Xpressor for masterbuss ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Xpressor for masterbuss ??
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Xpressor for masterbuss ??

Hi guys,

this is my first post, but I am a reader for some time.

I'm considering buying a compressor for mastering vocal production house / dance to be coupled with an API 5500 (for low) and probably with a Clariphonic (for high).
Given that if you buy the two eq will not have a great badget I was considering buying a Elysisa Xpressor ... Using an API 2500 on drum buss (I'm very happy!) And I thought to leave it there even if I thought I could buy a DRAWMER 1968 for this and move the API on the master.
Do you have any advice on what is the best way to go?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I loooooove my xpressor. I use it for a few duties, mix buss being one. personally I'd go for that over the drawmer.

With the SCF & the wet/dry options, I love it.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you're looking for a transparent, tweakable stereo gain reduction tool on a lower budget, the xpressor definitely fits the bill. Gain reduction limiting, parallel compression, the log release button.... just fantastic options in that piece. Clean and powerful. But if you want mojo/character certainly use your 2500 on the mixbuss. the xpressor will do excellent work on drumbuss. It's kind of a nobrainer in its price range imho.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the answers ... I know that xpressor is very clear .. I would use on the master due to glue and pumping sound.
There are many other options out there but they have larger budgets and each with well-defined colors that do not fit all situations while Elysia I think it's one of the more neutral option (I only got to try the plug-in hardware then I seen a few videos and heard a few loops but I never had the chance to test it first-hand).
I plan in the future to conlcudere my tool kit with the purchase of a Pendulum PL-2 and a Culture Vulture ME and this last tool I would use to go to any color the master when needed.

I also wonder if you think I could do without the Clariphonic working only with API 5500 in that case I would have more economic resources .... Unfortunately, having a high badget not if I have to spend in the EQ then the rest risparmariare or possibly send him to the future .... why ask advice on what might be the best way for me.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
any other advice?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSEGLUE ➑️
any other advice?
I use the Dangerous Music BAX EQ followed by the Xpressor rack on the mixbus. I love da combo. Grab yourself an Xpressor. I have never used a Kush Clariphonic (still hoping for a stepped version). The demos @ their site do seem promising. (still hoping for a stepped version)
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I started a project 2 years ago, with the API on drums and the Xpressor on the 2-bus.
After 5 tunes I switched the API to the mix & the Elysia to the vocals bus. (I even redid those 5 mixes.)
That's the way it's worked best for me since, with the recent addition of a 5500 to the mixbus.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I own the Mpressor and it is amazing.

Do not know much about the xpressor but from what I hear it is great.
Elysia compressors are some of the best I have heard especially when it comes to electronic music.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn ➑️
I use the Dangerous Music BAX EQ followed by the Xpressor rack on the mixbus. I love da combo. Grab yourself an Xpressor. I have never used a Kush Clariphonic (still hoping for a stepped version). The demos @ their site do seem promising. (still hoping for a stepped version)
Yeah man, plus one on this combo as that's what I've got on my master buss as well.

Xpressor is super easy to control and get what you want it to do in a short period of time. I'm also a fan of transparency on the master buss and getting my color on my individual tracks. Price point is also a definite yes, watched their video presentation on it and snagged it. Really just an awesome piece!
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

1968 is very cool but really smacks the signal, as long as its in parallel... Makes a decent parallel mix comp. have you ever used the ext SC? The one I used had crazy bleed from input sc to actual signal
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much for the answers ... I finally convinced ... my master will be API 5500 and XPressor maybe back to the Clariphonic and immediately add the Culture Vulture ME... normally I tend to create the color directly in the tracks of the mix while I prefer to have the master + glue and push but neutrality
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp ➑️
I started a project 2 years ago, with the API on drums and the Xpressor on the 2-bus.
After 5 tunes I switched the API to the mix & the Elysia to the vocals bus. (I even redid those 5 mixes.)
That's the way it's worked best for me since, with the recent addition of a 5500 to the mixbus.
What kind produce? basically ... you would have a configuration similar to the one I'm thinking
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSEGLUE ➑️
What kind produce? basically ... you would have a configuration similar to the one I'm thinking
Mainly Rock. Big drums & guitars. The APIs to me just have THAT tone.

I can see the Xpressor working well for pop - with clean & slow settings - or electronic/dance, where the over-compression feature could come in handy.
Old 3rd October 2012
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
I love the Xpressor here as well. It is as mentioned not a color comp, but it is a great unit.
sometimes wish i had a couple here: )~
πŸ“ Reply