Greiner Eng. Sum.mation - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Greiner Eng. Sum.mation
Old 6th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➡️
I'm following the development of this great device for many months.
Its a fantastic idea.

Looking forward for the AU version.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Hey Armando!

The AU version is basically done - just a couple of graphics/UI tweaks to do. I'll send out a mail when it's available (very soon).
Old 20th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Once the AU version is done are you on to VST version ? This unit looks great !
Old 20th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
Once the AU version is done are you on to VST version ? This unit looks great !
The AU plugin was released today. The VST version is mostly done, but we're not comfortable putting out software with any bugs in it (if we can help it!). Shouldn't be too much longer.

Send us a note through our website to subscribe to the mailing list, and lets us know what DAW & OS you're using, so we know where to concentrate our efforts.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Will do !
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some you tube videos of summation in action would be great-especially with something like an avid controller
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once a roadie ➡️
Some you tube videos of summation in action would be great-especially with something like an avid controller
Ah yes - the youtube videos. They're on the ever-growing list of things to do!
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I was checking out your website and couldn't help notice the Auto.Mate coming soon. Care to elaborate on that one?

thanks,
Brad
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➡️
Hi,

I was checking out your website and couldn't help notice the Auto.Mate coming soon. Care to elaborate on that one?

thanks,
Brad
Yes, well... I wish I could say how soon - but I can't

Auto.mate is the same plugin control as sum.mation, but the hardware doesn't contain any audio circuitry - just control voltages for controlling existing automation packages (SSL, Flying Faders...). The prototype is being tested now, and the interface is being refined.

I'll tell you more as soon as I have more to tell.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit ➡️
Yes, well... I wish I could say how soon - but I can't

Auto.mate is the same plugin control as sum.mation, but the hardware doesn't contain any audio circuitry - just control voltages for controlling existing automation packages (SSL, Flying Faders...). The prototype is being tested now, and the interface is being refined.

I'll tell you more as soon as I have more to tell.
Hi Scott,

Is Auto.Mate bidirectional? By that I mean, can I automate with the SSL faders and draw, edit and write SSL automation in the DAW?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooloop ➡️
Hi Scott,

Is Auto.Mate bidirectional? By that I mean, can I automate with the SSL faders and draw, edit and write SSL automation in the DAW?
The current prototype does not, but we're looking into it. We're trying to find a better way into Pro Tools than through HUI or Eucon, but Avid is not very responsive at the moment.

Other issues are due to the differences between different automation packages. SSL is pretty easy - the others, not so much. Finding something that works for many systems is proving challenging.
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The current prototype does not, but we're looking into it. We're trying to find a better way into Pro Tools than through HUI or Eucon, but Avid is not very responsive at the moment.

Other issues are due to the differences between different automation packages. SSL is pretty easy - the others, not so much. Finding something that works for many systems is proving challenging.
Thanks. Wishing you the best of luck with your product.

Would be sweet to be able to ride the faders on the SSL and be able to do detailed automation edits in ProTools.
Old 27th May 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hello Scott,

I'm wondering if the AU plug in is already 64 bit compatible.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➡️
Hello Scott,

I'm wondering if the AU plug in is already 64 bit compatible.
Currently 32bit, but 64bit versions will be ready very soon!
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Maniac

Considering buying this product, but I have three questions:

What would be the best way to view multiple (even all, on a big enough monitor) of the "faders" in a Sum.mation? Opening all of the plugins is the obvious answer, but are these windows resizeable in Logic Pro or any other DAW? Perhaps a "small fader" view option would make this easier in future versions.

Secondly, are there any plans for a standalone software showing the realtime status of all of Sum.mation's faders, perhaps even giving control? Monitoring only would be fine too.

Lastly, is there a way to control multiple faders at the same time, short of buying several control surfaces? Do most control surfaces that support manipulating a plugin parameter via fader support multiple parameters across multiple faders, usually? (Specifically thinking about the Avid Artist Mix here)

Thanks!
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Maniac

Considering buying this product, but I have three questions:

What would be the best way to view multiple (even all, on a big enough monitor) of the "faders" in a Sum.mation? Opening all of the plugins is the obvious answer, but are these windows resizeable in Logic Pro or any other DAW? Perhaps a "small fader" view option would make this easier in future versions.

