quote:
One capacitor cost them .46 cents, that's what it says in a book if you buy 100 of them. Saw the price with my own eyes and saw another and another and started to get pissed off.

A mics value is not just based on the sum of it's parts, although a capacitor is really bad example. How much would a capacitor supposed to cost? Would you feel better if it cost $3 (which is pretty much the most expensive audio capacitor around and probably too large to fit in the mic).

Quote:

They don't sell a mic for $6900, they are either more or less than that. Their upper end ELAM (which is $600 more than you supposedly paid) comes with either a Telefunken AC701 or GE JAN 6072a tube, and a CK12 capsule. Other than the reverse engineering they did on these microphones, the initial investment, labor, NOS or recreated parts (again depending on the version, but if you paid $6900 you have the higher end capsule), yada, yada, the tube and the CK12 capsule is worth A LOT more than $50, your mod guy is way off in his estimate.

Quote:

Can you provide links?
Old 28th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Telefunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio
And you think you find 800$ caps and 400$ resistors in an old one to justify the
15.000$ price ????

Why are you so negativ ? Have you work with it and heard it, or just looked inside...

I have a pair on the new ELAM251 and think they are one of the best sounding
microphones I every heard. And I'm really thinking about getting another pair this year.

wolfgang
Overall, the people I know aren't saying the mic sounds bad. They are saying it is way to expensive and the microphone could be way better. I trust my tech guys and my sources. They know the insides of gear, capacitors, tubes, etc...

If you're interested when I'm done rebuilding my mod I'll let you hear my re-build of the mic.

Also, many real bad articles talking about Telefunken USA. You should read them before you decide to buy some more Elam 251's. Capsule problems is one of the things they talk about.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
You're guy is wrong

[QUOTE=NathanEldred]You bought a microphone that cost between $5000 and $12000 (depending on which version it was), and the first thing you did was open the mic instead of listening to it (and you still haven't listened to it based on what you've written above)? What is the serial number? Which version was it?

Thanks, who is your 'mod guy' so we know his credentials in order to base this info off of?

Who is "I"?

A mics value is not just based on the sum of it's parts, although a capacitor is really bad example. How much would a capacitor supposed to cost? Would you feel better if it cost $3 (which is pretty much the most expensive audio capacitor around and probably too large to fit in the mic).

They don't sell a mic for $6900, they are either more or less than that. Their upper end ELAM (which is $600 more than you supposedly paid) comes with either a Telefunken AC701 or GE JAN 6072a tube, and a CK12 capsule. Other than the reverse engineering they did on these microphones, the initial investment, labor, NOS or recreated parts (again depending on the version, but if you paid $6900 you have the higher end capsule), yada, yada, the tube and the CK12 capsule is worth A LOT more than $50, your mod guy is way off in his estimate.

That is not true, your guy hasn't done all his homework! My guy found some differences.
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

That is not true, your guy hasn't done all his homework!

Huh?

Quote:
My guy found some differences.

Okay, that sums it up for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
is this thread a joke?
Old 28th July 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Don't let TELE**** YOU!

The question is...... How does it sound?

There are cheap parts to everything (even a Ferrari!)

If you've got a ck12 capsule in there, I'll buy it!

Then you can go and buy the most expensive capsule you can find to make your mic better!

Win/Win
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
mmmmm ck12
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Telefunken-USA had quite a lot of work to recreate all the details of this microphone. The mechanical parts; making templates is expensive. The capsule; Telefunken buys it from a German manufacturer which developed the capsule for them. The transformer, connectors, cables and power-supply.
There is also quite some labour in assembling the microphone and power supply.

If you really want to know how much effort, time and money is involved in recreating the ELAM 251 then let your ModMan recreate it. I'm sure that $6900 will not be enough for such a project.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Before your 'mod man' 'recreates' the mic, SELL ME THE PARTS!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heh, me thinks theres a reason he's the "mod man" and not the "microphone manufacturer"

in related news, has anyone seen the movie "Benchwarmers" ?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is it a bird....

Is it a plane....

No its Mod Man!

and he's about to fuk up a perfectly good mic
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While I understand that simply counting the parts inside a piece of gear and calculating their total cost, and comparing this to its retail price, can be a sterile exercise and mean little, maybe - I do not know honestly - TranceMed has some valid point here.
If I buy a hand made guitar from a top luthier, let's say a 5000USD Goodall, I only want to see the very best materials and workmanship. If a Ferrari exhibited cheap aircon pots, a customer would be fully entitled to complain about this, even though the research and deveopment behind that car overall justify the price tag.
When you hit certain price points, you want nothing less then a stellar product in all respects. At those levels sound quality must go side by side with build quality, and you only want to see the very best, as this will affect reliability and sonic consistency in the long run.
So my humble question, as someone who is not a technician and who doesn't know that particular microphone - and as a very happy longtime owner of a Brauner VM1, which I will never dare to let someone open - is:
does any evidence exist, in that new Tele 251, that there was some apparent cost-cutting decision in building the microphone? Are those cheap parts cheap because that's simply what they cost, or because more expensive and better equivalents were apparently rejected to reduce build costs?
As a potential purchaser and user of that microphone I would be very happy to have some feedback from those of you who have the technical skills to help.

