Setting up an ATR102 for RMG 911 1/2" tape - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting up an ATR102 for RMG 911 1/2" tape
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Setting up an ATR102 for RMG 911 1/2" tape

Renting an Ampex ATR 1/2" to print some mixes. Printing to RMG 911 tape. I always loved printing to Ampex 456 at +5/185. 911 is listed as a +6 tape. Is there any reason to go +6 instead of +5?? Also, should I bias at +1 according to this chart?

http://www.rmgi-usa.com/resources/Sp.../BiasChart.pdf
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ampex 456 and 911 tape have very similar bias characteristics. I actually only found about 3/4 to 1 db of difference between their outputs. For the past couple of days I've been working on the tape machines in all three of my rooms and some machines are set up and biased for 456 and some are set up for 911. I would get the machine and send a series of tones from 30 to 22,000 hertz through it and check its response. If it's no more than + or - 2 db at 15 ips on playback, I would just go with it. When I'm done working on my own machines, they're usually within + or - 1 db up through 24,000 hertz at 15 ips. High end Ampex machines are notoriously stable.

Dennis
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…