Secondly, are there any plans for a standalone software showing the realtime status of all of Sum.mation's faders, perhaps even giving control? Monitoring only would be fine too.

Lastly, is there a way to control multiple faders at the same time, short of buying several control surfaces? Do most control surfaces that support manipulating a plugin parameter via fader support multiple parameters across multiple faders, usually? (Specifically thinking about the Avid Artist Mix here)

Thanks!
Old 1st June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All very good questions!

Quote:
Opening each plugin window is the only way at this point, though we're speaking with with Avid about tighter Pro Tools and controller integration. We're also considering a single plugin with all 16 faders, though that would change the workflow a bit.

Quote:
The solutions outlined above would give us that. We'll know more as soon as Avid ships PT11 and things calm down there.

Quote:
The tightest integration is with an Icon, which can already do what you're describing. The Artist Series controllers only allow access to one plugin at a time. I'm hopeful that we can improve the overall user experience, with a little cooperation from the DAW manufacturers.
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your focus seems to be on Pro Tools and Avid controllers. What about the other DAWs and controllers out there? Will your system work with a multiple-fader controller such as a Mackie with expanders, or similar?
Old 2nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks ➡️
Your focus seems to be on Pro Tools and Avid controllers. What about the other DAWs and controllers out there? Will your system work with a multiple-fader controller such as a Mackie with expanders, or similar?
All of sum.mation's controller functionality comes from the DAW & controller you use. I mention Avid controllers simply because they're newer technology and have a greater feature set than some of the older protocols.

Sum.mation will work with almost any DAW+controller, including HUI, MCU and LogicControl. The actual communication between DAW and controller has nothing to do with sum.mation. It's the DAW + controller protocol's ability to control plugin parameters from the controller that's important. Each setup is slightly different, with Avid's Icon being the most feature-laden.

We're working towards better DAW integration for sum.mation, starting with Avid. Hopefully they'll be able allocate the resources necessary to work on the changes we're presenting to them. Other DAW manufacturers would follow, but ultimately the decision lies with each of them, not us (it's their world, we just function within it). Fingers crossed.
Old 2nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Scott !

Sorry for not replying to your request by email with the driver testing and errors. But sinds I'm on PT 10.3 I have no problems or whatso ever sinds! And busy as hell otm on the other side of the pond. Will contact you ASAP!
Can't wait for having a fader plugin with all the 16faders in 1 plugin window! THAT would be awesome for my c24!
Old 7th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you set up a dummy aux with the plug synced to the correct input could you just automate that aux input instead?
Old 8th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana ➡️
If you set up a dummy aux with the plug synced to the correct input could you just automate that aux input instead?
Not sure what you mean by "synced" exactly... Our plugin works independently of the DAW's faders. The only way to get DAW faders to control the outside world (and vice versa) is through a controller protocol, like HUI, Mackie Control, or EuCon. We opted not to do it that way, as it interferes with peoples hardware controllers (banking, etc). We also felt it was cooler to have the automation on the track you want to automate. That way the automation is laid over the waveform.

There are many possibilities for future DAW integration, but ultimately that's up to the DAW companies.
Old 8th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "synced" exactly... Our plugin works independently of the DAW's faders. The only way to get DAW faders to control the outside world (and vice versa) is through a controller protocol, like HUI, Mackie Control, or EuCon. We opted not to do it that way, as it interferes with peoples hardware controllers (banking, etc). We also felt it was cooler to have the automation on the track you want to automate. That way the automation is laid over the waveform.

There are many possibilities for future DAW integration, but ultimately that's up to the DAW companies.
Ohh ok cool. Yeah I realize now how not clear I was there haha. But after a whole day of research on it I get it now. Still sweet and almost exactly what I see in my dreams at night
Old 22nd August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just discover this... hoping for such things since long time so i do my system 2 years ago based around Studer VCA sub modular card (euro card)
Simply drived with DC signal (audio file) and send trought a DC compatible audio card, I have dedicated audio bus in my DAW and fader do the job.
The VCA are patched pre or post on the back of my Studer 289

My system have 24bits step since it's the audio converter sending the CV, inconvenient is that I have some noise (low anyway) coming from the sampling rate (DC were trigged 44100 or more time per sec)
Did your system work over 7 bit midi? what are the step accuracy?
I'm interested on how it work as i never prototype my first idea to drive the VCA from a midi to CV interface due to the 7 bit 128 step

Your product seem very attractive, any chance to have distributor in France to rent or evaluate the system in situ ?