Thank you very much
best regards
Massimo
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bravissimo Massimo! I share the same point of view and am interested to know as well

...Maybe people started to get scared after the whole Apex 460 and Telefunken M16 controversy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If I buy a hand made guitar from a top luthier, let's say a 5000USD Goodall, I only want to see the very best materials and workmanship
Yeah, but it'll still be only $200 worth of wood.

Besides, this original poster and "mod guy" are on crack. $25-$50 worth of parts?? What about the Xformers, power supply, capsule, housings......the bloody cableing that comes with the puppy is more than $25.

This guy is either a ****** or has an agenda.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It was made to be the exact mic that was produced in the 50's. It is supposed to be an exact replica. If you go changing things like the capacitors, Resistors, and things like that then it quickly becomes something other than the original. If you want an audiophile microphone with only the most esoteric parts then go find something else. If you want a microphone that is an absolute classic with a sound and a tone that is unmatched then by the new Telefunken.

I would image that the people who have used, on a regular basis, a real original 251 probably get it. Does a new 251 sound like the original? I don't know but then I use 3 different 251's on a regular basis and they don't sound exactly the same either. The Telefunken reissue I have used did sound like one of them though. Almost exactly like the original.

Pissing in the wind about what is inside and saying that it should cost $50.00 is just stupid. If you don't like the mic then sell it and buy something else. For that kind of money I am sure you could afford about anything out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats

Besides, this original poster and "mod guy" are on crack. $25-$50 worth of parts?? What about the Xformers, power supply, capsule, housings......the bloody cableing that comes with the puppy is more than $25.

I couldn't agree more. I vote for ******!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first thing I did when I bought my Tele 251 is open it up. A few pieces fell out, which bummed me a bit, but I was able to glue it back together.
Then I noticed a little Nat King Cole guy inside. He winnked and said everything was OK. I sang "Straighten Up and Fly Right", and sounded just like Nat, so it was at that point I understood the value of that mic.
I heard you can get different people inside... Like a Burt Bacharach version, Ella, Atkins, its a very wise marketing scheme.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I have no agenda! I just don't like to see people over pay for something. Would you buy a car and not look under the hood. That is what most people do when they buy an expensive microphone. I'll never do that again. How many times have we recorded something and we said that sounds great and then we use another piece of gear and to our amazement it sounds better.

Look under the hood and add up the cost of all the parts and if you bought this new 251, you will be the ****** also.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy Alz
Is it a bird....

Is it a plane....

No its Mod Man!
STOP IT! I hardly managed to get back up from the floor where I was rolling + tumbling with laughter!

ModMan on the loose!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have no agenda!
Then why are you lieing abou the cost of materials. Do you know how much a CK12 capsule costs? Do you know how much it costs to re-skin and retune a CK12? I could go on.

Honestly, you come on this board and state that the mic has only $25-$50 worth of parts. Besides having nothing to do with anything, it's a lie. Why are you lieing if you don't have an agenda?

Secondly, don't worry about saving anyone here. Anyone who needs a 251 or any mic of that value knows what the deal is. If it's just a ****** buying an expensive mic for emotional reasons - they're still ok, it says Telefunken on the badge and their eyes probably have excellent hearingheh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Then why are you lieing abou the cost of materials. Do you know how much a CK12 capsule costs? Do you know how much it costs to re-skin and retune a CK12? I could go on.

Honestly, you come on this board and state that the mic has only $25-$50 worth of parts. Besides having nothing to do with anything, it's a lie. Why are you lieing if you don't have an agenda?

Secondly, don't worry about saving anyone here. Anyone who needs a 251 or any mic of that value knows what the deal is. If it's just a ****** buying an expensive mic for emotional reasons - they're still ok, it says Telefunken on the badge and their eyes probably have excellent hearingheh
In reading my original posting, I recognize it came across in a way I hadn’t intended. I would like to concede certain points and also reinforce the intention of my argument.

The cost of materials of the microphone are much higher than the $25-50 I stated. The body, grill and all metal work is of very high quality and quite expensive to build. Clearly, that must account for nearly a thousand dollars of expense. Same for the suite case and wooden box, very nice quality. The injection molding of the custom plastic parts had to cost a great deal of money. No doubt there is some real value in all of these parts.

