Quantcast
Greiner Eng. Sum.mation - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Greiner Eng. Sum.mation
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hanging to hear how automation will work..keep us posted.
Old 10th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
Yup! After some hard deadlines and a quick visit to Moscow (become uncle and needed to visit to see the little girl of my brother).
I had some running up problems but with a quick Skype Call with Mr.Greiner himself 15mins later everything was running.
So my first exp. so far:
1. The "stereo" image is indeed much better then ITB summing (protools) with stems (When I'm back in Paris, recording for a week in south of france, I'll post a ITB/OTB shoot out).
2. Over all sound its just very clean. BUT it sounds just more polisched in very goodway
3. Finally goodbye to phase issues when parr.compression when using my outboard gear and Protools 9/10 with SSL Alphalink. Even with the offset setup right in I/O window, when changing your samplerate or buffer...everything is f*cked up again... ... And now... it doens't!

Really, I'm a very happy men otm with this product. Only have some small workflow issue's with the plugin and the Digidesign c24 controller. But Mr.Greiner is already on it and we shared some idea's for optimazing the plugin for controllers.
can you elaborate on point 3? were you using hardware inserts and now that you have a summing mixer this issue has gone away?
Old 9th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
interesting, subscribed!
what would be the price in Germany?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_X ➑️
interesting, subscribed!
what would be the price in Germany?
Hi,

For the moment, sales are handled through our website. The price is $2500 USD. Shipping to Europe is around $100.

Thanks for checking it out!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit ➑️
Hi,

For the moment, sales are handled through our website. The price is $2500 USD. Shipping to Europe is around $100.

Thanks for checking it out!
+ 1000$ customs TAX
...NO Thanx
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+ 1000$ customs TAX
...NO Thanx
Until distribution in Europe is solidified, we'll be handling each customer on a case-by-case basis. All countries' import duties are not the same. Contact us through the website and we'll work out the details.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How is the implementation of VST going?
Old 10th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks ➑️
How is the implementation of VST going?
It's coming along, but not yet beta-ready. AU version is pretty much done and will be available any day now.
Old 10th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
+ 1000$ customs TAX
...NO Thanx
That's not quite the way it works. Actually, you'd be paying 2500 DOLLARS, which is only around 1923 EUROS; then adding import duties and VAT for your country. You would find it to be close to 2500€. If you examine the average pro audio super stores in the U.S. and Europe, you'll find that items sell on a pretty even scale: Dollars to Euros, to make up for the taxes & import duties which are included in the retail price.

Once sum.mation is being distributed globally, I think you'll find the price to reflect everyone else's pricing structure. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 13th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➑️
2. Over all sound its just very clean. BUT it sounds just more polisched in
how does it sound when you hit it hard...i.e can it give you some love if you like to slap it around?

how many dbs of headroom??

thanks,
tim
Old 13th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgowdy ➑️
how does it sound when you hit it hard...i.e can it give you some love if you like to slap it around?
Sum.mation was designed to be relatively clean and transparent, thought there is a "certain something" that sets it apart from a digital mix. Hard to describe really. I'm usually getting the mojo from other gear in the chain (Neve 2254 today). When I want additional character, I use passive mode with mic pre's as make-up gain (Hardy M1's being the current favorite).

Quote:
how many dbs of headroom??
Not sure what spec' you're looking for exactly, as decibels are always in relation to something else. Sum.mation's output is +27.5dBu @ 0.1% THD+N into 600 Ohms. Lot's of other stuff in your chain will most likely be clipping before sum.mation does.
Old 14th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
manual

That's the information I was looking for - thanks. One more thing...I'm aware of the data sheet on the website but has there been a pdf manual written? I wouldn't mind taking a look at before committing.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 14th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgowdy ➑️
That's the information I was looking for - thanks. One more thing...I'm aware of the data sheet on the website but has there been a pdf manual written? I wouldn't mind taking a look at before committing.