Old 22nd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject ➡️
Just discover this... hoping for such things since long time so i do my system 2 years ago based around Studer VCA sub modular card (euro card)
Simply drived with DC signal (audio file) and send trought a DC compatible audio card, I have dedicated audio bus in my DAW and fader do the job.
The VCA are patched pre or post on the back of my Studer 289

My system have 24bits step since it's the audio converter sending the CV, inconvenient is that I have some noise (low anyway) coming from the sampling rate (DC were trigged 44100 or more time per sec)
Did your system work over 7 bit midi? what are the step accuracy?
I'm interested on how it work as i never prototype my first idea to drive the VCA from a midi to CV interface due to the 7 bit 128 step

Your product seem very attractive, any chance to have distributor in France to rent or evaluate the system in situ ?

That's a very interesting approach! I have a friend who drives his modular synths that way. Even though sum.mation is using midi as it's communication language, it isn't limited to 7 bit. You can combine controllers and messages to get any resolution you want. Ours matches the Pro Tools fader resolution.

We're currently looking into worldwide distribution with several companies - stay tuned!
Old 23rd August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ho yes it's also good for syth CV, I use it to syc my Juno 60 arpegiator
But now motu made some plug-in for this (never try it...)

So it's 8 bit? I say 24bit but fader's DAW have 0.1dB step ended in 1024 I think?

what VCA are you using?

I see another product coming soon on you website. This will be a plug-in automation to CV?

Zam
Old 23rd August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject ➡️
So it's 8 bit? I say 24bit but fader's DAW have 0.1dB step ended in 1024 I think?
12 bit internal processing scaled to 0.1dB increments (1024 steps)

Quote:
I see another product coming soon on you website. This will be a plug-in automation to CV?
Sort of. That product - auto.mate - is still a prototype, which functions exactly as you say (control voltages). We're currently looking into other means of communicating with other manufacturers' automation, as CV is not always easy to access on certain systems. I should apologize for saying "coming soon", as it's clearly taking longer than I expected.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If you have 12 bits you should get 4096 steps. 'Aight?

/Binary Police
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
12 bit internal processing scaled to 0.1dB increments (1024 steps)

Sort of. That product - auto.mate - is still a prototype, which functions exactly as you say (control voltages). We're currently looking into other means of communicating with other manufacturers' automation, as CV is not always easy to access on certain systems. I should apologize for saying "coming soon", as it's clearly taking longer than I expected.

/Binary Police
Old 25th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G ➡️

/Binary Police
Hey Pelle! How's it going?

12 bit is indeed 4096 steps, which is why I had said "12 bit internal processing scaled to 0.1dB increments (1024 steps)"

This way it matches the Pro Tools fader scale, but can be other resolutions if necessary in the future.
Old 25th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Pelle! How's it going?

12 bit is indeed 4096 steps, which is why I had said "12 bit internal processing scaled to 0.1dB increments (1024 steps)"

This way it matches the Pro Tools fader scale, but can be other resolutions if necessary in the future.
Ha ha. It's funny with bits and decimals you know. Most systems use a 10 bit scale and people whine and are picky. Thinking its not fine resolution enough.

I tell you this, if you display the bits and try to move the fader the tiniest move (uptown has this feature in the software) it's impossible to not jump at least 3-4 steps.
Also, when you mix and decide to trim a track say 0.5 dB. When you see the fader jerk its a joke. You would never do such a minor tweak manually.

Finally, I just built myself a monitor controller for my B room. I use 128 steps, 0.5dB steps. I would challenge anyone to actually hear the level change one step. It's very subtle.

Even though, I'm sure a 16 bit resolution is a good selling point.
📝 Reply