What I should have been more clear about was that I was referring to the passive components inside the microphone and power supply. These components are no better than you would find in average, consumer quality electronics. They are not purpose designed for audio (yes, there are parts available which are designed specifically for high-end audio) In checking prices on the same or very similar components (www.mouser.com), I came up with under $5 for the mic and under $15 for the power supply (transformer adds maybe $45).

Some people will argue that resistors, capacitors and wire do not effect the sound of a piece of gear. I happen to disagree. It all maters. If not, then where does the quality come from? Let’s see, what’s left... the capsule, the output transformer. What is it in these components that makes them so special? Material, design and workmanship. Just like the resistors, wire and caps. I’m sure everyone reading this wants to believe the capsule and output transformer are of the highest caliber, why would you expect less from the other components?

When you go to a fine restaurant you expect beautiful decorations, excellent service and fine quality food. If any of these things are missing, the experience is not complete.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In reading my original posting, I recognize it came across in a way I hadn’t intended. I would like to concede certain points and also reinforce the intention of my argument.

The cost of materials of the microphone are much higher than the $25-50 I stated. The body, grill and all metal work is of very high quality and quite expensive to build. Clearly, that must account for nearly a thousand dollars of expense. Same for the suite case and wooden box, very nice quality. The injection molding of the custom plastic parts had to cost a great deal of money. No doubt there is some real value in all of these parts.

What I should have been more clear about was that I was referring to the passive components inside the microphone and power supply. These components are no better than you would find in average, consumer quality electronics. They are not purpose designed for audio (yes, there are parts available which are designed specifically for high-end audio) In checking prices on the same or very similar components (www.mouser.com), I came up with under $5 for the mic and under $15 for the power supply (transformer adds maybe $45).

Some people will argue that resistors, capacitors and wire do not effect the sound of a piece of gear. I happen to disagree. It all maters. If not, then where does the quality come from? Let’s see, what’s left... the capsule, the output transformer. What is it in these components that makes them so special? Material, design and workmanship. Just like the resistors, wire and caps. I’m sure everyone reading this wants to believe the capsule and output transformer are of the highest caliber, why would you expect less from the other components?

When you go to a fine restaurant you expect beautiful decorations, excellent service and fine quality food. If any of these things are missing, the experience is not complete.
My point in my original post was that they appear to be doing what was originally done 50 years ago. I would never debate that other components won't change the sound of a microphone. That is not their intention. Their intention appears to be making a faithful reproduction of the original microphone.

Take a look at what Jim Williams does with gear. He does go through and take out all the "Crap" components and replace them with the highest quality components he can find and that he has listened to with his ears. If you ever get a chance to hear one of his 414's it will blow your socks off. It is truly a piece of art and I have always contended that AKG could have done something similar but chose not to because some bean counter freaked out when they found out that it would raise the cost of each unit but quite a bit. In the world of mass production quantity for low price wins out over quality. It sucks but it is business. And because of that it has made a very nice business for Jim. But does his modified 414 sound like an original 414? Same family perhaps. Similar flavor but not exactly the same no. Thank God!!!

If you are unhappy with your 251 then let Jim or your "ModMan" have a go with it and see what he can do. But will it sound like an original 251? No. Will it sound better? Maybe. If it works for you great. But an original 251 also works really great for me.

That is what makes all this great. Finding a flavor that works for you and not letting it matter that it doesn't work for the next guy.

Peace,
Michael Greene
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
I understand his complaint. If I spent that much on a mic I would expect to get my money's worth. It's very common to find expensive audio gear with nice exteriors and cheap interiors.

It comes down to proportion for me. If I spend $39 for a ******** mic, I don't expect to find MIT caps in there. If I spend $$$$ on a mic, I would expect not to find the same level of parts in there as found in a cheap mic, it's not proportional to the cost, irrespective of the capsule.

Why does Telefunct select cheaper parts for the interior? Because they can get away with it. A few more threads like this and it's possible they may respond with improved components.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Exactly...

I think that TranceMed probably has some sort of agenda (I guess we all do when it comes down to it) but that does not mean his agenda is off base.

Look we all know that there is big money in R&D etc. and that not every part in the mic is going to be worth $100 or $1000 but I think there is a certain expectation that comes along with high dollar purchases. With the other tricks that Telefunken USA has pulled on other microphones in the past I don't think it is a stretch to question them here as well.

Also Jim is exactly correct in saying that thread like this can drive the industry to create higher standards for manufactures. I will not be buying a Telefunken USA Elam 251 or any other product from Telefunken USA for that matter and maybe that will push them to make a microphone that has more then just a name attached to it that I will be interested in some day.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TranceMed,

It's called capitalism, make it as cheap as possible and sell it for as much as you can. I won't get into this debate, but I share your sentiment.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new

the other tricks that Telefunken USA has pulled on other microphones in the past I don't think it is a stretch to question them here as well.
Exactly,

Telefunken USA is indefensible.