Cheers,
Tim
The manual can be downloaded from the downloads section of the website. I should have some videos up soon too...
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Any way to save the automation you do on a particular song to a file?
Old 25th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
whats the headroom/noise-floor/dynamic range on this baby? i suppose it would depend on the preamp you end up using....
Old 25th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➑️
Any way to save the automation you do on a particular song to a file?
All automation is stored in your DAW as plugin automation. If your DAW can export that info (OMF with volume?) you can do whatever you want with it. What sort of a file did you have in mind?
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
All automation is stored in your DAW as plugin automation. If your DAW can export that info (OMF with volume?) you can do whatever you want with it. What sort of a file did you have in mind?
Just thinking about how hard recall would be.Sounds good.When's the vst driver going to be done?

Sent from my PC36100
Old 26th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sum.mation's output is +27.5dBu @ 0.1% THD+N into 600 Ohms.
NICE!!!! if you buy 2 can u get the front panel on one of them to say 17 to 32 instead of 1 to 16?
Old 31st December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Scott, any further news on auto.mate? Any details you can disclose - I'm particularly interested if it will work with an Uptown system?

Happy New year in any case :D
Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixergod ➑️
Hi Scott, any further news on auto.mate? Any details you can disclose - I'm particularly interested if it will work with an Uptown system?

Happy New year in any case :D
Thanks - happy new year to you as well!

Auto.mate circuitry is working great, but we're still trying to figure out how best to implement it into systems like Uptown (which is one of the hardest!). SSL & Flying Faders are looking like they'll be relatively easy.

Do the chips on your Uptown circuit board have sockets, or are they soldered to the pcb?
Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks - happy new year to you as well!
Do the chips on your Uptown circuit board have sockets, or are they soldered to the pcb?
Thanks Scott!

I've bought a console with the Uptown package, it will be installed here in the beginning of February. Until then, I won't be able to answer the question...

I will let you know once I have the console here. I'll take some pics too, I assume you're talking about the controller boards that control multiple faders, not the ISA boards in the automation PC?
If (after I receive the console) you're ever in Paris, I have no probs dropping over with a controller board for you to have a look at - if that helps. It's only a few hours drive for me and I can visit some friends at the same time...

PS. There's this guy that sold a 990 system a while back, there's some pics: [SOLD] Uptown 990 Moving Fader Automation, 24 mono + 1 stereo (EU) | The Mixing and Mastering Forum
It's very hard to see, but I think some chips might indeed be socketed?
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Scott, I have almost 95% of the uptown 990 / 2000 design in my head. Hardware and software. PM me if there's something you need help with. I guess you'll need to hijack the I2C bus. Not brain surgery at all.
Old 2nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Scott,

This product is exactly what I need. I am currently expending from being I. The box for the last several years and I am looking at your setup as becoming mine this month (alpha link w sum.mation). This world is very new to me as I spent 2001-2003 in college working on a soundcraft ghost and adat machines. Since 2004 I have been strictly digital w pc/mac laptop and Motu and logic. In 2009 switched to logic full time and Mac Pro. I am currently running an apogee ensamble w logic. I have a few questions here :

1. How long before AU and vst will be up and running? Will they both be as stable as pt plug in?

2. How would I use ensamble with sum.mation?

The reason I am looking at this unit is because I need more i/o. I Am also looking at ssl, dangerous, lynx aurora, and burl. For the price, cascading, and all I am seriously leaning towards your unit.

I want to get out of the box and into analog summing. I do not yet have a console and on planning on outboard pre, eq, ect for now. I have been stuck in the digital world for close to a decade mastering plug ins I forgot the beauty of analog gear. With money to invest I am ready to spend about 20k to take my setup out of the box.

In conjunction with the sum.mation what in your personal experience are great matches with the unit. Keeping in mind my setup of apogee ensamble running logic. Once plug in is good that's covered but what about other gear? Alpha link looks great, have you tried any others? If I was going to look at boards which might you recommend. I guess what I am asking is, I want to make the sum.mation the piece of gear I build around (again love cascading)... Would love some suggestions

Any one else feel free to chime in, I am super pumped about this unit I really think it blows a few others out of the water though panning would be nice this is pretty legit!

