The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U47 Lovers
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo ➡️
Then I have a diferent "Recording the beatles" book, because mine said that they frequently used U48s and that Neumman converted Abbey Road's U47's in to U48's.
There's no argument that they frequently used U48s - the point of contention was whether they also frequently used U47s. The verbatim quote from RTB (p168 para1 lines 2-4) is:
"...On the group's earliest sessions, the U48 clearly was preferred (though eventually the U47 and U48 would see equal use)."
Moreover, while further down the same page it does indeed state that a number of Abbey Road's U47s were returned to Neumann to be converted to U48s (p168 para3), it doesn't say they all were - and elsewhere it states (p168 para1 lines 12-14):
"...The number of U47s and U48s in use at Abbey Road varied somewhat over the years, but the count hovered at around a dozen of each."
- which appears to indicate that Abbey Road acquired a lot of U47s and some U48s, then converted some of the U47s to 48s to end up with about the same number of each. Which would be consistent with the two models seeing equal use on all but the earliest Beatles sessions - as well as with various other references elsewhere in the book.

If, indeed, your copy of the book doesn't include the above text at the places I've referenced, I will happily concede that either you have a different book, or one of us is living in a parallel universe.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I really enjoy the story about abbey road U47/U48 mics, but I want to see more photos especially with you to use your mics
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➡️
Tony, what you actually said was "the previous poster was correct" - ratifying a comment from jono_3 in which s/he said "FWIW The Beatles rarely used a U-47, and in most pictures, including the one posted above, it is a U-48.".

However, according to the book you mentioned, it appears that the Beatles frequently used U47s and, as noted, were quite likely using one in the photo that jono_3 (and you) were referring to. So jono_3 was outright wrong on the first point and probably also wrong on the second.

You're a good guy, and I don't mean to offend you. Just trying to set the record straight.
It's not worth the time to get into this with you, but read the "Recording the Beatles" book and come back after you're a little more informed. Between the 47 and 48, the 48 was used much more, and because the 48's used were converted 47, pictures could easily be deceiving. Additionally George Martin has also frequently stated that he greatly preferred the 48 to the 47.

In the future, if you are going to going to accuse me or anyone else of being incorrect, please back it up with some sort of factual knowledge. In this case, reading the book we are referring to would probably help you understand the conversation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 ➡️
It's not worth the time to get into this with you, but read the "Recording the Beatles" book and come back after you're a little more informed. Between the 47 and 48, the 48 was used much more, and because the 48's used were converted 47, pictures could easily be deceiving. Additionally George Martin has also frequently stated that he greatly preferred the 48 to the 47.

In the future, if you are going to going to accuse me or anyone else of being incorrect, please back it up with some sort of factual knowledge. In this case, reading the book we are referring to would probably help you understand the conversation.
Lovely - thanks for that.

Perhaps you'd care to read my previous post (#31) for verbatim quotes from the book in question - as both "some sort of factual knowledge" as well as evidence that at least one of us has read "the book we are referring to".
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks good, you're on the right track. You have successfully posted quotes from the book. Keep reading and eventually there is a discussion of Geoff Emerick's mic usage, George Martin's personal preferences, and how many tracks they comped to put together Hey Bulldog.

Anyway, to help the OP with his U47 website, I said that Bealtes typically used a U48 for vocals, so odds are pictures of Bealtes singing will contain a 48 instead of a 47, and I also said that Abbey Road converted their 47s to 47/48s. That is true information, and I hope it helps the OP.

Honestly, I don't even know what point you are trying to make, or really why I am even responding to you.

I would expect someone with the gull to say someone is "outright wrong," would include something in the post that give the person the ability to say so, but it's your rodeo Cowboy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono_3 ➡️
Anyway, to help the OP with his U47 website, I said that Bealtes typically used a U48 for vocals, so odds are pictures of Bealtes singing will contain a 48 instead of a 47, and I also said that Abbey Road converted their 47s to 47/48s. That is true information, and I hope it helps the OP.
Bealtes? Never heard of them.

Regardless, if merely repeating the same disinformation (in contradiction of facts and textual references already posted) makes it true then you're working wonders here. Otherwise, you appear to be digging yourself a deeper hole.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Jono, Darksky... stop it girls, you're both pretty.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This sounds sort of like the kind of argument one would overhear at a Star Trek convention. heh
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Some very cool pics.
Look forward to seeing more! And look forward to seeing your website.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor ➡️
This sounds sort of like the kind of argument one would overhear at a Star Trek convention. heh
No shit.

In episode 38 - where Lennon cuts a vocal and the U-48 was employed.

It ain't rocket surgery - the U-48, in most instances is a more useable microphone than the U-47 as "omnidirectional" isn't a pattern that is conducive to most "pop" [rock, alternative, etc] recordings - its a pattern better suited to orchestral / classical recording work as most "pop" [rock, alternative, metal, etc.] require the extra bottom provided by proximity effect to sound "genre appropriate" which is what it seems we're all trying our level best to do... make our work "genre appropriate" rather than "ground breakingly different".

Peace
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➡️
Nice one.

Irony aside, if it used the same tube, same housing, same headshell and basically the same circuit as well as the same capsule, then it might. But otherwise...
So i guess you are right then - on my move
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's the songs, not the mic per se........
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 1083858
There is a video on YouTube which is recorded at EMI discussing their mic cupboard (collection) and they have an example of the Neumann U48/47. The u48/47s are from the 1950’s and EMI have just over 50 of them and they are all still in use. When they discusses the U48 the person from EMI says that interestingly all the U48 came with an additional U47 head in the case. So they were all U48s or U47s from day one. They could be set up to be either.
📝 Reply