They destroyed their rep with me and many other people with how they responded to very serious concerns and real complaints.

To be honest though, I'm completely with Nathan regarding the poster.

I would like for him to show us that he owns this microphone and show it to us. When making complaints like this it is only fair.

"I bought a $5000 - $15000 dollar microphone but I don't own or have access to a digital camera" is something I've actually heard before with complaints like these. The poster slips away, never to be heard from again.

Did you notice his reply ignore every single question Nathan asked? When you post something this serious IT MUST BE BACKED UP!!!

Aside from all this I'm not sure why he couldn't return it....????

Just because someone says something doesn't make it so. Him showing he owns the microphone is the only thing that makes his complaint valid.

We'll see if he does.. My money says he doesn't... I'll be wrong again but I'm guessing not this time.
Lives for gear

93 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
whatever you may think of tele usa is one thing .

what the original poster did is wrong.

he has not answered direct questions in a satisfactory manner.

in fact this type thread is non-sense and a time waster.dfegad

I think people who are going to post slander about anything and then not back it up with actual facts and references as well as not answering any direct questions should be banned from the forumtutt

don't pollute the airwaves .

if you want to increase pressure on companies to use better components in products you'll have to do better then this

(i don't know why Jim would want thatheh )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also Jim is exactly correct in saying that thread like this can drive the industry to create higher standards for manufactures. I will not be buying a Telefunken USA Elam 251 or any other product from Telefunken USA for that matter and maybe that will push them to make a microphone that has more then just a name attached to it that I will be interested in some day.
This is rediculous. It costs $1500 to get a craftsman such as Klaus to mod a U87 - how much do you think the parts cost him?? Yet everybody is extremely happy and feel it was good value. Yet Telefunken does the same thing to a Chinese mic, and now they're criminals

Now because they used 50 cent caps instead of $1 caps, ther product is junk? Well who's mics are you gonna buy - Neumann, same thing happening - actually most of the big names.

OTOH I have a few boutique mics here, with the fancy $3.00 components and guess what....I'm not crazy about the soundheh

Look, I don't own any Telefunken mics (I've heard them though and was pretty impressed) so I'm not bringing any baggage to the debate. I just think it's pretty hypocritical to jump all over this company and not every other company.
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is rediculous. It costs $1500 to get a craftsman such as Klaus to mod a U87 - how much do you think the parts cost him?? Yet everybody is extremely happy and feel it was good value. Yet Telefunken does the same thing to a Chinese mic, and now they're criminals
I think you are making exactly my point and missing it at the same time. I don't have any problem at all that someone like Klaus is modding a u87 and changeing good money for it. In the end his mod sounds better no matter what parts he is using and MOST importantly he is not saying that it is his mic. At best he is saying that it is a Klaus modified Neumann u87.

That is NOT in any way the same thing as Telefunken USA (and let us make this abundantly clear less there is any confusion, this is a US company that has registered the rights to use the name "Telefunken," a name of a long defunk German company that rebranded other high qualtiy German manufactured products).

Telefunken USA is not selling their microphones as a "modified Chinese mic" they are selling it as a "Telefunken" and they expect that you all will lap it up because it has a name badge on it.

In my eyes the name "Telefunken" comes with a certin expectation and that expectation is not a rebranded Chinese condenser that I can purchase for 90% less some place else (this may not be the case with the ELUX 251 but it sure was with their other products).

Quote:
Now because they used 50 cent caps instead of $1 caps, ther product is junk? Well who's mics are you gonna buy - Neumann, same thing happening - actually most of the big names.
Again making my point without getting my point. The point is that there are going to be lower end parts in everything out there that is just how it goes. BUT If I pay $5000 for a mic (for example I don't know or care how much the "Telefunken USA mic is) I expect it to have a few better parts than a $800 Chinese knock off. Sorry I don't think that is too much to ask for the extra $4200 in this example.

Quote:
OTOH I have a few boutique mics here, with the fancy $3.00 components and guess what....I'm not crazy about the soundheh
Cool.. but not the point. The point is that when you buy a low end product you expect low end parts and design. When you buy a high dollar product you expect high end parts, at least the ones that matter, and a kick ass design. If I can get the same parts and the same design from a Chinese mic and the only difference is a name badge that was rented from another company... well.. seems like a pretty easy answer as to which one I am going to buy but I will give you a hint, it will not be the one with a special name badge on it.

Quote:
Look, I don't own any Telefunken mics (I've heard them though and was pretty impressed) so I'm not bringing any baggage to the debate. I just think it's pretty hypocritical to jump all over this company and not every other company.
I agree unless this company is doing something different that other companies are not doing.. then I think we should jump up and down on them until their eyes pop out.
πŸ“ Reply