Thanks Scott!
Happy new year all!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
A question also regarding the ssl connectivity with logic. I have been reading that there are latency issues which go beyond the buffer. Have you tried running the alpha link and sum.mation with logic 9 or just pro tools. I have been using logic since version 6 and I do not see myself jumping to pro tools until the last quarter of 2013, due to learning curve. I will am looking to run purchase one of these steps for logic this month :

1. Alpha link and summation
2. Lynx aurora 16 and summation

Which alpha link would be best? Which are you running? Are you recording at 96k or 192? I plan on sticking to 88 or 96 to save I/0, not to mention my ear is not defined enough yet to hear the difference at 192. I am leaning towards alpha link w expansion madi cards if needed. From what I can see price for top end Alpha link is very close to 16 aurora and aurora does not go past 96.

Would love some info here from
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsound ➑️
A question also regarding the ssl connectivity with logic. I have been reading that there are latency issues which go beyond the buffer. Have you tried running the alpha link and sum.mation with logic 9 or just pro tools. I have been using logic since version 6 and I do not see myself jumping to pro tools until the last quarter of 2013, due to learning curve. I will am looking to run purchase one of these steps for logic this month :

Which alpha link would be best? Which are you running? Are you recording at 96k or 192? I plan on sticking to 88 or 96 to save I/0, not to mention my ear is not defined enough yet to hear the difference at 192. I am leaning towards alpha link w expansion madi cards if needed. From what I can see price for top end Alpha link is very close to 16 aurora and aurora does not go past 96.

I use the Aurora 16 personally, and find it to be a fine converter. I have no experience with the SSL converters.

Sum.mation is an analog summing unit and will interface with any converter in the same way, via the DB-25 connectors on the rear. The only connection to the computer is USB.

FWIW, I rarely work at 96Khz, and most of the projects I receive to mix are at 44.1 or 48Khz. For the kind of music I seem to get hired to mix, I haven't found that elevated sample rates make much of a difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixergod ➑️
Thanks Scott!

I've bought a console with the Uptown package, it will be installed here in the beginning of February. Until then, I won't be able to answer the question...

I will let you know once I have the console here. I'll take some pics too, I assume you're talking about the controller boards that control multiple faders, not the ISA boards in the automation PC?
If (after I receive the console) you're ever in Paris, I have no probs dropping over with a controller board for you to have a look at - if that helps. It's only a few hours drive for me and I can visit some friends at the same time...

PS. There's this guy that sold a 990 system a while back, there's some pics: [SOLD] Uptown 990 Moving Fader Automation, 24 mono + 1 stereo (EU) | The Mixing and Mastering Forum
It's very hard to see, but I think some chips might indeed be socketed?
That's very kind - thank you! I'm actually in the San Francisco area these days, and have a studio at my disposal with an Uptown system. I was indeed referring to the control boards. I seem to remember the chips being soldered to the pcb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle G
Scott, I have almost 95% of the uptown 990 / 2000 design in my head. Hardware and software. PM me if there's something you need help with. I guess you'll need to hijack the I2C bus. Not brain surgery at all.
Thanks Pelle! I'll be in touch.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsound ➑️

I'm running a Sum:mation with madiXtreme64 and Alphalink madi AX + pt10.
What CAN give me 64out on 44.1 or 32out (PT10 max outputs) on 96Khz.
Alphalink -> outboard by patchbay what is normalized with the summer -> sum:mation -> analog volume controle -> L/R summed out to DSD recorder (KORG) or back in to Alphalink. Works like a charm know after a nice support help of Scott by skype .
Old 4th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's very kind - thank you! I'm actually in the San Francisco area these days
No probs, I thought I read that somewhere in this or another thread, but one never knows
If I can be of any help, let me know!

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm following the development of this great device for many months.
Its a fantastic idea.

Looking forward for the AU version.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think this great tools is amazing coupled with a Summing/mixer like the Great River MM20.

"You can patch your DA converters into the Sum.Mation, with its Fader Automation system, connected via USB to the host computer [along with the USB - GUI application of the Great River for snap shot recall] and patch it's outputs directly into channels of the MM20. Seems pretty cool to me!

You will be able to automate with the Sum.Mation Interface Plugs, leaving your DAW Faders [physical DA outputs] at unity so you can patch your compressors/EQ or whatever you want on the output of your DA converters, but you would then program automation on the Sum.Mation Unit, so as to trim levels AFTER outboard gear and before they hit the MM20."
Cit: DocMixwell
πŸ“ Reply